“Excellent Tequila Selection”
Review of Distrito

Distrito
Reserve with OpenTable
Distrito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #162 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: University City
Cross street: 40th
Transit: By train the Market-Frankfort Line stops at 40th & Market. By Bus, the 21 line runs down Chestnut street & stops at 40th Street. The 30 line runs up Market to 40th Street.
Description: Distrito is a vibrant celebration of the culture and cuisine of Mexico City with a menu focused on the diverse street foods served in what is known by locals as the Distrito Federal (D.F.). Distrito Tacqueria is our first-floor casual eatery featuring an approachable menu by Chef Jose Garces. Distrito offers a full bar featuring signature margaritas, over 250 tequilas and beer towers festooned with sugar skulls holding over 128 ounces of beer. The second-level dining room is a lively backdrop for Chef Garces’ modern Mexican small plates. Styled in pinks and greens, the restaurant features more than 600 hanging masks of Mexico’s Lucha Libre - and a four seat booth fashioned from an authentic VW Beetle, the official taxi cab of the D.F. Private Parties: Distrito welcomes groups of all sizes. Events can be booked throughout the restaurant and in our private dining rooms seven days a week.
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I had a great experience at the Distrito bar. There are rows upon rows of tequila from cheap shooters to $100 vintage. The bartender was very helpful pointing me in the direction in the flavor I was after. I settled on a flight of tequila with their sangrita (which was delicious) and was very pleased. Highly recommended!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We love Mexican flavors and enjoy all levels of Mexican cuisine. Distrito's food ranges from medicore to good, nothing we have ever had was great! The place is interestingly decorated, tinging on a bit too odd. The service is poor at best. Generally overprice on all items including mediocre drinks. Unless you find your self in the hood, choose Lolita for a much better South of the Boarder experience. Oh and it is also very loud most of the time!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I've been to Distrito many times. It's great! They have great guacamole and even better margaritas. The plantains are to die for, as well as their ceviche.

Garces is by far my favorite chef so I'm a bit partial to his restaurants. It's a really nice place, but not his best. It's a bit over priced for south american food that you can get at other places, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's really great food, but I suggest some of his other restaurants for a really nice night out.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was treated to this place as a going away dinner by a friend. I´d have to say that the food is very good: I liked the guacamole which was very tasty and as a main course I ordered the Chilango Chop salad which I also liked very much: it had just the right amount of dressing and it is vegetarian, which is a good option for me. My friend ordered some type of steak, which he said was very good. We also ordered drinks; I cannot recall the name, but it had tequila and some tropical flavors, and for me it was OK. I am not a big fan of tequila cocktails, but I do like Margaritas. So, maybe it was the combination of this particular one. Regarding service; Not very good. Our waiter was Kevin, and he seemed annoyed when we got there, we did get there a little late but again, this was a going away dinner :( and I feel as though he was not sensitive of that. He replied in a rude manner more than once. Overall the food is good, the place is beautiful and the company was great, so basically the one thing that made it a sour experience was the waiter.

P.S.I would recommend it to my friends and I would even give this place another chance. Just pay attention to time and make sure you don't get served by somebody that is in a rush to walk out.

1  Thank Viajantesinrumbo0488
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was my 2nd time here. It's one of the better places to eat in West Philly. The only problem is that it's not a place to go if you want to get your eat on. A lot of money for a little bit of food. Small plates/Tapas but they're overpriced. The atmosphere is energetic. Drinks are good. Overall, a very good hang for what it's supposed to be.. a place to chat and chew. However, I would still go elsewhere for a full meal.