“I don't give many "5" for restaurants, and I'm picky about steak...”
Review of Butcher & Singer

Butcher & Singer
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & Singer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 4,405 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station. Market-Frankford El – 15th Street stop (City Hall)
Abilene, TX
“I don't give many "5" for restaurants, and I'm picky about steak...”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I do steakhouses - Bern's, Flemings, Capitol Grille, etc. This was outstanding. The service was attentive and professional, prompt but not pushy. Steak (ribeye) was marbled but only lost 12% to marbling - just right. Cooked as I asked (burned outside, red inside) - I will be back.

• Visited April 2014

Baltimore
“Great restaurant, food and ambience”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was our first visit to Philadelphia for many years, and I chose this restaurant for my wife's birthday dinner; we both loved the place. There is plenty of space between tables and booths, and lots of rich, dark wood and leather helps add to the atmosphere. The service was excellent, as was the food. Our steaks were cooked to perfection, as were the side dishes we ordered; these were so plentiful, they could have served four people quite easily. It was a cold, wet night in early April, and so we both chose the French onion soup to begin. While this was also wonderful, it did not leave me room to try the baked Alaska as a dessert, so I shall just have to go back the next time we are in Philadelphia!

• Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
“Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Went on a Sunday night so there weren't too many diners BUT it was perfect for us. The decor of this place is SO FUN! It was an old bank building of some sort and decorated like the 40's maybe? The music was jazzy and perfect for the vibe! Since it wasn't too crowded, the meal was served very readily. Steaks were cooked to perfection. The stuffed hashbrowns were YUMMMY as was the brussel sprout side. It was just a very fun night and great atmosphere! Will go back!

1 Thank ANN S
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chef has a heavy hand with the salt”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Like other Stephen Starr restaurants, the decor is extremely nice as is the waiter/waitress staff. My main complaint is that my filet and lobster had too much salt; usually a sign of a poor chef or cheap food, which this food was not cheap. The baked Alaska was marvelous. The staff never took our coats and I unfortunately dropped food on it, now to have it dry cleaned.

1 Thank Sally J
Northampton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Night in the city”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great dinner with the best of friends at Starr's Philadelphia steak house, Butcher and Singer.
Very good delmonico perfectly medium-rare, we had the recommended stuffed hash browns and they did not disappoint. The wedge salad was very good as was the side of fresh asparagus. Wonderful wine list made the dinner. The atmosphere was wonderful, great downtown building.