“Love this place”

Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Denver
“Love this place”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice. The rooms are tiny, but what do you really need when you are asleep? You can't beat the location, it is in a great downtown neighborhood. There are great restaurants within walking distance and cabs are available to take you anywhere you want to go. You do have to pay to park in a garage and may have to walk a few blocks, but what do you expect when you are downtown?
The staff is wonderful!

Room Tip: A room away from the central stairs would probably be more quite than one right by the stairs.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Portland, OR
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Centrally located walking distance from old city, Reading Market and South Philly. Lots of good restaurants nearby. Nice continental breakfast and very friendly and helpful staff. Bathrooms are a bit small but the room was nice and priced appropriately. Would highly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. The corner rooms (2 full bed) have a nice bay window sitting...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jimborooney
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I booked this hotel after finding it on Tripadvisor. First let me say the staff was friendly and helpful. I was only staying one night so I parked a block away on 11th st between Pine & Spruce in a parking garage and walked over. It cost $17 for roughly 9 hours. I had room 508. It was small but that is not an issue to me. I was happy with the size and style. It was bright and sunny when I arrived. It had a bed, desk, small seating area, and dresser with a mirror. It had a full length mirror in the hall and it had a bathroom with a tub. It had a bay window on one wall and a regular window on the other wall. The windows offer expansive views of the neighborhood and they both have nice wooden slatted blinds.Plus all the windows open to let fresh air in. BUT MY FIRST ISSUE is that the room darkening curtains do NOT close on the bay window! The curtains are for decoration and even with the blinds closed, light floods the room! I have NEVER stayed at a hotel that didn't have room-darkening curtains and this was a unpleasant surprise when trying to sleep in the morning. The regular window did have curtains that closed but it was a mute point. In the morning when I wanted to sleep in there was way too much light from the bay window.
MY SECOND ISSUE was that this was THE most uncomfortable hard bed and hard lumpy pillows I've ever slept on! My sleep was terrible. I had read this in a previous review and had discounted it as just a sensitive person, because I have read reviews like that for other hotels that I've stayed in where I had no issues with bed comfort. I have to say, I have NEVER had an issue with any other hotel bed being too uncomfortable for me in my life. But that other person was NOT exaggerating. It was terrible.
A downer but not a big issue is that the room does not have an ipod/iphone radio/alarm/docking station. More hotels are offering this, and I find it a convenient amenity. The room does not have a coffee maker. It does have a blow dryer, iron, and ironing board.
The PLUS side is the free breakfast in the morning. It is a nice spread of toast, bagels, pastries, cereal, fruit, and beverages. This was a refreshing compared to some casinos I recently stayed at. I loved the decor and architecture throughout the whole place too. The vending machine in the basement has toiletries that you may have forgotten, like toothpaste and stuff.
This hotel is in a great part of the city and walking distance to SO MUCH great stuff. Bars, restaurants, theaters, historical points in a great neighborhood and convenient location.
My recommendation to anyone thinking about it, would be to First ask if the room has room-darkening curtain and Second to ask if they have any plush mattresses and soft pillows? Or bring your own pillow if possible. (I have never done this, but if I had to stay here again, I would).
I personally wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Madcutie
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I read a lot of good reviews about this hotel. So, me and my boyfriend decided to spend a Saturday night at this hotel. We got the queen standard room which was priced at $129. We were really disappointed to find out that the room was very small, the furnishings were uncomfortable, and that parking (which is a couple streets down) was not fully validated but given a discount. These were all things that we could live with. However, the worst part was that the hotel had removed any form of control over the temperature of the room. This was the worst nights sleep because in early early morning we woke up sweating bullets and searching frantically for the thermostat remote. We even called the front desk and were informed that the remote was removed purposefully but that they could bring a box fan and we could open windows.the windows only opened outward slightly and even the box fan could not beat the heat. We informed the managerial staff about our discomfort in the morning and they comped us ten dollars and full parking validaion. I do not recommend this hotel, I will certainly never be going back. I dont understand why in the world the hotel would choose to remove Personal control over temperature. Besides these issues th elevator seemed shakey and in need of repair and the hallways were not sound proofed at all. It was not worth the price.

• Stayed April 2012
7 Thank caitlin726
Queensland
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I book a lot of our holiday based on Trip Advisor reviews. I don't know how this hotel has the rating it has. Beds are small and hard. We commented that the sheets felt limp and not fresh. There are no tea or coffee making facilities either in rooms or in the lobby area. When our taxi driver picked us up, he immediately commented, "couldn't you find anywhere better to stay?" This hotel just didn't feel good so I wasn't surprised by that remark.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Iwantadifferentname
Claviers, France
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a top-notch small hotel, perfectly located between downtown and the south-of-South St. ethnic neighborhood. Knowledgeable and friendly staff, excellent continental breakfast, free snacks all day, comfortable and tastefully decorated rooms, clean and quiet throughout. Any number of restaurants and stores within minutes, including the Reading Market. I will stay here again and again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tbaht
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I had a wonderful 5 day stay at The Alexander Inn while in Philadelphia for work. I had a Queen deluxe which was a good sized room for the cost. Very quiet and clean. Fantastic location, close to some good restaurants. Great breakfast and very helpful staff. I even left a day earlier than planned and they refunded my prepaid night without a fuss. Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business