“Good food, but pricey”
Review of Distrito

Distrito
Reserve with OpenTable
Distrito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #271 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: University City
Cross street: 40th
Transit: By train the Market-Frankfort Line stops at 40th & Market. By Bus, the 21 line runs down Chestnut street & stops at 40th Street. The 30 line runs up Market to 40th Street.
Description: Distrito is a cool celebration of the culture and cuisine of Mexico City, with a menu focused on the cuisine of what is known by locals as the "Distrito Federal.” With a premium tequila bar and lounge seating, (Distrito) is an exciting backdrop for Chef Garces' modern Mexican small plates. House Specialties Carnitas Tacos, Queso Fundido, District Chicken, Los Hongos Huarache. A selection of over 70 tequilas, highlighted by Patron Bordeos, Cuervo Reserve, De familia, Don Julio Reposado, and Sauza Hornitos and fresh fruit margaritas. Cantina Happy Hour, M-F 5-7PM Private Parties: Distrito welcomes groups of all sizes. Events can be booked throughout the restaurant and in our private dining rooms seven days a week.
“Good food, but pricey”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I've been to Distrito many times. It's great! They have great guacamole and even better margaritas. The plantains are to die for, as well as their ceviche.

Garces is by far my favorite chef so I'm a bit partial to his restaurants. It's a really nice place, but not his best. It's a bit over priced for south american food that you can get at other places, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's really great food, but I suggest some of his other restaurants for a really nice night out.

• Visited April 2014

“Good food, not great service!”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I was treated to this place as a going away dinner by a friend. I´d have to say that the food is very good: I liked the guacamole which was very tasty and as a main course I ordered the Chilango Chop salad which I also liked very much: it had just the right amount of dressing and it is vegetarian, which is a good option for me. My friend ordered some type of steak, which he said was very good. We also ordered drinks; I cannot recall the name, but it had tequila and some tropical flavors, and for me it was OK. I am not a big fan of tequila cocktails, but I do like Margaritas. So, maybe it was the combination of this particular one. Regarding service; Not very good. Our waiter was Kevin, and he seemed annoyed when we got there, we did get there a little late but again, this was a going away dinner :( and I feel as though he was not sensitive of that. He replied in a rude manner more than once. Overall the food is good, the place is beautiful and the company was great, so basically the one thing that made it a sour experience was the waiter.

P.S.I would recommend it to my friends and I would even give this place another chance. Just pay attention to time and make sure you don't get served by somebody that is in a rush to walk out.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Viajantesinrumbo0488
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Tasty, Small Plates.. a Good Place to Chat & Chew”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was my 2nd time here. It's one of the better places to eat in West Philly. The only problem is that it's not a place to go if you want to get your eat on. A lot of money for a little bit of food. Small plates/Tapas but they're overpriced. The atmosphere is energetic. Drinks are good. Overall, a very good hang for what it's supposed to be.. a place to chat and chew. However, I would still go elsewhere for a full meal.

• Visited July 2014
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Really cool vibe with really good food. Unfortunately, they messed up our order and the service was very slow to boot! I've been there and had great meals but this time, it missed the mark.

Visited July 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good West Philly option”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a solid option if you're looking for a place to eat in West Philly / University City. The atmosphere is fun and the service is very good even when it's busy. The server was also incredibly knowledgeable about the menu and was very accommodating of a member of our party not eating dairy.

The actual food items are a bit hit or miss. The jicama salad and entomatado de pollo were both delicious; however, we did not enjoy the tortilla soup or chicken enchilada at all. Our friends said the shrimp ceviche was fantastic. All in all, if you order the right items, you can have a fantastic meal.

• Visited July 2014