“Well located in the old part of Philadelphia”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Periana, Spain
“Well located in the old part of Philadelphia”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose this place because of its location and were not disappointed. Only downside to that was the hassle of having to park the car some blocks away.

The hotel itself is an old building which has creaky floors etc which all add to the character.

When we checked in we were informed that although some 6 months earlier I had written to them and requested an upper room we were given on on the lowest floor right next to the road junction. We were told it was because they were full. The logic of which escaped me. Found the reception staff efficient with no friendly greeting as customers passed their desk.

The room was fine, bed comfortable, linens ok etc, the bathroom was very small and had a couple of maintenance issues, which on leaving I gave a list to reception so I hope they have been sorted. The main downer on the room was that it was right on the corner by the road junction and as a result was noisy and it had two stree tlamps right outside the window. With only slatted blinds it was impossible to block out the light so it was like sleeping with the lights on! Curtains would be such an improvement.

Breakfast was the customary Pastries etc in a pretty small room so it could get a little crowded. No hot choices.

The hotel is with in the heart of old Philadelphia and we found plenty of places to eat and walked everywhere to take in the attractions. Very much enjoyed the organ recital in Macy's!

All in the Alexander is great for where it is and what we wanted to do.

Room Tip: Try for an upper room to get away from Street noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Pueblo, Colorado
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Centrally located in easy walking distance from most of the Philly must see sites. If you're healthy and not afraid of walking, we even trekked to the Art Museum, about a 30 minute walk. Easy access from the Airport train also. Getting a breakfast is a real plus; the choices are definitely an upgrade over what you usually get at the chain motels, with fresh fruit and better than average pastries, but don't expect gourmet or any warm offerings. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean, but pretty small, and minimalist in their appearance. I would stay here again, but not if I could land another four star hotel in the area at around the same price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband recently stayed at this hotel for the Philadelphia Marathon. He felt the service, food, room and amenities were excellent. The hotel has a bed and breakfast feeling. The rooms are small, but cozy. It is within walking distance from the convention center, dining, etc. which is a plus for tourists or business people. Cabs are easily accessible if you do not want to walk. The room prices were reasonable, too. He would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tina R
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We booked our weekend get-away stay at the Alexander Inn based on the glowing reviews here on Trip Advisor. They were right! The hotel is charming, the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful, the location perfectly convenient (we walked and didn't use a cab the whole weekend), the room quiet and cozy and the breakfast ample (with long service hours - until 10:00 weekdays and noon weekends). We were on the 7th (top) floor and the wifi was a bit week and sporadic, but the computers for guest use next to the work-out area were easily available. Will definitely return whenever we are in Philly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank awh20015
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Refugees from Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey, I cannot rave enough about how well the staff accommodated us and catered to our spur-of-the-moment needs. We didn't expect to be in Philadelphia even just 24 hours earlier, but simply headed west to avoid Hurricane Sandy, to somewhere I had stayed before ten years ago while on a book tour (it's just down the block from Giovanni's Room bookstore), and enjoyed another wonderful stay this time around. The rooms were extremely clean, quiet, and well maintained daily by the maid service. Breakfast was quite possibly the best I've ever encountered (and begins at a decent hour and not too early, and goes until 12 on weekends!), and there were snacks available all throughout the day. All the amenities, including cable television, Internet service, and I particularly enjoyed the gym, which, although compact, had absolutely everything one would need. For a boutique hotel, it is incredibly well-stocked, and DEFINITELY reasonably (if not UNDER priced [how often does someone say that?]) for what you get. The Alexander is also located closely to all of the best attractions that Philadelphia has to offer, including Independence Hall and the Constitution Center, and only a bit more of a walk to Betsy Ross House, etc. I was particularly impressed with the new uptick in new restaurants and bars in the area compared to when I visited ten years ago, and all were great. Perhaps the best part of our stay was quite possibly the best front desk staff I've ever encountered. Usually in a hotel you have your favorites, but ALL of the staff, including the hospitable manager, John Cochie, and even Mel the owner said "Hello," at one point. They all sympathized with our escape from Hurricane Sandy, made
recommendations for laundry and dry cleaning service, restaurants, and logistics and what could otherwise potentially been a horrible flight from a flood was turned into a delightful respite from reality...

Room Tip: Best rooms are the rooms on the "08" line (e.g., 408, 508, 608, 708) with the best views a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I could call myself a road warrior which should let you know I travel a lot for my work responsibilities. This hotel's room for me Tuesday night was close to perfect. Great bed; great pillows; quiet and I could open the windows. Extremely wonderful find for me. Almost perfect. Room and linens spotless.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Washington
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Loved my stay. They made me feel welcome, a home away from home. Easy walking distance to the airport train, convention center, and great food. Thank you Alexander Inn for taking care of me, for making me laugh, for great breakfasts, advanced tipping lessons, and the best food and restaurant recommendations I've ever received from a hotel. I'll return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business