“A come-back-again hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
A TripAdvisor Member
“A come-back-again hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2005

We came to Philadelphia for a conference in March this year. I chose the hotel on the web, then several of my colleagues decided what was good for me was good for them and also booked -- so I was relieved that the hotel met my expectations! A good location, very welcoming and helpful staff, comfortable rooms, and tasteful design -- far better than the anonymous 1000+ room hotels! And an excellent breakfast (regularly replenished) which set us off to a good start every day. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2005

I reviewed many hotels in the Phildelphia area before I chose the Alexander Inn and I am very, very pleased with my final decision. I arrived at the hotel on July 27th and stayed for two nights (I tried to add another night but waited too late, but they did try to accomodate me). From the moment I stepped through the doors I was impressed with both the historic charm and art deco decor of the hotel. I was greeted warmly by the front desk and they even took the time to showcase dining and entertainment options of interest to me. They are also very careful to inquire as to where your interest may lay so as not to insult the wrong person. Extremely professional and courteous. For me they pointed out some of finer gay bars and restaurants in the neighborhood.

I have stayed in may 4 & 5 star hotels and the Alexander ranks among the finest. The hotel is very well kept and my room was great with a lot of room, especially for one person, a large bay window, comfortable bed and linens, and a very well laid out bathroom that contained all the amenities one would want or need.

The most important thing when visiting an area is to find the right location, and the Alexander offers it. Any visitor to the city can easily reach the historic, arts, and shopping areas with extreme ease. Another important thing to note is the staffs discretion and the feeling of safety both in the hotel and the surrrounding area. The only service I did not use was the parking; you really don't need a car when staying in center city Philadelphia. I plan on returning to Philly soon and the Alenxander is the place I plan on staying at, without a doubt.

14 Thank Peter M
645 East 14 Street
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2005

The Alexander Inn, located nearby to Philadelphia's antique district, is a century old treasure in itself, yet astoundingly, the only hotel I could find less expensive in downtown Philly was Travel Lodge. Recently modernized and remodeled in art deco motif, the hotel's original tiled floors, wood paneling, and leaded glass windows have been maintained to create a charming residence that makes you feel like you are living in old town Philly. The original artwork throughout the hotel is a mix of modern and contemporary. The rooms are small, but efficient, cleverly designed with art deco furnishings and put together in a way that makes you feel you are at home not in a hotel. Even the sheets are beige and most rooms have bay windows! (Our window had wide wooden venetian blinds - how cool is that!). Most importantly, the place is immaculate and there is no stale institutional odor emanating from the bed spreads, carpets and curtains. The staff is very friendly and helpful. When I checked in, I was given my own packet of personalized "in residence" cards with my name and the hotel's address and telephone number. They made a set of cards for my 85 mom too (she's the lady in the pictures).

The continental breakfast is served in a lovely sitting room. Breakfast is a choice of cold cereals, yogurt, coffee, juices, teas, pastry, bagels, waffles, breads and spreads. We dined comfortably seated on cozy sofas and chairs surrounded by vases of fresh flowers, paintings and leaded glass windows which made us feel like we had traveled back in time to a more civil and gentle era. The fruit and pastry is out all day, but, after breakfast hours no beverages are served.

It's about 3/4 of a mile walk from the Alexander Inn to the historic sites in Old City, but there are many means of transportation to get there and tourist buses available that will take you wherever you wish to go. The staff will have suggestions to help you with your touring plans.

Down in the basement is a cute work out room (small but with great equipment), a computer alcove where guests have access to two computers with free internet service, and there are vending machines for snacks, drinks and necessities. If you have a car, the hotel will make arrangements for you to park in a nearby lot for a nominal daily fee. Ice is available on the lobby level. Presently, only larger rooms have refrigerators, but the hotel is upgrading the other rooms as well. Some rooms have showers and tubs (albeit small) and some rooms have showers only. The bathrooms are tiled and very modern.

If I had my wish the continental breakfast would include protein such as hard boiled eggs and/or hard cheeses. Presently it is all carbs.

Note, if you are considering the Alexander Inn you should be aware that this is a gay friendly hotel which means some of the staff could be homosexual and the hotel, although centrally located, is on the outskirts of a "gay" neighborhood. The clientele appeared to me to be diverse and there were several families with children.

I would definately stay at this hotel again and highly recommend it to my family and friends.

30 Thank maddymappo
Champaign, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2005

My daughter and I stayed here before and after the Live 8 concert (not the reason we were in Philly) and we were very pleased with the location of the hotel and the over-all feel of the place. Small boutique with personality. Our room was on the second floor and easily reached by the stairs. We opted for a room with two twin beds and didn't feel like it was too small as some people have mentioned. The bathroom was small but who cares? How much time do you spend in a hotel bathroom anyway? Everything we needed was there -- nearby restaurants, a grocery store down the block, breakfast in the a.m. (cereal, pastries nothing to Wow about but I'd rather save the calories for lunch and dinner anyway), Internet access, fitness center (but we walked more than 10 miles most days so didn't care about that). If my daughter wasn't planning on moving to Philly, I'd stay here again in a mintue but instead, for the near future, I'll be mooching off her for a change!
Recommend this hotel highly. Better than a mega-hotel any day.

12 Thank Udan_Outwort
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2005

I found this place at the last minute, as my computer died and I was limited to using a map of Philadelphia I'd had and choosing from some places that were listed on it. I walked around a bit and eventually found it, asked if they had any rooms available. I was searching out of desperation for somewhere to stay so it didn't matter much, as long as it was clean. The man at the desk was friendly but warned me, "The room is small." Hearing this I wasn't expecting much, but it was only $100 which is less than other places and I needed to find a room soon so I said, "That's fine," and walked to my room. However, when I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised! The room was not as small as he made it sound, it was nice and compact and clean.. I opened the door to the bathroom which was very nice, soap and everything was provided (which smelled really good too, btw!). It was very clean, and when I was looking up from the bed I noticed there was a tv! For some reason I didn't expect there to be much of anything, including a tv, but there was one, with more channels than the tv in the NYC hotel I just spent $140 on. Maybe I'm overrating this place but comparing to what I expected it was great, I really can't complain.. decent price, close to everything, friendly staff, clean, oh yeah, and free internet use inside the gym! I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mesquite, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2005

We reserved a room through Orbitz for May 3, 3 nights. The price was less than $100. The room was so small there was hardly room to walk around the bed. The bathroom was not much bigger than a closet. We immediately went to the front desk and asked to be upgraded. Which they did, at an additional cost. The upgrade room was bigger but not as large as found in chain hotels. This place has been a hotel for over 100 years, but has been renovated. Parking is about 4 blocks from the hotel, no valet parking. We did not take our car from the garage until we were ready to check out, walked to downtown. You park on the street in front of the hotel to load and unload luggage. There was also a lot of outside noise. The staff was very accommodating and friendly but I would not recommend this hotel.

10 Thank murr5
Gaithersburg MD USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2005

Enjoyed our 2 night weekend stay at Alexander Inn. The Inn is in a good location for exploring Philadelphia on foot. The front desk staff was very helpful, the room was clean and the bed though firm was comfortable, resulting in a good nights sleep. Our room had a nice sitting area with two easy chairs. The bathroom was small but functional. We were on the 2nd floor in the front of the building and did not encounter any significant noise problem from the street or from within the hotel. The breakfast room -Parlor next to the lobby - has good lighting and some easy chairs. It is a good place to meet with friends, read books or newspapers or enjoy a conversation in the evening. Had a great dinner at Valanni Restaurant around the corner on Spruce St.

The continental breakfast included in the rate is OK if you like sugar for breakfast. They provided an assortment of warehouse club type pastries, sugar coated cereal and a choice of bagels or reg english muffin along with apples, banannas, and the usual beverages . People looking for fiber and whole grain choices will be disappointed. The server kept the food and beverages well stocked and did a nice job of cleaning up the dirty dishes.

The Inn has an arrangement with an automated parking garage (no attendants - pay at machines) about 2 blocks away. As indicated in other reviews, the rate is $10 max per 24 hour period as compared to the $18 regular rate with no in-out privileges. If requested by the guest, the Inn puts $10 per night for parking on the hotel bill and provides one discount ticket per night to insert in the payment machine to exit the garage. There is no attendant at the exits. Note that the first floor payment machines will not accept more than one discount ticket at a time so if you pay for more than one night, when exiting you will pay the full $18 in addition to the $10 you paid the hotel for the second night. If you exit the garage daily you should have no problem. If you are paying for more than one 24hr period, to get the discounted rate, do not use the first floor payment machines. Locate the security guard who may not be in the security office on the second floor of the garage as was the case when we were ready to leave. A passerby in the garage provided the solution, call the guard using the help button on one of the exit machines at the exit gate near the security office. The guard promptly came and used a computer in the security office to give us the discount. An inconvenience, but it did work.

• Stayed May 2005