“Incredible location + sufficient lodging + extremely reasonable rate = I will return”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights recently and was pleasantly surprised with the Alexander Inn. The location was perfect since we did not have a car. The main historic sites are easily reached on foot. I recommend it highly. If I have to single out two areas for improvement it would be the shower plumbing did not drain quickly and the elevator "did not inspire much confidence" in the words of my domestic partner.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Anthony B
There are newer reviews for Alexander Inn

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Alexander Inn is a charming boutique hotel - conveniently located, reasonably-priced, and well-maintained. Price is a real bargain compared to the big chain hotels. Lots of restaurant choices within a few blocks, and everything you want to see is within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mimilala
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I had just one night to visit the city and couldn't be more pleased with the accomodations and staff at the Alexander Inn. Hotel is clean, beds comfortable, and it's located within easy walking distance to many of the sights, restaurants, etc... Most importantly it's obvious the staff really cares, One of them even hauled their cleaning supplies off the elevator to make room for us so we didn't have wait to go down to the lobby - they are clearly putting their guests first. Net: I would stay here over any of the chain hotels as it is both well run and has character.

Room Tip: We stayed in a double queen corner room on the 5th floor. We found the additional space and views o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Do_it_right-or_not
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We spent two nights in the hotel. It is very convenient to the market and downtown. All the staff, from the breakfast preparers to the front desk are incredibly friendly and helpful. There are lots of great restaurants in walking distance. We had a room on the street side on a low floor but it was very quiet with the windows closed. The florist shop across the street has spectacular bouquets.
The Alexander is a great deal especially if you do not have a car. We arrived late and I was able to park on the street and then move the car to the lot early the next morning. I would not recommend parking in the lot and walking back to the hotel alone late at night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

What a great deal for a nice boutique hotel smack in the middle of downtown Philly.

I was a little nervous because of the price, but the Alexander didn't disappoint. I stayed in a large and expensive Sheraton near U-Penn the night before and I thought the Alexander was the nicer room and hotel.

Rooms are nicely equipped, with good views of the city and a pretty healthy breakfast is provided every morning. Staff is very friendly and helpful. At less than $200 a night (what it was when I stayed), this place is a steal and I would definitely stay here again.

One thing to be aware of: the hotel is in 'gayborhood,' which you can guess by the name is the gay enclave of the city. In this day and age it really shouldn't be an issue, but I figured I'd mention it for those who might be uncomfortable with it.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank DerrickNYC
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I only had 1 night in Philly, and picked the Alexander Inn based on reviews I had read; I was not disappointed. Although small (which is not out of place for a boutique hotel) the room was very comfortable and clean. Show tunes playing at the elevator waiting areas was also a nice touch - made me smile every time I approached.
The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable, giving excellent recommendations for restaurants in the area as well as providing directions, etc.
The hotel is within a short walking distance to excellent shopping, and literally just around the corner from some fantastic restaurants. It is also very close to the historical landmarks the city has to offer. I would definitely stay there again, as well as recommend to friends/family.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LaramarB
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My daughter found this boutique hotel on line when I was having trouble getting reservations for hotels in Phila. It was just wonderful. The innkeeper and staff were friendly and accommodating. The rooms & bathrooms are small but tastefully furnished and up-to-date. There was a very satisfying continental breakfast served in a delightful room--with "real" dishes and silverware! We were able to leave our luggage there after check-out and picked it up after our day of activity. There was a parking garage a few blocks away and we received a discounted price there from the hotel. There was a small gym and computers in the basement level. It is well located in the city.--walkable to many places, but cabs were readily available. We would definitely return--& observed that there were many return patrons at the hotel. They offered a AAA discount on the rooms.

Room Tip: We understand that there are some larger rooms available. Ours was quite small, but comfortable. It...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple