“Charming nongeneric lodging”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Even though we live less than an hour from the city, with a January early morning medical appointment in centercity and weather forecasts not good it made sense to spend the night. The Alexander Inn as an alternative to a generic hotel was a very serendipitous find. Our room wasn't spacious but quite comfortable and clean, with a bay window overlooking a typical old Philadelphia street. It was quiet, although surely not so had weather conditions been other otherwise (cold and dismal for us) in the lively neighborhood. The breakfast was more than adequate, served by the cozy lobby area. The quaint European feel is appealing. Prices are fair. Reasonable parking is a short walk away.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SallyWilmingtonDE
Write a ReviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Was a lovely hotel, only bugbear was the noise from the stairs which were adjacent to our room. But otherwise, great location in a really cute part of town, nice room, free wifi, good links to public transport, good breakfast and friendly staff.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SusanHBollywood
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Top ratings for excellent staff headed by Byron who would actually anticipate needs. Maid service people also most pleasant and, well, accommodating of slow movers. Front desk offered us a higher floor, unbid, just for a better view. It's a B+B ambiance, with 48 rooms, very convenient to attractions and situated in a fun and buzzing neighborhood. Room rates are not inflated but hard mattresses need to be more fluffable. Conti breakfast offers among other things, boiled eggs, bagels and scones. What else do you need? Cereal plus other morning cereals and sticky buns also included.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor corner room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 4masei5
Reviewed March 8, 2014

.....except for the rock-hard bed! Seriously, the owners of this otherwise lovely inn need to invest in decent mattresses and pillows.

A doctor's appointment at the nearby Pennsylvania Hospital brought me into Philadelphia for two nights. I live in central NJ and since a snow storm was on it's way I thought it best to be in town within walking distance during a storm.

I loved everything else about this quaint boutique hotel. The desk staff were polite, friendly and helpful but not nosy and in-your-face. I like that. I'm a private person and hate when staff gets too chummy.

Art deco is my favorite architecture and it was a pleasure to get off the elevator on my floor and walk down the hall. Yes, the elevator is tiny, slow and sometimes got a bit bogged down but, heck, stuff happens.

My room was very small but so cozy. The bathroom was perfect. I prefer a shower stall and that's just what I got. The toiletries are some of the nicest I've used. Lots of fluffy, cream-colored towels, too. I had a big window facing the street and since I was on a high floor I could look out over the city. So nice.

I read a few critical reviews of the breakfast. C'mon, people, the breakfast is free. Free food is always delicious to my way of thinking! Anyway, two hard-boiled eggs and hot coffee is my favorite weekday breakfast and the Alexander Inn came through with that. If you need coffee any other time of the day there is a nice coffee shop by the name of Toast diagonally across the street or a Starbucks right up 12th street.

It pains me to not give this hotel a 5 star rating but I just couldn't sleep the two nights I stayed. The bed and pillows were so uncomfortable. I'll be back in Philly in a few weeks and I'm sorry to say I won't be staying at the Alexander Inn. I'll keep track of their website and wait for the news that they've purchased comfortable beds. Then, I'll be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor. Great views.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The Alexander is an older, even historic, hotel that is close enough to walk to many of the sites in Philadelphia. our room was nothing fancy, but very comfortable, clean, and quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent with a good selection. All in all, a pleasant stay and very good value.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Dale D
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I loved this place! Nice people! Wonderfully maintained. Reasonable rates. Great location. Full filled my craving for quaint while still providing comfort & beauty. Great shower! Has windows that open, which might not seem like much, but it made it feel more like home! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank vjckjc
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

The Alexander Inn is small, but beautifully appointed, conveniently located and staffed by truly hospitable souls. Though our stay was short, I would recommend it to friends who like to avoid cookie-cutter chain hotels. I chose the Inn because it was affordable, but I would return for the character of the place.

The rooms are small but the beds but comfy.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple