“Unique fun” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 433 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum, located at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, is one of the finest medical history museums in America. The Mütter is a 19th century style cabinet museum displaying medical artifacts such as anatomical specimens and medical instruments. Marvel at the beauty and strangeness of the human body. The Mütter is home to many notorious exhibits including Harry Eastlack's skeleton, the Megacolon, the Soap Lady, and the Hyrtl Skull Collection. It's also the only place to have pieces of Einstein's brain on display. Admission to the museum also includes admission to the Thomson Art Gallery, featuring medical-themed art, and the Benjamin Rush Medicinal Plant Garden. A visit to the Mütter is unforgettable...prepare yourself to be disturbingly informed.
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unique fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

For something different and interesting, you need to go to the Mütter Museum. All the medical oddities and equipment were great to see. I wanted to come for a long time and it was well worth it.

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
New York City, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Different in the Best Way Possible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Visited the Mutter Museum after hearing about it on Trip Advisor. What a treat! Beyond the major museums and historical sites, this museum offers something I have yet to experience in any other city (I imagine it may be like the Bodies exhibit, but I have never seen one). It is a bit creepy looking at all of the body parts (including some deformed body parts) but its fascinating in one of those 'just-can't-look-away' sorts of ways. As its a bit more off of the beaten path, it was not really crowded when I was there so I never felt rushed while looking at the hundreds of things on display. I'm a little squeamish but had no trouble looking at everything in the museum though I can imagine it may be a bit much for others. Still its a fascinating and different place that I highly recommend for those who have 2 hours in Philly.

Visited March 2013
Potomac, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“My favorite part of Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

If there was one place I can choose to see when going to Philly, it'd be the mutter museum. This place has cool deformities and instruments that open your eyes to what could happen to any one of us. The kids will love this place, givens that they are not scared. This place takes about 45 minutes to an hour to see it to its full potential. There was no one there when we went, but I heard the line will get very long during the summer.

Visited January 2014
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Creepy Cool Fun. Not for the squeamish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

It was so awesome to see all of the medical oddities up close. One thing that I was a little disappointed about was how small the museum was. For some reason I always pictured it larger. It was still really educational and interesting. We've come a long way in how we study the human body!

It takes about an hour to go through. When my husband and I went it was the middle of the day and crowded. It was hard to read all of the plaques next to the displays at times due to the crowd and the way the museum is set up. If I would suggest anything it would be to perhaps go early in the day so maybe it will not be as crowded.

There are things in the museum that will be hard to look at if you are squeamish. Lots of fetuses and various body parts. If this sort of thing freaks you out then don't go. I do not get grossed out too easily but there were times that I even had to take a step back and remind myself that this was for the progression of science and medicine.

Visited August 2013
1,102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 498 helpful votes
“Not for those with a weak stomach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Having seen a few brochures and heard a few people commenting on this museum, I decided to seek it out on my way to the Barnes Foundation. First it had a lobby to wait in before the museum itself opened and as it was freezing out, it made for a nice reprieve. The museum opened EXACTLY on time and it had an impressive collection. I treating enjoyed the Grimm Fairy Tale display and the Civil War medicine exhibit was impressive. On the lower level is where things can be a bit squeamish as there are juicy specimens floating in jars. Lots of information and very interesting.

Visited December 2013