“It's a little bit of France”
Review of Bistrot La Minette

Bistrot La Minette
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistrot La Minette is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Bainbridge
Chestertown, Maryland
“It's a little bit of France”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

You may be a block south of South Street, but as soon as you walk through the door... you could be entering a bistro in Paris... and we've been in many of those in May '12 & '13... so we've got a pretty good standard to make that comparison. The decor... cozy chic, but what else would you expect.

We were here the night before an early flight out the next morning, so we were looking for something light. My wife started with a Kir Royale and I had a Kir Cassis. Instant France. The Salad Verts were fresh and lightly dressed. The Truite Muniere... cooked to perfection. The only problem here is that trout isn't the equivalent of the sole from the cold Atlantic waters that is the traditional dish. The accompanying veggies, especially the haricot vert (green beans) were crisp and sweet. We went with a small pichet of house white with our entree.

Add a cafe for dessert... and Voila... a little bit of France in Philly.

The service is friendly and attentive. The menu is an attractive mix of French specialties.

You probably can spend much more at some of the 'more' French local establishments, but you'd probably have to go to France for anything better.

• Visited May 2014

Philadelphia
“Outstandiing French Resturant”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Went for diner April 12th food was outstanding, service and atmosphere were ok. My wife had the trout and I had the short ribs both were excellent. Very rich and filling we split a small desert. Greta special occasion place and I image it to be just like a bistro in Paris.

• Visited April 2014
Sharon, Vermont
“Outstanding”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have eaten at Minette several times, and look forward to it greatly. Our most recent experience was no exception-- outstanding meal in a great setting, with very good service. My spouse had the trout which was just outstanding, and the rest of the emal was exceptional as well.

We would certainly say that this restaurant is in the top 5 of Philadelphia, and is much less expensive and less ostentatious. Even though the food is consistently good, the place has a "homey" feel that doesn't impose a feeling of self-importance or huge egos in the kitchen.

• Visited April 2014
Medford Lakes, New Jersey
“Paris, No, Philadelphia”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

It was my Birthday...My family rented a beautiful limo, and whisked me away from New Jersey to Philadelphia. I watched he scenery go by, sipping Champagne, and suddenly was dropped in front of the rather unimposing facade
of a little restaurant with a charming French name. When we walked through the door I was magically teleported to Paris, From the ceilings, to the gar, to the lovely ambience and tasteful decor, the warm and attentive team of wait staff and the matre de, it was French to the "T". And then came the food...it was a transformation, magnificently presented, elegantly served, deliciously prepared, every bite a delight from the escargot to the meat to the dessert. We were in a little private alcove, there were 12 of us, and unlike most restaurants that do parties, each dish was perfectly prepared and served together. My wife and I will absolutely visit this place often,

• Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“ambiance française”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I admit I'm a sucker for ambiance française, but Peter Woolsey's place gets a gold star. Maybe having a French wife and going to France often helped him acquire all the je ne sais quoi "stuff" that gives the small room the authentic flavor of an actual restaurant situated across the pond.

In New York, I'm accustomed to hearing French accents spoken by the wait staff in French restaurants. Okay, so Philadelphia isn't New York....I established that when I asked the waiter a question about something on the menu. He didn't quite get my French accent. Perhaps as an apology, the chef sent a lovely plate of Escargots à la Bourguignonne to our table. They were as garlicky/yummy as I've ever tasted.

My husband's trout was tasty, albeit a smaller portion than an American male would hope for. Dad's duck was tender and succulent, and my Royale Truffé (black truffle custard, mâche, peas, crispy shallots) was an experience to eat: smooth and flavorful.

I would have loved the place if that was the extent of the experience. That the chef came out of the kitchen and sat and chatted with us about his recent trip to Lyon added charm to an already charming and delightful venue.

• Visited March 2014