“Stay at your own risk”

Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center
Ranked #65 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 25, 2010

we booked a 2 night stay at this hotel and it was horrible. First and foremost if you are not familiar with the city you will have a hard time finding the hotel, it does not look anything like the picture they have posted. They have no self parking, only valet parking, who knows where at $20 per day plus tax. The hotel is located in the ghetto, so ladies if you travel solo better watch out, it is scary; no restaurants in the vecinity, construction all over. The room was filthy, the bed linens were stained, the carpet was stained, there was trash in the room, the tile in the bathroom was grimy , there was dust all over, the room is so tiny if you lay down on the bed the AC is in your face. The use a lense that adds depht to the picture reason why the room looks average. We regret booking this hotel, we never spent the night here. We ended up leaving and moving to the 4 points sheraton on 17th street. Sheraton has the worse customer service ever. Hilton and Hyatt treat their customer so much better and your business matters. Paying top price for a room, and when you arrive it is a dump. Do not stay here pay a few dollars more and pick a different hotel it is so worth it. I was trying to save a few bucks and thought that being part of Sheraton it could not fail. I filed a complaint with Sheraton corporate and all I received was an email from a Steve Dugan manager of the hotel but he never had the decency to call or to personally inspect the room. After being bounced around by probably the entire customer service personnel in the "corporate center" I was told my complaint was closed. WOW now I'm making sure I glue all the pictures I took and which I shared with the so called corporate center and share it with all the hard working americans like myself who were completely fooled by this company

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ocean760

Reviewed August 19, 2010

I had a business conference in Philadelphia and this hotel was close. It was a decent price, but beware. When I entered the room I caught the scent of moldiness. The room was very small which they try to use as a plus by trying to play on the idea of a submarine (round glass in the bathroom door). It was late, so I went to sleep. Up early the next morning preparing for my conference. As I lay on the bed surfing the tv channels I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. There was a GIANT CENTIPEDE scammering across the sheet next to me!!!!! I had spend the night with a centipede!!!!! When I insisted on another room, I was assured that I'd get a king bed upon my return from the conference. I arrive to the front desk, and now i have to be subjected to the manager and the customer "service" person discussing whether or not I have grounds for a new room.... After they finally find my morning complaint in their system, they agree to move me to another floor and offer me a free breakfast. BREAKFAST??? I'm supposed to be excited about eating at a place where a centipede is in my bed???? I'm totally disgusted, but not pissed off until I get to the new room... I'm in the starwood preferred guest program... this is a starwood property... and it took a nasty disgusting tramatizing experience like waking up to a bug in my bed to get a decent room. The second room SEEMED newer nicer cleaner. BEWARE... stay somewhere else even if the price is much higher. I only wish I had thought to take a picture of the dead carcass tosplatter it all over the internet!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank DeborahFromVA
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Business brought me to Philadelphia and this hotel was close in proximity. The bed linens are absolutely gross, they are dingy and seedy. They did not smell fresh and both pillow cases were soiled. I just folded up a bunch of towels and slept on them. There was hair on the bathroom floor- which did not belong to me. I asked the front desk to clean the bathroom and change the linen. When I returned to the room, they had not been changed, which prompted me to pull the sheet up only to find hair on the mattress pad.
Needless to say, I will not stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Ajetlgd1
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My friends and I went over to Philadelphia this last weekend after a 13 hour bus ride to watch a live Deadmau5 concert and enjoy the nightlife or culture of philly. However, it turned out to be a complete disaster for us thanks to this poorly maintained hotel. It was located in a pretty shady looking block right next to Chinatown but it was also conveniently close to a lot of the attractions in Philly so that was the only positive bit going for it. There was no free parking so we had to park off at a separate garage nearby to save some money. The hotel looked nice at first from the outside but however the rooms were complete garbage. The lack of a fridge inside the rooms was understandable since it wasn't really in the room description online; it is however a bit of an annoyance to find rooms in a highly rated hotel in 2010 with no refrigerators.

