“Would love to go back to see the inside of this”
Review of Masonic Temple

Masonic Temple
Ranked #18 of 463 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: "The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania" is an example of elegant architecture. Inside, the lodge is adorned with lovely artwork.
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Even though I only got to see the outside of the temple and the lobby, I would love to go back to Philly if for nothing else but to go inside this. It is beautiful. We went to Philly for the Winter Classic and the Alumni games and because of the timing of the events, we were unable to make it here during their hours of operation. We went during the day and again ran back by at night (which I totally recommend because the light on the columns in the entryway are amazing!!!).

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Really a unique place. Across the street from City Hall, often overlooked, but outside alone is worth the visit. Not a Mason myself but you cant pass this one.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

The building the Gothic artwork near by the City Hall.
Does not seem to be open for tours.

Reviewed October 28, 2011

My husband and I weren't sure we wanted to take a tour of the inside, but since we had the time we did. And boy, am I glad! The outside is impressive in itself, but you have no idea what awaits you on the inside! The tour consisted of being led from room to room by a man that simply pressed a brief recorded message talking about the room details as he pointed them out with a laser pointer. Each room was nearly more ornate than the last. Everything was elaborate and highly decorated! The guide took questions, but the whole tour felt a bit rushed. He answered our questions, but not in much detail. I got the feeling it was discouraged to ask much about the Masons themselves which only made me more curious about an organization known to be "secretive". The tour was clearly ONLY about the building, but that in itself was worth the cost of admission.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

I visited this with my kids - 12, 9 and 5. I was a little worried that they would get bored and start acting crazy, but the tour even kept their attention. It lasted about 45 minutes and took you to many different ceremonial rooms in the temple. Each one is decorated in a different style (the Egyptian one was our hands down favorite!) and you get to learn a little of the history of each one. I wish that I would have researched more of the history of the Free Masons prior to the tour so that I would have had a better idea of what questions to ask our guide. I wouldn't say that the tour itself was packed with information, but if people asked a lot of questions the guide was more than willing to answer. Be sure to make time for the museum at the end of the tour. There is a collection of printing plates used by George Washington, along with part of his Mason apron. There are also artifacts from Benjamin Franklin too. Over all a great tour and well worth the family rate price.

2  Thank amymlong