“whimsical decor and seriously good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Distrito

Distrito
Reserve with OpenTable
Distrito is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #253 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: University City
Cross street: 40th
Transit: By train the Market-Frankfort Line stops at 40th & Market. By Bus, the 21 line runs down Chestnut street & stops at 40th Street. The 30 line runs up Market to 40th Street.
Description: Distrito is a cool celebration of the culture and cuisine of Mexico City, with a menu focused on the cuisine of what is known by locals as the "Distrito Federal.” With a premium tequila bar and lounge seating, (Distrito) is an exciting backdrop for Chef Garces' modern Mexican small plates. House Specialties Carnitas Tacos, Queso Fundido, District Chicken, Los Hongos Huarache. A selection of over 70 tequilas, highlighted by Patron Bordeos, Cuervo Reserve, De familia, Don Julio Reposado, and Sauza Hornitos and fresh fruit margaritas. Cantina Happy Hour, M-F 5-7PM Private Parties: Distrito welcomes groups of all sizes. Events can be booked throughout the restaurant and in our private dining rooms seven days a week.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“whimsical decor and seriously good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I met three business colleagues for lunch here, and was impressed by the pairing of great food and fun atmosphere. The lunch menu is small, but the lunch special, with an appetizer and a tasting portion-sized entree was a good way to sample the restaurant's offerings. I had the tortilla soup, wich had great depth of flavor, smoky, tomato-y, with the cumin and chiles adding spice and heat without burning. The ceviche was fresh and delicious. One of my colleagues had the corn soup which looked velvety and wonderful. Three of us had the mahi mahi fish tacos, which were two small fingers of plantain-crusted fish in two, 2.5" flour tortillas, with some pickled onion, lettuce, and a slice of avocado. Quite good, but gone quickly - the portion seemed small. One person had the fundido, which was melted cheese covering shredded duck, accompanied with flour tortillas. It looked good, but seemed heavy for lunch. BTW, the tortilla chips and salsa we were given while waiting for our food to arrive were fresh and tasty.I had the Kahlua cheesecake, which was quite good. The only thing I did not like was the house-made diet soda. The cola had too much orange or sweetener - a few sips was enough for me. Overall, I'd recommend Distrito, and plan to come back - next time, for dinner.

• Visited August 2013

Maryland
“Fantastic - As Usual!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We love Distrito. We live in Maryland and make an effort to stop by when we are in Philadelphia.
The food is absolutely delicious. The portions are served tapas style and tend to be small (but some items are quite a generous size). When they arrive you think "this isn't much food", but it is filling and very very tasty. I would highly recommend the shrimp ceviche. short rib flat bread (one of my favorites), and any of the tacos. The Queso Fundido is to die for. The ingredients are high quality and wonderfully prepared with a symphony of flavors that are unique to Jose Garces restaurants. Cocktails are well made and delicious. We would not hesitate to recommend Distrito to my friends and family. We will be back!

• Visited July 2013
Boise
“Distrito! YUM.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went with 4 adults and 4 kids, it happened to be Dining Dollar days. I called in the morning and asked if they would accommodate the kids and allow them to order off of the ala carte menu. The gentleman on the phone was very polite and engaging and said that would be fine. I made a reservation for 6 pm, we arrived and our table was ready.
The restaurant is decorated in a very fun hip way. The bathrooms upstairs have a communal sink that was really cool and well done.
We ordered just about 1 of everything on the Menu and were able to share with everyone at the table. It was all incredible. We thought we would get smaller portions of the meals, more of a sample size, but the portions were quite large. In fact, the waiter was surprised that the kitchen had decided to give entree size portions on the Salmon A LA Plancha and the Pollo Entomatado. There was a LOT of food. Everything was delicious. Additionally, the food presentation was fabulous.
Our waiter started off strong, but as the place got busier he took longer to come back between courses and we waited a long time for the check and for him to return with our credit cards.
If I find myself in Philly I would try to eat here.
The restaurant is very large. It was full when we were leaving, but it was not too loud and you could easily walk out or to the restrooms. I highly recommend eating here.

• Visited July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fun crowd, Amazing Layoug and Ridiculously good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

If I had my choice I'd eat here every evening!

The Nachos are incredible, Margs are strong and the service is top notch!

Do me a favor, gather your 3 best friends, order everything on the menu and have the meal you deserve!

• Visited June 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
“Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Went with a friend while visiting Philadelphia for Sunday Brunch. At noon, it wasn't very busy and the sever was friendly. The food was tasty but greasy. I would not recommend eating like that everyday! The nachos were buttery and cheesy. We both had fish tacos which came on small corn tortillas, just enough for lunch. I felt stuffed after sharing the nachos and eating my own tacos. I was happy to see Micheladas as one of the drink choices, but decided against it for Sunday lunch. If I go back, I'd love to see if they are authentic. The price seemed reasonable. A two course brunch is about 20 USD. The location is close to my family in University City Philadelphia, which for some people is out of the way. If you are staying downtown, may be not worth the travel. Not bad at all.

Visited July 2013