“Mostly positive, but...”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 23, 2006

Love the Alexander for many things: gorgeous old building, reasonably priced, great location close to beatiful neighborhoods and restaurants, nicely done rooms, and a more than adequate breakfast is included. My only complaint is the hardness of the beds. My husband and I love to stay there but after numerous stays this winter, we are really having a problem with the hard beds. The Alexander would become our home away from home in the city if they would just put a softer and more plush pad under the sheet Sounds like a small thing but after all, sleeping is a key factor in our stays.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Southport UK
Reviewed February 1, 2006

Just returned from 6 nights at the Alexander Inn and thought the hotel and the city was fab. The staff Stefan and James were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to help and provide information, John the owner was also very charming and helpful. The rooms were clean and bright, the breakfasts were wonderful in the lounge, felt like being at home. The free internet access was excellent, enabled us to keep a check on the family back home. We gave the fitness centre a miss, after all we were on holiday. Loved the personalised business cards. Would recommend the hotel with these extremely delightful people to anyone. The city was very interesting, lots to see and do, and felt very safe and friendly. All together a very pleasant stay, felt like we were leaving friends behind when we left.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed January 4, 2006

My room was very small, yet very confortable. It had only one single bed, but for me it was enough.
I read some reviews here before traveling, and people complained about being a gay neighborhood... I was a little concearned about staying there alone but... of course nothing happened! There were some Halloween parties around, and some noise from people talking in the street, but nothing that could disturb my peace. And the location is great, just a few blocks from a lot of nice spots in beautiful Philadelphia.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2006

Our cramped room smelled like a dirty ashtray! I went back down to the front desk and requested a different room, but the unkind clerk (who took several phone calls as I stood there and waited for him to help me) told me that there were no non-smoking rooms in that price range, and that we'd have to pay an additional fee to "upgrade" to a non-smoking room. We booked our hotel on-line and were never prompted to choose a smoking or non-smoking room.We decided to leave the hotel, and forge around in the rain for a better hotel -- finding the same deal at the much nicer Warwick Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank fam_travel82
Reviewed November 29, 2005

this boutique hotel is delightful. i loved the area,the friendly atmosphere, the great room, the view from our room. will definitely stay here again. the breakfast was good, too.

7  Thank gabyna
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Just got back from a great weekend in Philadelphia thanks to a charming little hotel on 12th street.The Alexander Inn is a amall, reasonably priced botique hotel. Rooms vary in size,with even the smallest nicely decorated. The staff could not have been more helpful. They made great recommendations about restaurants and were knowledgeable about cultural events around the city .This is a staff that really knows how to make their guests feel welcome.I'm looking forward to my next visit to Philly and my next stay at the Alexander Inn.

11  Thank Laurene35
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2005

My bf and I stayed here for one night but would definitely come back to this inn whenever we return. If you love to stay in cozy and unique hotels rather than a large chain hotel; this is the place for you. I found everyone to be extremely helpful in answering our questions and welcoming us to the inn. We stayed in one of their larger king rooms and this was lovely. Our room had bay windows and a very comfortable bed. We loved the fact that we could open windows in the bedroom as well as the bathroom in order to enjoy the cool evening. The soap supplied by the inn smells wonderful! Breakfast is nice too and is served in a small room with cozy tables and sofas. The decor is wonderful and I loved the inn's ambiance. I highly recommend a stay here! Parking was off site and just meant we enjoyed a nice one block walk to the garage in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business