First sign of trouble: the thermostat in our room was broken and kept blowing out warm air. There was no way to reduce the temperature since it was already at the lowest settings.

Second: We found empty bottles of drinks near the bed, probably from the previous visitors in that room. Lack of cleaning from the staff?

FINALLY the biggest disappointment: Our washroom's shower knob broke off easily after a slight turn and the entire room was steaming hot and it was worse than being in a gym's sauna. There was no way to turn the shower off and there were no maintenance employees working there at nights to attend to these problems. The fire alarms eventually turned on because of the steam but no one was able to shut the hot water off. No one was able to help us resolve the problem, some random employees came in and tried different things but they couldn't accomplish anything since they didn't even have access to a maintenance closet with basic tools.

A big hotel with NO tools or personnel available for emergency situations like this on a Saturday night? All we needed was a wrench or a set of pliers to shut the shower off. We were forced to sit around for 2 hours while missing our concert, which was the main reason why we came to philly in the first place. The front desk staff didn't help much at all while we were completely helpless and stressed out. We had to repack all our belongings from our room and leave because it was getting way too hot inside. They finally gave us 2 new separate rooms as an effort to reimburse us but the damage was already done since we missed our deadmau5 concert and had the worst hotel reception possible. They offered $20 to pay for a cab to catch the remainder of the concert but it was already too late by the time we left and reached the place.

In the two new rooms given to us, one of the thermostats was stuck again and didn't work. One of the rooms had another loose / flimsy shower knob that was just waiting to break again, we decided not to use it after what happened before. The other room's shower door did not keep the water out properly because the rubber and plastic was missing, resulting in a flood in the floor each time the shower was used.

Bottom line: Nice looking hotel with horrible washrooms and terrible staff. Please read up other reviews about this place before booking anything here! It will save you a lot of time and may not ruin your trip like it did to ours.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank s2kazi
Reviewed July 22, 2010

First this hotel is extremely difficult to find, after driving I don’t know how many times around the blocks…. because the main entrance is not on Race Street and the hotel is not well actually not at all indicated. The front desk service and staff service is bad and rude. Outside of this hotel, is a bit scary, doesn’t feel safe and located the on scruffy block. No free parking $24.000 per day. The room was small comfortable, good quality bed, clean, nicely furnished and the bathroom was nice and decent size. The hotel is right next to the Convention Center and a block from the famous Philadelphia indoor market and the Chinatown.

Will probably never return to this hotel again

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for two nights while sight seeing around Philadelphia. It was a little more expensive than what we would usually pay, but we had a lovely stay. We had a 3rd floor room, the view wasnt anything special but the room was big, with a generous, very clean bathroom and HUGE comfortable bed. The reception staff were very helpful, as were the bar hotel bar staff. Very close to the Reading Markets and downtown Philli and the hop on hop off buses can pick you up from the hotel in the morning. Would definately recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2010

First, the good, got a great deal on two rooms, the rooms were clean, very nice tv. Now the medium, the first night we were there they came and cleaned the rooms, although, my son's bed was not made and a note was left saying his belongings (a pillow) were on the bed. I guess they only noticed because he had a covered pillow case because we all had our own pillows on the bed. No big deal, as long as I have clean towels I'm happy. Now, on to the worst of it. One outlet didn't work, one was sporadic, which I guess would not be a big deal to some. But, when charging 3 cells phones and a laptop it becomes a major inconvenience. Not all the lights worked. The rooms are tiny, so if your claustrophobic, go elsewhere. The a/c kicks on literally every 7-10 minutes, it is very loud. Unless you are in the bathroom it blows directly on you no matter where you are in the room. We had to stack our pillows just right on the bed so it wouldn't blow on our faces.We had two rooms, and the set ups were the complete opposite, but the situation was the same. When the a/c is not running every noise from the street echos thru the vent, just as loud as if you were actually standing on the street. No clue where the ice machine is, maybe you had to ask at the bar, Oh, and it costs an additional $24 a night to park!!! If you're lucky you can make a deal with the parking lot attendant across the street.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family