“Not for the faint of heart.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mutter Museum

Ranked #28 of 435 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum, located at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, is one of the finest medical history museums in America. The Mütter is a 19th century style cabinet museum displaying medical artifacts such as anatomical specimens and medical instruments. Marvel at the beauty and strangeness of the human body. The Mütter is home to many notorious exhibits including Harry Eastlack's skeleton, the Megacolon, the Soap Lady, and the Hyrtl Skull Collection. It's also the only place to have pieces of Einstein's brain on display. Admission to the museum also includes admission to the Thomson Art Gallery, featuring medical-themed art, and the Benjamin Rush Medicinal Plant Garden. A visit to the Mütter is unforgettable...prepare yourself to be disturbingly informed.
Rosemead, CA
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Not for the faint of heart.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

Very unusual items on display in jars. It's good, if you like that sort of thing.

Visited October 2011

• Polish first
Rochester, NY
197 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 291 helpful votes
“Literally Awesome-”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

This was my second trip to the Mutter museum but certainly won't be my last. I have never seen anything like it. In addition to cataloging medical oddities, it also chronicles how health and medicine have not only been affected BY history but how they have affected history itself. For example, they had the skeleton of a woman who regularly wore a corset-her ribcage was in the shape of a pinecone, forcing her lungs further up into her chest and her intestines into her pelvis. No wonder these women suffered from "vapors" and couldn't really do much but sit there!
There was a great Civil War "preview" exhibit-skulls and femurs of those who were injured or killed gave visual evidence and a visceral reaction to the absurdities of war. I learned about the time of Lincoln's assassination literally through the arm of the man who tried to wrestle John Wilkes Booth to the ground after he shot Lincoln (the dissection in his muscles still visible where he was stabbed). I saw the vertebrae that was damaged when John Wilkes Booth tried to kill, and then only paralyzed, himself. Also the skin and history of President Garfield who lived for 80 days after his assassination attempt, most likely dying because of the blundering of his physicians (feeding him rectally?). How would the history of this country have changed had these things happened differently? There will be formal bigger exhibit to coincide with the anniversary of both the Mutter museum and the battle of Gettysburg in 2013. I will definitely make another visit at that time.
Even though I am a physician myself, I think this museum has something for everyone (except young children, of course). True, the museum is small but I easily could have spent the day there, reading all the info about each of the exhibits and watching the videos they were also showing. Great little gift shop. I was disappointed that my beloved BPAL fragrances were out of stock. Oh well, guess I'll just HAVE to come back!

Visited September 2011
Reading, Pennsylvania
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Extremely Interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

The Mutter Museum is unlike any other museum I have visited. My husband and I have been to Philadelphia numerous times and each time we try to see something we have no already experienced. On our August trip, we decided to visit the Mutter Museum. The museum is extremely interesting. One can easily spend hours reading the cast studies that accompany the human bones and body parts in the Mutter collection. I would not suggest this museum for the squeamish, because the body parts are proudly on display - the most interesting are the diseased and deformed. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary, I would highly suggest a visit to this museum.

Visited August 2011
Meridian, Idaho
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Interesting and Little Museum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was an interesting and unique medically based museum with several oddities. However it is definitely seems to be a one time only visit. However, everyone in my family said it was a unique and interesting one time visit museum. Price of admission is a little high for what it is at around $14-15 pp.

Visited September 2011
Chicago, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I wish it was bigger...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

I tend to love weird medical things. Of course, I love the Mutter. My boyfriend wasn't as interested. There are no food or drinks allowed here. This is not a museum for children or the easily grossed out. I didn't care for the art exhibit. It is an excellent collection of medical oddities. When I was there, they had a great traveling exhibit on the medicine of the Civil War. I just wish the museum portion was bigger, as it was difficult to get to on the bus.

Visited June 2011