“Wonderful hotel in nice area” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Noord-Scharwoude, The Netherlands
“Wonderful hotel in nice area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were happy that we stayed here! Everything is great! The reception, the rooms, the area, the service. All day you can take 'sweet' snacks and fruit in the lounge. The breakfast is very good.
Very attentive personel. The area is dotted with good restaurants. We would certainly stay here again. The parking is cheap and easy to find.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank Anita-Simon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We absolutely loved our stay at the Alexander! Arrived around 2pm by car and were able to unload our luggage and get it up to the room before parking the car a couple blocks away (secure garage, $15/night). We had a king room with great seating in front of bay windows - extremely clean and well appointed. Our room was on the 3rd floor right next to the elevator, which we thought may be noisy at night, but we never heard a thing. The location of the inn was perfect for walking just about anywhere - Italian Market (south side), Independence Mall area, Reading Terminal Market, City Hall, tons of restaurants, shopping. We took the subway (a short walk to Walnut/Locust station) to a couple Phillies games, and we took the Phlash over to the museum area one day. Excellent food everywhere we ate (Moriarity's, Mixto, Pat's, RTM, Brauhaus Schmitz...). We would love to visit Philadelphia again and spend more time, and we would definitely not stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank demmer89
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed at Alexander Inn this May when we were visiting the U.S. for a vacation. This is definitely the best value for money hotel in Philadelphia. We reached 30th Street Station from DC by megabus and it was around $10 by taxi to the hotel. Centrally located and very close (just six small blocks away; around 8-10 minutes by walk) to Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Further there are very good restaurants around. The hotel was very clean with all the modern amenities that one can find in any other 4/5 star hotel though on a smaller scale since this is a boutique hotel. We booked a Standard Queen's room (120 sq. ft.) through their website. This room was quite small but at $129 + taxes = $150 approximately a night we cannot find anything cheaper but of similar quality anywhere else in central Philly. If you wish you can upgrade to the bigger Queen or King rooms (around 50% larger) for $20-30 extra. Buffet breakfast was complimentary (a big factor in selecting this hotel) and comprised of bagels, cup cakes, eggs, fruits, juices, toast, cereals and coffee/tea. Further the snack bar is open day long with some cakes and fruits available round the clock in case one feels hungry. The service was fantastic with the front desk always ready to help out with the nearby sightseeing or eating options. Wifi strength was very good. Go for it - a charming and small hotel in a heritage building.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with Deluxe Queen or King bed for $20-30 extra if you do not want to feel too cramped.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank abbh76
Sevenoaks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were so happy. We arrived at 11am to drop our bags off but we're told our room was ready. Bonus! We were also told we could help ourselves to the breakfast if we wanted.
The rooms are clean and neat, the double bed is a good size and the hotel staff are so helpful, even suggesting routes for me to run.
Complimentary breakfast was nice and set us up for the day ahead.
Great location as well. Really can't find much/any fault. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Bridger79
Severna Park, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed at the Alexander Inn for a teacher conference at the Marriott and convention center. I didn't want to share a room and my mother had stayed here and suggested this hotel. It is a very unique hotel and super cool - staff was great - room was small but perfect for me. LOVED the neighborhood too. The second night I woke up twice to an odd sound - I thought it was my water bottle popping - I had a water bottle and a granola bar unopened and a bag of cashews on the nightstand. The second time I heard the noise at 4 AM I realized it was something rattling the - the wrappers- I got the light on and there was the tail end of a mouse. I double checked the nightstand and there were mouse droppings too. I didn't call down to the desk - because what could they do? I put the food items in the ICE bucket and left the light on and watched TV until it was time to get up. I would have had to pack up if they could get me another room and then get ready for my meeting. I told the front desk in the morning - in private and their response was "thank you for telling us we take this very seriously"... that was it. I left the droppings on the nightstand so they knew I was legit. The third night I was there my family came to town so I got a bigger room with two double beds and more room. Also, very nice. I wasn't sure how to rate this hotel - it was great - is it clean? yes - until the mouse incident - which it is a city - and the response or no comps for 'my troubles" was baffling- Luckily I didn't totally freak out - my co-workers were surprised that I didn't call down immediately- I guess I am a camper as one pointed out and it does take a lot to freak me out- I would have liked some sort of something.... more than the one comment-
The breakfast was perfect and included to start each morning and very nice area to eat in with other guests.

Room Tip: The one double/queen bedroom is small - be prepared it id great for one - 2 not sure - The two doubl...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Renee1208
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Our third time at the Alexander Inn and, as usual, the service and accommodations exceeded our expectations. As an historic boutique hotel, you can expect the rooms to be small, but they are comfortable and excellently appointed. The Innkeeper, John, assures each guest receives first class service, and the generous breakfast (serve - yourself cereal, yogurt, fruit, pasteries, etc) is a great way to start the day. Great local restaurants nearby, and a wonderful walking neighborhood with easy access to downtown attractions. Parking anywhere downtown is a hassle, and pricey, but at least you get a reasonable discount at a secure pay garage 2 blocks away. Great bargain + wonderful services and location = ☆☆☆☆☆ (5 star) rating.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pfefferdog
Westerly, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We booked several rooms for a wedding. John the manager was amazing. He went above and beyond to make sure everything went well for us and our guests. I really can't say enough about the service. I absolutely recommend whether you are staying as a couple or a group.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family