“Not a problem to be had”

Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center
Ranked #62 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Williamston, North Carolina
“Not a problem to be had”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Checked in Friday night after midnight. We had driven 8 hours and worked 1/2 day prior to the drive and we were exhausted. We were warmly greeted by Kyle at the front desk. Kyle is an assest to this hotel. He was professional, friendly, attentive and very helpful. The other staff members we encountered during our stay were very professional but not exactly warm and friendly. The hotel was clean. I could hear some street noise but nothing to keep me from sleeping. I would not want to venture out after dark alone walking but I was with my 12 year old daughter and husband so I did not feel uneasy about walking near the hotel after dark. Did not like that the hotel lounge did not serve dinner on Sunday night as there are not many other acceptable, reasonable options near the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share it with others. We are glad that you enjoyed you stay with us an hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Italy
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights in January. Located right off Market Street, it's a good find for a convenient location. Near City Hall, shopping area, Chinatown, and upsale dining. If you want the historic area it's only a 20 minute walk.

Room was sufficient except for the heating, there is a large panel in the room that allows cold air to get in. The heating never really got going, even when set to 80F it took hours to get just warm. The staff was nice enough to try to fix it but it didn't really work; though they did offer a room change.

We didn't realize the noise level until 2am, when other guests arrived back. Walls are so thin you can hear almost everything next door, it was like they were in our room.

Those are the only two factors that affected the rating. Otherwise a good location for the city.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do appreciate your feedback and have begun to address the draft issues from the in-room heating units. We hope to see you again.
maryland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is centrally located near Chinatown and the convention center, making it pretty easy to get around, walk to a million places (especially dining establishments) and hop on public transportation. However, even though the location is central, at the same time, it is somewhat isolated from the hustle and bustle of the busier streets. This can be a good thing or bad thing. Good, because there's less chaos/commotion, but bad because walking back at night can feel pretty sketchy particularly when there's no event at the convention center so the immediate area within a couple of blocks can be pretty dead.

For the most part, the hotel is nice. The room is small but fine, the bathroom fixtures are newish, the furnishings are clean and modern... Sure the flooring looks dated, double beds feel small, there's no fridge/microwave in the room... but overall it's above-average clean and nicely appointed. the front desk staffers were extremely helpful and even brought up towels immediately when I called after I noticed that housekeeping forgot to replace our old ones. They were also great about greeting us and informing us about the basics when we checked in. And I loved that they provided free coffee in the morning and free warm cookies and hot cocoa in the afternoon. The "business center" in the open lobby was also fine - easy to get on the Internet for a second. There's no pool, but there is a fitness center in the basement with a variety of bikes, treadmills, ellipticals and weights.

But my biggest complaint is that the room heater was SO LOUD throughout the night as it kept kicking on with a loud extended rumble that would last more than just a few minutes. I woke up at least three times my first night just because of this noise, and it was so loud that I don't think that a white noise app or machine could even drown it out. (Granted, by the second night I was so tired from the disruptive sleep before that I only woke up once...) Even despite getting a great deal on Hotwire for the hotel, I would avoid it in the future just because of the HVAC. If they changed these systems, it would make a world of difference.

Valet at $24/day is not cheap, but is actually cheaper than other hotels I've stayed at in the area, and I prefer it for the in and out privileges (meaning you can come and go as many times as you want and it doesn't affect the price). They ask that you call the front desk about 20-30 minutest before you have to leave because that's how long it takes to get the car. That was fine with me... although I did notice one of the valet guys had leaned my driver's seat way back and had pumped up the radio on the local top 40 station. (I'm more amused than annoyed by this)

So all in all, it's not a bad hotel. And if they changed their heater system, I'd actually call it pretty great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Timothy P, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to list such a detailed helpful revew for our travlers. I agree about the heater noise they are heat pumps and tend to be a little louder than standard hotel PTAC units but do allow you more flexibility especially with the ability to run the AC during cold months if needed. We have a fix in progress and should have it completeted by the end of January. We would appreciate it if you give us another try after that time.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in on New Years eve. The hotel itself is very average, the rooms are small and a bit dated. The staff, however, made up for some of the hotel's lack of charm. The staff was very helpful and nice. The hotel also contains a decent eatery/bar - the Cherry Lounge or something like that. When I first arrived, I was a little concerned about the area but it turned out to be completely fine and much more centrally located than I had expected. Good for people looking to explore Philadelphia's tourist attractions. Also, very close to Reading Terminal Market and Market Street Station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy P, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Philadelphia City Center, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for the review however even though you mentioned great service, average is not what we are in business for. While we are only five years old we are working to upgrade features and also plan to update the restaurant menu this February. Hopefully we will see you again and earn a better than expected status.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel and room were very clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was pretty small, but that's to be expected when (a) you're not a premier member and (b) you're in the middle of a big city. Check-in was easy and check-out was also pretty easy, though it took a long time for them to get my car back from valet.

There was an armchair in the room angled towards the bed-- every time I walked past it, I slammed my knee into it. The room was way too small to have this additional armchair and it was especially annoying when I walked into it on the way back from the bathroom in the middle of the night.

The bathroom sink only gives warm/hot water when you turn the faucet ALL the way on, which means the water is on super high blast. I got water EVERYWHERE when I tried to wash my hands.

My final (and major) complaint is the HVAC system. The room was chilly when we walked in, so we turned the heat up to 72 degrees, and switched the thermostat from "auto" to "on" so the room would warm up more quickly. The "on" position worked like "auto," though: once the room reached the temperature, cooler air would come from the vents, then warmer air after 20 minutes or so to get back up to 72 degrees. The problem is that the cooler air vent NEVER turned off and is, inexplicably, aimed directly at the pillow section of the bed. I got cold air shot into my face ALL night. I got up and turned the thermostat to "off" (a chilly room is better than cold air in my face), but it NEVER turned off. I had to build a sort of pillow fort on my left side to try to block the cool air from hitting my face. I woke up with a terrible headache and sore throat from the cold air being blown directly at me all night.
Simply put, it was a miserable night of sleep. I'll definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dorafig82
Thank you for your review. We refurbished the historic building into the hotel and we have several different room sizes to choose from, I agree that some of the corner rooms are tight and am sorry that you found it difficult to manuver around the room. We will have the HVAC complaint addressed by the end of January to resolve the complaint of cold air drafts.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed 2 nights while exploring Philadelphia. The location is great and close to everything without beeing smack in the middle of town. Very typical chain hotel. Checkin and checkout was efficient, the staff was polite. The rooms were average size and with 2 queen beds we were pretty comfortable as 2 adults - 16 yo - 8 yo. Would stay again and recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again.
Reviewed December 25, 2012

What a great hotel! I got a great rate at the last minute on priceline for this hotel. I had mediocre expectations due to some lackluster reviews on this and other sites. However, when we arrived I was pretty blown away by the service, cleanliness, and overall pleasant experience we had here. Things I was thankful for: free water bottle in room, free coffee in the morning (both in room and downstairs in lobby area), immaculate cleanliness of bathroom (especially noticeable with all white tile & grout), very comfortable bed (woke up refreshed and energized which rarely happens when I am sleeping away from home), fridge was provided by request and in the morning after we checked out they were nice enough to let us use the restaurant fridge to hold our leftovers (from Han Dynasty) while we visited museums, and lastly the extremely friendly service from the great staff! As I mentioned, we got a good rate but I would hands down return to the hotel for twice what I paid and still feel that I got a great deal! The only downside is the surrounding area but a 6 block (10 minute) walk in either direction take you to great spots. A+++

Room Tip: We stayed in room 502.