“The most friendly place ever!!”

Apple Hostels Philadelphia
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
“The most friendly place ever!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you are looking for a place where to stay at Philadelphia, this is a great option. The hostel is very friendly, very organized and located perfectly. Its near all the main atractions and its near to all the night clubs as well. There are also activities organized by the hotel at night, it;s perfect. I love it and if I go again I will definetely go here. I made a lot of friends there :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in the couples dorm and found the atmosphere very respectful. The other guests were very quiet so we felt undisturbed despite the room being full. Lights out happens around 10 or 11pm although people quietly read with their individual lights.

We watched movies downstairs a couple of nights and were disappointed the $2 ghost tour was cancelled due to heavy rain. The kitchen is huge and well equipped so it did not feel awkward to use. Free tea and coffee went down well too.

We made use of the laundry facilities which were good value.

The location was fantastic for the historical centre. This has been our favourite hostel to which everything else compares. It is reasonably expensive but I doubt you'd find anything better for the same or lower price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hello,
The staff is quite nice and helpful with directions and such. The place is small and cramped but that is typical of the older area it is in. It was clean and comfortable enough.
What I did not like was the noise level, which could have been avoided. They play the TV in the main room 24 hours a day, at a loud volume. My bed was against the wall which faces the lobby, I had to wear ear plugs to block out the TV noise. The other end of the dorm room had some sort of loud HVAC system, so moving to that end of the dorm would not have helped.
Also, they play music, club music, in the kitchen / dining area 24 hours a day. I dont care to hear music at 8:00 a.m. in the morning. In the evening would be ok.
In summary, the tv and music made the stay nerve wracking, as there was no where to have any peace and quiet at any time. If they were to make some adjustements in that area, the stay at Apple Hostel would be better and I would give it a higher rating. =)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JM P
AppleHostels, Owner at Apple Hostels Philadelphia, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I'm sorry that we didn't do a better job of making your stay more enjoyable. To clarify though so that those reading your review understand, we do not have "club music" in our kitchen and dining area. In that part of the hostel we have internet radio playing a jazz station out of London, England (although currently we're playing Christmas music because of the holiday season). We often have medical students staying at our hostel and they choose to study in our dining area because they enjoy the ambiance there. If ever anyone needs it completely quiet for whatever reason we are able to turn the music completely down. But the purpose of the music is to have some background noise otherwise the hostel can feel very "cold". In our lounge/lobby area we have music videos playing from 11 am and throughout the afternoon. In the morning we have CNN news playing so that our guests can catch up on what's going on in the world and in the evenings we play movies. I understand that the majority of the hostels you stay in are Hostelling International which are geared more towards seniors such as yourself, but we aim to please the majority of our guests who are in their 20's and 30's. I hope this helped to explain the background music/noise in our common area.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Way over-priced for what you get - they charged me $224 for 6 nights and would not give me the deals they advertise on the net. they did not give me the 3rd night for $20 nor the AYH discount despite being a UK Hostel Association member - manager basically almost admitted he didn't like the cut of my jib. Did not let me change TV channel giving some [--] about they only have 2 channels - news and music - which was total [--], the receptionist just wanted music on TV make his shift go easier. They say the male dorm is 16 beds but it's actually 12 bunks - so 24 beds. Only 3 communal showers on that floor shared between whole floor. The toilets are very small and you can see in them as they have large gaps each side of the doors not nice feeling when your on the crapper.

It was fairly clean however - I give them that and was downtown (which is a bonus for touristy stuff).

Manager and some staff totally unhelpful if they take a disliking to you as they did me.
Now being a budget traveler all I was trying to get was the advertised deals nothing special.

However some of the other staff complete opposite and couldn't do enough for me.
So will just depend on who you get and how they click with you for your experience.

Didn't come in Monday night and when I walked in Tuesday afternoon they had packed my stuff and told me they had canceled my stay. - I had booked and payed to the Friday and not sure where the law stands on this in USA so I would caution any of you only do negative reviews after you have left as they get quite upset and may just kick you out.

Worst personable service ever in a hostel yet (been back packing 12 years)!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank bluelionman
AppleHostels, Owner at Apple Hostels Philadelphia, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hi Noel,

When you checked into our hostel you immediately gave both our receptionist and our General Manager attitude because you were upset about a poor experience on the train and because you left your phone charger at your last stop. We found you a free charger out of our lost and found and still you were not very pleased. Then you asked if you could extend your stay because you had only booked 2 nights but now needed 6. We said that we could do that but then you demanded to receive our web package deal that is only available on our website. As it is stated on our website, to receive the package deal you have to make the reservation on our website. Once you're at the hostel you cannot extend your reservation and receive the discount, the regular rate applies.

This made you even more upset then you already were. You then posted some hateful words on our Facebook page, and on your own Facebook page you wrote that you were going to defecate in the middle of the floor in the hostel. That is when we decided that you had to leave as you were now a threat to our other guests. You also harassed our overnight receptionist but this wasn't reported to me until after I had read your Facebook posts and had already made the decision to have you removed from the hostel. We refunded you your remaining nights.

Also, you didn't show us you HI membership card when you checked in. Once you showed us your membership you were refunded the daily membership fees.
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hostel is just nice. Nothing more to it. It is the only hostel in Philly, but saying that, it is clean and safe. The shared rooms are really large, but everyone is quite respectful and the hostel staff are quite strict on lights out rule which is good.

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
North Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The place is renovated and totally new.
Check-in takes a second. A bit of a different system than what I'm used to. Very secure. You need 2 codes to get into the dorms and there's a locker in each room and you can buy your own lock downstairs for 5 bucks. The main entrance and the door separating the lobby area and the dorms upstairs have an updated code which changes every day. There's a locked room to leave your big things.
Downstairs there is a kitchen with all the tools needed to cook. Free coffee and tea all day, everyday.
Free cornflakes every morning and pasta dinner on Wednesday. 2$ specialty tours are also available.
Located about 20 minutes walking from bus terminal and 1 minute walk from Market Street (the main street in Philly).
The rooms are amazing, and so are the showers. Very clean and organized.
There's a TV in the lobby with Wii and a DVD with many movies to choose from.
Internet computers cost money but are a bargain. WiFi available but very slow!

Room Tip: Bring your own lock.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kobbi G
Wales
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked into this hostel after reading a review online claiming it to be the best hostel the writer of the article had ever stayed in. Obviously i was expecting good things and i'm happy to say i was not disappointed!

Its location is the best i've experienced from a city hostel, just a 5 minute walk to the major sights of Philadelphia and with easy access links to those sights further out of the Old City. Considering that the building is an old converted storehouse, structurally i realised that the dorms would most likely be large and this is indeed the case. At first i thought that such a large number in one room would be problematic or in the least, noisy, but in fact the way this hostel is managed is commendable. Lights are regulated so that individuals coming in late do not disturb those getting an early night while the layout of the dorm (couples dorm) meant that at no point did i feel exposed or vulnerable being in such a large dormitory. Spotlessly clean, the rooms were serviced daily and the bathrooms were some of the cleanest i've experienced on the road. Unlike the larger hostel chains that provide great service but rather impersonal, this hostel offers quirky touches like laminated maps and guides to the nearby area attached to the bunks, little hanging baskets attached to each bed for you to place your small items, earplugs at the check in desk, social events every evening and a great team of staff who know the city like the back of their hand. All in all, a fantastic hostel which, for such an ideal location, makes the price still reasonable

Oh, and if you've got a big case, make sure you're ready to carry it up a fair amout of stairs- no lifts in old grain houses folks!

Room Tip: Couples dorm is a great option for women travelling with a few male friends as it means you can stil...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends