“Average but not good!”

Apple Hostels Philadelphia
Geneva, Switzerland
“Average but not good!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I just stayed one night yesterday, I wanted to tell that this hostel is far from the best hotel in the US! I tried HI in San francisco and San Diego and we can not compare them!
Honestly, the hostel is clean and the staff really friendly. However, except that, there is nothing to say good of this hostel!
I paid 40 dollars for a bunked bed in a dorm. It was not written how many beds countains the room. So I expected something like 8 or 10 beds, as usual. When I got there, I found out that the room was 28 beds!! Is that normal? I called that a rip-off! So many in a room, we should pay 20 dollars! (just count how much they earn per night when it s sold out!). Oh and by the way, they dont have any breakfast!
I would say, if you can find any other place to sleep just go! otherwise, let's sleep with 27 other people! :-)

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank alexandra f
AppleHostels, Owner at Apple Hostels Philadelphia, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Hi Alexandra,

We're always sad when someone hasn't enjoyed their stay with us. Since Alexandra is not your real name and therefore I cannot find you in our system, I have to assume by what you wrote that you checked in very late in the day and left early the next morning and didn't really get to experience our hostel to its fullest, which is a shame. If you are looking for the least amount of beds in a room that is called a hotel, and yes, the HI hostels in San Francisco and San Diego have fewer beds in their dorms and are about as much fun as a hotel. We on the other hand are a hostel and believe that hostels are meant to be fun and a great way to meet fellow travelers. That is why instead of a breakfast we have free wine and cheese on Tuesdays, a free pasta dinner on Wednesdays, free mixed drinks before our free pub crawl on Thursdays and free beer every other night. As an extra bonus, we do have free cereal and oatmeal on Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings and we have a discounted breakfast 7 days a week at a nearby 60's diner. And while we do have more than 8 beds in our dorm rooms, they are very spaceous and we're often told that they are much more comfortable to sleep in than most 6-bed dorm rooms, plus they're a great way to meet people. However, if you don't want to meet other travelers I would highly recommend staying in a hotel, or perhaps the HI hostels in San Francisco or San Diego. ;-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights, found it fairly easily, staff were friendly on arrival and pointed out the location of all the relevant areas. I had also accidentally booked the wrong dates but they were very helpful and sorted it out.
The dorm was much bigger than advertised (there may have been 16 bunk beds - definitely more than 16 beds). However it was relatively quiet - main issue was the people stomping past my bed making the floor shake! And the lack of light control - I think main lights going off at a set time is good but 11 is quite late if people are early starters. Especially as every bed had a light as well, it could have been earlier.
A good range of activities on offer though I didn't join in, and the free tea/coffee and weekend breakfast were appreciated.
The kitchen was well equipped, bright and clean as was the common area.
Showers were fine - four shared between the room of 32? females but never more than one other person in there when I used them. And an additional one downstairs too.
Stairs were narrow for people passing but I guess thats the nature of the building.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
AppleHostels, Owner at Apple Hostels Philadelphia, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay! Regarding the lights in the dorm room, we get more remarks about the lights being turned off too early and rarely if ever get any remarks about the lights being turned off too late. We have many check ins before 11 pm, so turning the lights off before then would make it troublesome for everyone checking in and searching for an available bed. The few guests that do check in past 11 pm receive a flashlight to help them find their way until they turn on their reading lamp. To those who say that we turn the lights off too early I tell them exactly what you said, that they can turn on the reading lights that each bed is equipped with. Thanks for writing!
Santa Maria, RS
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I've stayed 2 times in this hostel. It's located in a VERY ugly street, but it's a good location, near historical places, bars and public transportation. The staff is fine and helpful. The dorms are full (almost 20 guys in the same dorm), but it wasn't a problem. The bathroom was always clean.

The main problem of this hostel are the killer stairs. When I was leaving, I had to go down the stairs with two suitcases and another person was climbing the stairs. Lacked space and I fell down the stairs, seriously injuring my ankle (I did a surgery when I arrived in Brazil). VERY CAREFUL WITH THE STAIRS.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was a really nice hostel, we were slightly worried upon turning up as it appeared to be in an alley but it is in fact in one of the oldest streets in Philadelphia and perfectly safe.

We were apprehensive knowing the girls dorm was 32 bed as we'd been in 6 bed dorms that were loud and messy. HOWEVER, this was possibly the best dorm I've stayed in. The staff regulate the lights so they switch off at 11pm and on at 10am, which is great because it means you aren't disturbed when people return late/leave early. The room was very spacious and tidy and you get your own locker (bring your own lock), lamp and plug socket.

However, $40+ per night is way too much for a 32 bed dorm, the general rules of hostel prices seem to be, the bigger the dorm, the lower the price, however this was the most expensive yet largest dorm I've stayed in.

The lack of breakfast is disappointing, they only do it at weekends and say that this is so they can provide entertainment etc in the evening, however most hostels provide entertainment in the evening yet still provide free breakfast, AND are about half the price.

The location and hostel itself are very good, but I would only be inclined to stay again if the prices were lower, or if you got more for your money - ie. free breakfast, free use of the computers.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank AverageGiraffe
Thank you for your comments! Regarding the lack of breakfast... Instead of providing a breakfast every morning (we only have free cereal and oatmeal on Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings) we instead offer free wine and cheese on Tuesdays, a free pasta dinner on Wednesdays, free mixed drinks on Thursdays and free beer ever other night. Our goal is to get everyone to socialize with one another in the evenings. And while yes, if a hostel has different size dorm rooms then the smaller the dorm room the higher the price. We only have one size dorm room so we only have one price. The reason our rates are as high as an 8-bed dorm in another city, is that comparatively speaking we have a better location than those hostels and we have better service. We could cut costs by moving to a location out of the centre, by having poor staff and by not providing free things, and pass the savings on to our guests. But would you rather pay $28 to be in a crappy to mediocre hostel or pay $35 to be in the 2nd highest rated hostel in America?

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and safe travels!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Great staff,very professional yet helpful. Loved the eve beer and good atmosphere. Very clean for such a big place. The thing that really got to me after 2 days was just the sheer number of people sharing one large u shaped room, I think it was about 25 beds in that room. It was just too many for me, I had expected 6-8 as in other hostels. There was large bathroom which wasn't crowded.There were also plenty of lockers, and the hostel felt safe. I did forget my brand new,very favorite watch in the shower and it was gone when I looked for it 10 minutes later :(.Noone had turned it in. But that can happen anywhere. Most Youth hostellers and staff I've met are pretty fine people....still wish the person who found it would turn it in. All in all, location,atmosphere is great, but too many beds in one room. I know space is a premium but it sure would be nice to Divide the rooms up into smaller rooms.

• Stayed May 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights, in a the 16th couple bed dorm.
The room was big and spacious, the hygiene issue is being treated well, however, is you have 16 people in one room it is obvious the hygiene it will depend on guests involved.
The common area is clean and big enough as well as the kitchen.
The location is ideal with some restaurants and touristic places nearby. The staff is friendly and will recommend and help you with your questions.
A nice idea they follow is the thematic night, one night you will have movie night the other could be free pasta night or the bar night….
The only recommendation or issue to review will be the price per night. If you are 1 person it is still acceptable price but if you are 2, your price will become comparable to a standard hotel. They should have special prices for couples or 3 people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! They have bedbugs! & even worse, wen I told the staff this, not only did they blame me (not possible as I'd come from a private residence) but they also demanded that I quarantine all my belongs in bin bags & stay in the same bed for the remainder of my stay! When I refused the manager called me a "little b**ch" & kicked me out! I have never met a ruder individual & such an atrociously bad system for dealing with the bugs. They were still checking people into the same dorm after I had informed them of the bugs. Someone also slept in that bed that night. Disgusting. On the upside, the woman at the front desk was sympathetic & could obviously see it wasn't my fault.

• Stayed June 2012
12 Thank Elainestravels
, Owner at Apple Hostels Philadelphia, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Although it isn't even certain that what you had was the result of bed bugs, we took absolutely no risk and immediately quarantined all of your belongings and everything that you came into contact with and began to wash all of the items that could be washed or dried at a high temperature to be certain that if you did bring bed bugs into our hostel that they would not spread. When you refused to cooperate by not allowing us to wash or quarantine certain items we had no choice but to remove you from the hostel.

The fact that you told us that you had stayed in someone's private residence before staying with us alarmed us because you are more likely to get bed bugs in someone's residence than you are in a hotel or hostel.

It is precisely because we have one of the best systems in place for preventing bed bugs and dealing with them if/when someone brings them into our building, that we have never had an outbreak of them in the 4-plus years that we've owned it. The wellbeing of our guests is of the utmost importance to us which is why when you refused to cooperate we had no choice but to remove you for the protection of everyone else. You brought the problem into our hostel, we tried to help you, but when you wouldn't allow us to do that we refunded you for your stay and asked you to leave.

Although we can't be certain that what you had were bed bug bites, I can say that no one else had any bites prior to you and no one has had any since.