“Historical Area Lodgings”
Review of New Market B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
New Market B&B
Ranked #19 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Englewood, Florida
“Historical Area Lodgings”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is the perfect location for the historical area. That was our main interest in visiting Philadelphia but we ended up walking to the center city area and back--Philly is easy to walk around. We stayed on the third floor and would warn anyone that the stairs are very steep and winding,. We did fine with them since we just took our time going up and down. The bedroom was quite large and had lights of light. The bed was quite comfortable. There are lots of dining options within a few blocks of the townhouse. Norma served a lovely homemade breakfast. Parking was $22 a night on the weekends and was two blocks away. This is an excellent inexpensive option for those interested in staying in this area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kglen1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
LanaD_11
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our stay with Norma at New Market B&B was an eventful one to say the least!

On the first night we got there, my husband had to be rushed to hospital. At 3am I rushed downstairs and had to wake poor Norma who was quick to call an ambulance for us. She even specified which hospital the paramedics should bring us to. Unfortunately, my husband had to spend several nights in hospital so I was commuting back and forth from the B&B to the hospital. Norma was absolutely lovely in the way she looked after me at this overwhelming time. She ensured there was always a lovely breakfast waiting for me and really made feel as though her house was my home away from home. She was genuinely concerned about my husband's well being and was very caring.

Thankfully, my husband was back on his feet again after a couple of dreadful days. We were able to extend our stay with Norma who was happy to have us. Nobody wants to get sick on their holiday, but thankfully we had someone as lovely as Norma to look out for us.

The B&B itself was very well maintained. It was very central and walking distance to many attractions. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The breakfasts were lovely. The buckwheat pancakes were delicious! Norma has lived in Philadelphia for many years and was very knowledgable about the area.

I would certainly recommend this B&B for anyone looking to stay in Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LanaD_11
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was my fifth stay at New Market B & B and once again, I had a most enjoyable stay.

With just two rooms for rent, this marvelous old townhoue feels intimate, private and cozy.
I experienced the 2nd floor room this time...a double bed and large bathroom with exposed brick walls and a solarium window.

(The 3rd floor room has two twins or one king and also lets in lots of light)

Both rooms are spacious and have private baths.

One day, breakfast was a yummy buckwheat crepe with honey. The next morning, baked nested eggs were served. Coffeee? Some of the best I have ever had!

New Market B & B also boasts the ideal location...two blocks to lively, colorful South Street or The Spirit of Philaldephia, and enjoyable strolls to The Seaport Museum, The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and the Constitution Center. We leave our car in a parking garage just two short blocks frm the B & B and walk everywhere.

This is the perfect place to stay for couples, girlfriends and business people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank LindyHikes
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We always appreciate staying at New Market on our annual Phiadelphia visit. The rooms are pleasant and comfortable, and the location is perfect. Society Hill is a stunning neighborhood, and an easy walk to so many attractions.
Norma is a wonderful hostess, very warm, down-to-earth and knowledgeable about the city. By now, it's like visiting with a friend. And she's very gracious about accommodating to a guest's schedule.

We finally learned the simplest way to get to the historic district or the Ritz Theatres, especially at night.. 2nd Street runs into a maze of large apartment buildings and staircases, and just kind of disappears for a while. So just head up to 3 street and turn right. It's an easy walk to everything along another pretty street featuring all sorts of interesting historic plaques.
The second floor room doesn't have a clock or radio, so I bring a travel-size one especially if I need an alarm.
The bed is very comfortable but on Friday or Saturday nights, Lombard Street -- just around the corner from hectic South Street -- can get kind of noisy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carly5
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed in the second floor bedroom and it was very nice and spacious. I had some reservations about the size of the bed (it's a full/double sized bed) but it was definitely comfortable for two people. The room was generally clean although I did notice a slight layer of dust on the mirror. The room locks from the inside however there's no way to lock it from the outside. It wasn't an issue for us though since it would've been easy to track any potential thieves given that there was only one other guest room. The hostess did go into the room to make the bed while we were out. I also liked that she asked us what time we wanted to eat breakfast. The location was a comfortable walking distance from Independence National Park and one block away from South St so there wasn't a lack of dining options. It was overall an excellent stay and I would highly recommend the place.

Room Tip: The stairs are very steep so I would recommend packing a bag that's easy to carry in one hand or...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This was my fourth stay and New Market B & B.

The location is ideal! New Market is situated on a sedate, classy cobblestone street, just two blocks off the highway. Most historic sites are within walking distance, you're one block from edgy, funky South St. and art museums are an easy trolley ride away. That, alone, is reason to stay here, but it gets better. The house (an historic row house) is clean, quiet and well-appointed. Breakfasts are healthy & delicious and your host is quite knowledgeable about the city's history as well as current cultural offerings.

There are grocery stories, a CVS and a several restaurants witnin a 2 block radius.. There's also a fair-priced parking garage nearby (a necessity). All good as the neighborhood begs to be explored!

I recommend this marvelous B & B for couples and friends.

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet despite convenient proximity to the highway. The 3rd floor room has two twin beds th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LindyHikes
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We are so happy that we picked this B&B. It was odd that you have to enter your credit card info through a B&B website, without contacting that location directly, but now I see it is in the best interest of her, as a homeowner. It all worked out well and we weren't charged until the actual check-in date.
We debated between this place and the Thomas Bond B&B. This one is a home, while the other is commercial. I much preferred this location once I saw the area. Thomas Bond is right across from The City Tavern (which is so cool), but there isn't a great neighborhood surrounding it (it is right in the city center, but not much happens there after dark.) New Market is in such a great neighborhood with lots of pubs and restaurants less than a block away, and the price is hard to pass up. Also, South Street is a block away, which is where all the places to eat are. I wasn't crazy about the street after dark, but during the day or evening, it offered a lot options. All the surrounding homes are colonial row houses and just walking the few blocks to city center is almost as lovely as all the historic sites.
Norma is lovely and helpful and full of information. She did make super breakfasts each morning at the time you prefer. They weren't just ho-hum meals either. Another poster described them and two were the same.
We stayed on the third floor with the King bed and private bath. Great space with a tiled bathroom and lots of towels. It's not important to mention any small imperfections as this is B&B at its best. Stairs are small since it was built in the 1800's, so just be prepared. We had a larger suitcase but with some work, got it up.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are only two rooms. One is on the second floor and the other on the third floor. I peaked in...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple