“Odd collection, unique space”
Review of Mutter Museum

Ranked #27 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum, located at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, is one of the finest medical history museums in America. The Mütter is a 19th century style cabinet museum displaying medical artifacts such as anatomical specimens and medical instruments. Marvel at the beauty and strangeness of the human body. The Mütter is home to many notorious exhibits including Harry Eastlack's skeleton, the Megacolon, the Soap Lady, and the Hyrtl Skull Collection. It's also the only place to have pieces of Einstein's brain on display. Admission to the museum also includes admission to the Thomson Art Gallery, featuring medical-themed art, and the Benjamin Rush Medicinal Plant Garden. A visit to the Mütter is unforgettable...prepare yourself to be disturbingly informed.
Reviewed November 4, 2013

So, we went to the mutter 10 years ago and it was really cool. It was this out of the way, no one knows a hit it kind of thing. We got there on November 2nd and they were having the day of the dead celebration. No signs outside, no one said anything to us as we bought our overpriced tickets. Nothing. Anyway, we made our way through the hundreds of people here and finally figured out what was going on. It was so packed we could not view the exhibits properly. They should have limited the number of visitors on this particular day. They offered free food, cookie decorating and some lectures. The museum itself is very accessible by foot but finding parking close by on a nice day is tough and expensive.

If you happen to be in the neighborhood for Drexel 30th street station or even Rittenhouse square, take a walk on over to see specimens in jars and bottles and well documented medical oddities. If not, pass.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I've been wanting to visit this museum for many years after seeing it on t.v. Being an RN, I'm very interested in medical oddities. This museum is small, but has many things crammed in. Some of the ID cards for the displays are difficult to read due to poor lighting and the glass it is encased in. Plan on spending approx 2 hours going through the exhibit. Also, if you're a student, don't forget your ID so that you can get a discount. If you're into weird medical science, this is the place for you. Definitely not for the squeamish!

1  Thank traveltrixie
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This had been on my bucket list for quite some time. A little smaller than I thought it would be and quite a few items were "recreations" not actual artifacts. I am not sorry that I went as there were fascinating things to see but it was a wee let-down compared to what I thought it would be.

1  Thank AZMichele
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I've been to Philly many times to visit family and seen many attractions so we decided to try something new. For one its smaller than you think it would be. For two....it's seriously creepy. I'm a very open-minded person and I tried to stick it out but there was a creepiness that I can't describe. Our whole group was in agreement.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

A very interesting museum with many specimens on display - the only downside is that photography is not permitted.