“Steak to die for”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Butcher & Singer

Butcher & Singer
Reserve with OpenTable
Butcher & Singer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 15th Street
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station. Market-Frankford El – 15th Street stop (City Hall)
“Steak to die for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a place that takes its steaks seriously. The room is very impressive, large and with a very high ceiling, which keeps the buzz to very tolerable levels. It is also very dark. It is always puzzling to me why restaurant owners think their patrons would like to sit in a place where they have trouble reading the menu for lack of light... We had half a dozen of oysters for starter and then went for the porterhouse with mashed potatoes and cream spinach. The oysters were nice but very tiny. The main course was just perfect. The quality of the meat was terrific and it was cooked to perfection. The mash was buttery smooth and the spinach really wowed us. There is a reasonable choice of by the glass wines. Very satisfying, even though the waiter was less than perfect.

Visited August 2013

New York, New York, United States
“A Solid Steak, But...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was a great meal! But, I have some critcisms - the porterhouse for 2 was a bit small - definitely smaller than the ones I am used to in NYC (which might explain the slightly lower prices). Overall, the portions were on the small side. I also did not love our table (my seat had a view of the kitchen in front of me and a column blocking my view to the center of the dining room). If the restaurant had been packed I could understand the necessity for using this table, but the place was pretty empty when we arrived and througout our meal. In summary, the food was well prepared, the service was good, but our experience was somewhat dampened by the portion size and the location of the table. I would give them another chance.

Visited August 2013
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
“Decent Steakhouse experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were really excited to go to this restaurant and had a decent meal. The ambiance was great, a terrific space that has a little history to it. Our server, Donovan, was really good. The food was typical steakhouse fare and was very good, although I felt that my Porterhouse was a little too salty, but that may have just been my own personal preference. All the staff we encountered were friendly and attentive. Overall I would recommend and will go back sometime in the future.

• Visited August 2013
Canada
“One of the best steaks I've eaten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the concierge at my hotel and boy did they get it right. Prices were cheaper than some other steakhouses nearby yet the food and experience is unmatched. I'm craving another steak from there as I type this.

Visited July 2013
Medford, New Jersey
“Great Steakhouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We went to this restaurant for our wedding anniversry and were not disappointed. The food was great, the ambiance was very nice and the service matched both. If they have it, try the lobster mashed potatoes with your steak - simply to die for! We would recommend this restaurant for sure.

• Visited August 2013