“Excellent Place!! Hidden Treasure”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #7 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I stayed at the Alexander Inn in December 2007. It is a lovely hotel. The staff was very friendly and accomdating. The contiential breakfast was excellent and the free internet was great. A lovely place and I would stay there again. Its a 5 star hotel without the price. In a great location and you can walk to the main attractions.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,402)

Reviewed January 27, 2008

My husband and I booked this hotel on its website after reading about it on Budget Travel, and were happy to see all of the excellent reviews it received from other guests. The Alexander Inn is wonderful. We checked in around 11:00 am on a Saturday, and the front desk encouraged us to enjoy the continental breakfast while we waited for an available room. Check-in wasn't until 3:00 pm but they had a room ready for us by 11:30. The hotel's breakfast is EXCELLENT--try the delicious granola cereal! There is also a wide array of pastries, fruit, juice, and coffee from which to choose.

Our room was great as well. We made reservations for one of the smaller rooms with a full-size bed and were worried at first that the room might be cramped, but it was spacious and had an amazing street view, so if you are wondering if the 170 square foot room with one double bed might be too small for two people, don't worry, because there is plenty of space.

The staff was always friendly and willing to give advice on great places to eat and fun things to do in the city, and they're always happy to explain public transit. Milton, who is in charge of the continental breakfasts in the lobby, always went out of his way to answer our questions and point us in the right direction.

The location of the Alexander is excellent as well, as you are only a few short blocks from great places to eat and the location of the hotel is very safe, too. We will definitely stay at the Alexander Inn again when we return to Philly!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Foodie26
Reviewed December 27, 2007

Booked this hotel for a last minute, one night stay after checking Tripadvisor as usual and was lucky to get the last room they had. Location is perfect, as I imagine most hotels are as the city is so easily walkable. The welcome you get from the staff is very friendly and nothing seemed too much trouble. So the room wasn't huge but for these prices you should not expect luxury - what you get instead is cleanliness, comfort, friendly service, humour - all the things that make for a great little hotel. I'm coming back here in October and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
8  Thank TimManchester
Reviewed December 21, 2007

We booked our three night stay with the hotel directly on their website to get the best rate we could find. I felt the price was a little higher compared to many cities in the US (maybe those that have more visitiors and competition), but was quite competitively priced compared to other hotels in the Philadelphia city area at the time.

The location was fine for our purposes because we were planning to spend our visit walking through the city and only needed some form of transport (taxi) for travel to and from the airport.

We stayed in an "Intimate Standard Queen" room, which was quite small (even smaller than some hotels in Tokyo), although the bathroom was comparatively larger - I even used the bathroom just to stretch out once. If I stayed again, I would probably consider one of the larger rooms.

The room was clean, amenities pretty good, there was a small TV and a small vertical in-room safe. The desk was a small timber board that swung upwards from the wall and a small bench was used as the seat. Amongst the hotel information provided in the room was a list of nearby restaurants and eateries - we tried one of the pizza joints located a few blocks away and enjoyed some very good pizza.

The free wireless internet (using your own laptop) was okay but I sometimes encountered a few connection/reception problems.

The free breakfast was a reasonable way to start the day, consisting of a good assortment of pastries, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, fruit juices, yoghurt, tea and coffee. I believe the morning's leftover pastries and fruit were made available later in the day for a free snack.

The breakfast area was small and had a boutique, lounge-feel (which was kind of in line with the whole feel of the hotel). We didn't have breakfast at the peak early times (if the peak time was indeed early in the morning), so I'm not sure how busy or crowded it may have become. By the time we were eating though, we never had any problems finding a table.

The staff at the reception and breakfast area were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2007
7  Thank smoothride2007
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Our stay in Philly was complete by staying at the Alex Inn, the staff was VERY helpful in planning our daily outings. Not having to look for a place to have breakfast was great, nothing gormet but enough to get your day started. The Inn is within walking distance to everything. There is a pizza place around the corner that is GREAT and the diners around the area serve good home cooked meals. I would stay here again and recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank plannerCA
Reviewed December 16, 2007

From the moment that I walked into the lobby, I felt like I was amongst friends. The front desk staff were so friendly and helpful on so many levels! They answered any/all questions, had tons of suggestions for places to eat in the neighbood, for all kinds of tastes and budgets.

The (FREE) internet was great. I used it in my room and in the lobby. Having some hand-held food (fruit, danish) always available just off the lobby was great too.

The room was on the small side, but that's fine by me. I'll take cleanliness over size any day! Plus, the ceilings were so high and the window was so big that it made up for any perceived size issues. The bed felt like it was going to be really hard, but I had a really great night's sleep.

I would definitely stay here again when in Philadelphia!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank starzero
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Outstanding service at every level: checkin in, restaurant advice, knowledge of local events including art, music and theater, superb breakfast, and accommodating in every way. Best of all the price is highly competative.

1  Thank Professor-007