“A gem of an inn!”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Ever have that feeling that you got lucky when choosing a place to stay? I felt that way about the Alexander Inn. It's located in a nice neighborhood within a few blocks of Broad Street, public transit and many great attractions. On one day, I walked to city hall (a spectacular piece of architecture) and realized that I was next to Reading Terminal Market. After visiting there, I realized that I could walk through Chinatown on my way to Constitution Hall, Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell and other historic sites. From there, I strolled down to funky South Street and had a steak and cheese at Jim's Steaks (Hey! I was in Philly!). My single room at the inn was plenty big enough for one person. The bathroom was small, but not too small. I had a plumbing issue with the toilet that was resolved by the staff. My bed was comfortable and the free wifi worked fine. There was a closet with ample hangers and lots of draw space. My room was on a corner and I had lots of natural light coming through my windows which made for a nice ambience. The free breakfast won't win any raves, but it is certainly adequate and I took advantage of it on a couple of mornings. The building itself has a lot of nice architectural features. I often found myself admiring the woodwork, stained glass and artistic touches around the inn. Last and far from least, one of the biggest reasons why I will stay at this inn again is the staff. Pleasant and eager to help, I was very impressed with my interactions with the staff from the moment I checked in right through to my departure. On one occasion, I asked an evening desk clerk if he might have a cell phone adapter that he could lend me to charge my dying phone (I had left my adapter at home). He produced a box with an assortment of items, but none that would solve my issue. He asked me to wait while he went into another room and came back with the adapter. I was grateful impressed with the effort that he made to solve my problem. If I had one minor quibble, I found myself disappointed at the effort (or lack of) by the housekeeping staff in maintaining my room. It was not up to par with the high quality that I witnessed from the rest of the staff. To be clear, it wasn't a big issue. My room was clean, but I was disappointed in a couple of things that were overlooked. That being said, I still intend to make Alexander Inn my first choice of stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank benthere

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights while visitng my son. Great location close to historic sights and in the theatre district. Walked everywhere and there are easy maps and street signs to follow
Enjoyed the murals on many nearby buildings
Walked to the Barnes museum and lived the cherry trees in full bloom along the way
Plenty of nearby restaurants coffee shops and the best gelato in Philly
The staff is kind friendly and very helpful
Great breakfast w/ plenty to choose fro
Highly recommend !

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank CatCalifornia
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Fantastic place to stay in Philly, within walking distance of all the main attractions (Liberty bell etc) and loads of great restaurant. Service was friendly and efficient, breakfast a real added bonus, plenty of fruit, yogurts, pastries, bagels etc. Far better to stay here than some soulless mega chain hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights with our children (9 and 11 yrs). Beds were double and a bit smaller than we typically like, but the price of this hotel was great. It was clean and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The location was great! The continental breakfast was very good as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Bethany A
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed at the Alexander Inn for two nights recently, and really can't find anything to complain about. The location was perfect - within walking distance of all the sights in Philly including Independence Hall, the Reading Terminal Market, the Magic Garden, South Street, Italian Market, and a slightly longer walk to the Philadelphia Museum of Art (about 30 or so minutes on foot). The gentleman who checked me in was polite and welcoming, and made sure I had all the info I needed, like the breakfast hours and wi-fi information (without me asking). The hotel had also prepared a small stack of cards pre-printed with my name and the hotel's address, in case I needed to give anyone contact details while in Philly. Nice touch, I thought.

I paid $129 a night for the standard room, which I thought was great value. The room had everything I needed - toiletries, fresh towels, even an iron/ironing board and hairdryer (which you usually don't find in more budget-friendly hotels). There is even a small gym in the basement and a few computer workstations (not like I needed those). The vending machine in the basement was also useful.

Breakfast was nothing spectacular, but sufficient - cereals, bagels, pastries, all kinds of milk, coffee and tea, toast, juices, yogurt and fruit. I liked that they serve breakfast until 10.30am on weekdays and 12 noon on weekends - appreciated that especially after two late nights in Philly's bars! They also serve snacks and beverages 24 hours a day in the breakfast area - I didn't get to take advantage of that but I thought that was nice.

The room wasn't very spacious, but I didn't mind since I was out the entire day. The bed was comfortable, everything was very clean and most importantly, the hotel was so quiet I slept through the night. Would definitely stay here again the next time I'm back and will recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank intransit111
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I've now stayed twice at the Alexander Inn while attending large conferences at the convention center. It's really a wonderful spot - an easy 15-20 minute walk up to the convention center and Reading Terminal Market. The rooms are small, but nicely furnished. The continental breakfast is generous with lots of options - way better than at chain hotels. And the staff are really nice and helpful. Prices are always competitive. I won't stay anywhere else in Philly!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DBH-AK
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This is probably the best place in Philly to stay at when in Philly. The hotel rooms are gorgeous and the view is nothing short of spectacular.

You know what really sets this place apart? The customer service is amazing. They go out of their way to help you out.

When we go to Philly again we want to stay at this hotel. The free breakfast and assorted pastries and fruit that they have on hand throughout the day is really very nice.

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is the best place to stay when in Philly. Book early they do fill up quickly.

Great place to go to recover if you are in for treatment at any of the hospitals. We were at Wills Eye Hospital and they were all very generous and helpful to us after the treatment. To me this place will always be considered special.

• Stayed: April 2014