“never ever again”

Days Inn Philadelphia Convention Center
Ranked #72 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 31, 2010

luckliy we had booked only 1 night. First we were given a room with no window, actually there was one but on the internal corridor. The carpet was filthy, room noisy because of construction outside (not their fault), the AC broke in the middle of the night, the chair upholstery was VERY old, central location but near a homeless shelter. Noting positive about this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank miffina

Reviewed July 19, 2010

This Travelodge right next to the Convention Center - which is under construction. It also lacked a few things you would hope they'd provide for a price that high. If you enjoy getting woken up to the melodious sounds of construction, don't need a small fridge, don't mind staying on a slightly dangerous block at night, enjoy gray walls with new good views of Philly, hard rock beds and over-washed rock pillows, and stoned/drunk boys yelling at 4am down the hallway - do stay here.

Oh and bring your own conditioner, I only got a complimentary shampoo.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We came to Philadelphia to help a family member. We decided it was best to stay in a hotel instead of at the family member's house because of various reasons. To start check in was pretty rocky. The hotel did not seem to be worth the price they were charging per night. I was told at check that there is no parking. You have to park in any nearby lot which range from 10 dollars to 30 dollars depending on what time you park and if you need to leave the lot and return. The neighborhood is not that great but I think if are looking to be near the Convention Center it is great. I did not need to be near the convention ctr. I did not know that there was a homeless shelter nearby because lots of homeless people were strolling near the hotel. The air conditioning in the room did not work so we had to be moved. Once moved the A/C in that room did not work efficently. After many calls to the front desk I was finally told how to set the A/C for maximum benefit. THe room did finally cool down but it took a while. The staff was pretty courteous and the hotel smelled really nice. I could have stayed in a hotel with more stars and had on site parking/versus this low budget high priced plus extra for parking hotel. ALso there is a lot of construction going on in this area right now.( cant hold that against the hotel). KIDS THERE IS NO POOL. But I would not stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2010

i booked this hotel coming from boston to attend the burins flyers playoff game. i was not looking for anything too special or expensive because i was staying one night and didnt spend much time in the hotel anyways. when i got there i saw it was right next door to a homeless shelter i feel like i should have been notified about this. after i checked in, went up to my room and realized there were NO windows in my room. not happy at all about the price i paid and the service i got. i will never again stay at this hotel!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 20, 2009

Do not stay here. Although location is convenient to all sights, you do feel rather threatened at night by the area. Adjoining the homeless mens hostel which is rather worrying. Also we had prebooked and paid through Octopus Travel and the Travelodge has charged us again, although we asked several times if they had put anything on our card and they said no. Still awaiting a refund from them. Day we were leaving, while I was waiting in reception for my husband, two receptions were being very rude about a lady who had just checked out. Better places to stay and worth paying a few pounds more. I was glad we had only booked in for 2 nights and was pleased to be moving on.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My room: ten feet from the front desk (on the same faux marble floor as the lobby), six inches from the stairwell, four feet from the elevator, three stairs up and four steps from the front door, and about seven feet above the sidewalk. In other words, as loud as a room could possibly be. When I went back to the front desk to get another I was shown the only other nonsmoking rooms they had, which were five feet across from the front desk, again on the same faux marble floor. From in there I can only imagine you could hear the desk clerk breathing. And, of course, every single footstep from every single person coming or going.

In the end, I went with a smoking room on the third floor, two floors directly above the first room I was given. I was still stuck next to the road, the elevator, and the stairwell, but at least I wasn't right on the lobby. Not surprisingly, people coming and going still kept me awake all night long, despite ear plugs (and a pillow over my head).

In the morning, trying to recover from that horrible night's sleep, I was treated to a shower of knocking pipes. Cold water worked fine. Hot not so much.

There must be rooms in the place that aren't so totally uninhabitable, but I didn't see them. The four I was offered were each worse than any other hotel room I've ever seen. And I'm not accustomed to luxury.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank smittylabeef
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We were running a bit over budget on our vacation so we dropped down market for our last night before flying home. Probably a bit more than we should have done. There are actually many positives to this hotel - friendly and helpful staff and a passion for cleanliness. The carpets were being shampooed when we arrive and the smell of bleach was clear in bathrooms and restrooms. While this is clearly a hotel that is lacking investment, to the point of shabbiness, the local team obviously take pride in their work and want to do their best with what they have got. So we come to the negatives. Other reviewers have commented on the location - the Convention Center is a massive barrier to feeling part of Center City and the hotel is at the end of a long tunnel through the Center that does not always feel very safe. It is next to a homeless shelter, although this seems to be well run and we certainly did not experience any hassle from the neighbours at any time. The rooms are small but manageable for the odd night - I wouldn't stay here for any longer. The bedding and towels were clean but threadbare. The towels did not absorb any moisture and the bedding - well I have seen thicker fabric on showgirls in Las Vegas. The complimentary breakfast had reasonable coffee but is otherwise best passed over - Reading Market is less than five minutes walk and a much better option! This hotel is in the wrong location ever to command a premium price, even in the budget sector, but the staff team do deserve better support from the owners in terms of investment.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple