“Perfect location, great free breakfast, free wifi, friendly staff, value rates”
Review of Alexander Inn

Alexander Inn
Ranked #9 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 27, 2012

You couldn't ask for a better location in Philadelphia. It is just a short walk to most of the historical stuff in Philadelphia. The neighborhood is very safe in the middle of the gay neighborhood of Philly. The room rates are a great deal especially considering that an expansive continental breakfast is included as is fresh fruit and snacks 24-7. They also throw in WiFi. The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer. They can give you good advice about things to see in the area.

Room Tip: They were doing street construction work on 12th street in late July, so if you are a late sleeper...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I decided to stay in Philly overnight on a whim, and picked this place because it was nearby, had an available room, and was reasonably priced, but didn't expect this beautiful boutique hotel.
The staff was friendly, and the rooms appeared to be all recently redone. My room was on the small side, and the elevator was a bit slow, nothing unreasonable for a hundred+ year hotel.
Overall very charming.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MicahHilgendorf
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at the Alexander Inn. At 10 AM. we checked our bags,grabbed a snack at their breakfast bar , parked our car, and headed down to Independence Hall on foot. Later on we checked in at the Hotel and went to our standard Queen room. Having traveled abroad, I found the room good sized and it had a good room air conditioner (not a window unit). The location is perfect for sightseeing on foot. The staff was exceptional and we were able to purchase a second day's parking pass, which allowed us to once again check our bags and head out to see the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bronek
Lima, Peru
Reviewed July 17, 2012

During my stop in Philadelphia, at my U.S. trip, I spent a night at the Alexander Inn hotel.

Although I had made no reservation, I bekame a very nice room. The bathroom was very modern an die equipment was also very good. The price of the room was more than acceptable. For my surprise. The breakfast was so great. The selection was very large an everything tasted very good. Although there was the opportunity to alwasy geht a small free snack from the lounge area.

I can highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at the Alexander Inn from July 6-July 9 with my teenage son whom I was dropping off at a summer program. We had a comfortable stay during a heat wave. Though the room only had a window air conditioning unit, we kept the room at a nice temperature. However, the bathroom was quite warm as it faced the afternoon sun and had no real access to the window unit. That was the only negative which is quite small. We were welcomed at the front desk by two gentleman who pointed out some dining suggestions and familiarized us with a map which was very hand throughout the trip. I did not eat the breakfast each morning as I am a huge fan of the offerings at the Reading Terminal which is an easy walk. However, the breakfast looked good with cereals, fruits, good coffee, pastries, bagels and hard boiled eggs. I did use the workout room which was in the basement and air conditioned. It was clean and the equipment worked just fine.
This hotel is in a great location and neighborhood. We could easily walk to Rittenhouse, the historical district, etc. There are lots of great restaurants and shops around, yet there isn't too much hustle and bustle. I highly suggest the wine bar right across the street. Great small plates, friendly staff and terrific wine and beer selection.
The Alexander Inn has old school charm that fits Philadelphia well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank krisgia
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I stayed at Alexander Inn with my two daughters and could not have been more pleased. First off, a few people have written about the service - we arrived late and had a wonderful and helpful and friendly check in. I asked many questions throughout my 2 day visit and always the gentlemen at the front desk were so helpful. I especially tip my hat to Juan who helped me out with lots of directions and recommendations. The room was clean, comfortable, and re-stocked and cleaned nicely when we were out. The breakfast was so yummy - fresh bagels and pastries, fruit, juice, and really good coffee. Whatever was left from breakfast was left out so guests could help themselves throughout the day. I also really liked the location of the Inn - in a safe neighborhood and within walking of many of the sites (we walked back and forth from Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc.). To find a Boutique Hotel at this price, with this service, in a major city was wonderful!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SakuraSense29
Tipton, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed July 13, 2012

First, this is not a 5-star hotel. It is a very nice, basic, boutique-style place. It does, though, rate five stars for what it is. Great center city location, about six blocks from the Convention Center. A basic continental breakfast is included. Friendly staff during the day . . . not quite as good at midnight when I arrived, but not bad. Good price and overall a very good deal.

ROOMS
The rooms are very clean and mine was plenty big. I stayed in 301, a corner room that faced out onto Spruce Street. I think this is one of the larger rooms ($159 per night last minute booking).

INTERNET
I did have a problem with the wireless internet connection in the evenings. It was very slow connecting and the connection was dropped many times, but I struggled through what I had to do. The connection in the morning (around 7:00) was quick and steady. It is possible they don't have enough bandwidth to handle a bunch of people being connected at the same time. If you need to do critical tasks for extended periods of time over the internet, you may have trouble. The whole experience was so good, though, that I didn't let this detract from my rating.

PARKING
They have a deal with a parking garage two and a half blocks from the hotel where you can park for $15 per day. You don't get in-and-out privileges, but if you're leaving your car parked, this is a good deal. The $15 per day is actually $15 per 24-hour period and the 24 hours starts at whatever time you park your car, so, you won't get an extra day's charge due to a cutoff time.

EATING AND DRINKING
There is a nice little bar (Tria?) with outside seating directly across the street and lots of places for food and drink within a five block radius of the hotel. The chicken pesto pizza at Zio's Pizza (on 13th Street between Sansom and Chestnut) was pretty good.

Room Tip: I think that the larger rooms are in the corners of the building and they are the ones that cost a b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business