“For $79, why complain?”

Ranked #70 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Saratoga Springs, New York
“For $79, why complain?”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I think some people who write negative reviews of motels like this haven't traveled much, especially to big, Northeastern cities, where any hotel with amenities is easily $200/night. I got this hotel for $79/night through Expedia and was pleasantly surprised. The room was fairly basic, but I was a male alone on business travel so did not need much. The room was clean, and I don't mind street noise, as I've lived in urban areas in the past. The street noise is common for any hotel in a major, clustered city. I do sometimes stay at the $200 hotels and hear the same homeless serenades you'd hear in a budget hotel. Breakfast was basic cereal and bagels, but I wasn't expecting more, anyway. The location is excellent. If you want that big hotel feeling, there is a Sheraton Four Points a half a block away where I got dinner and drinks and got to meet other travelers. Chinatown is a block away, too, if you want a low-cost dinner. This is in the heart of the city, walking distance to practically everything. My conference was at the beautiful Doubletree Hotel, about .6 miles away; and easy walk.

1 Thank TheyKnew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was looking for moderate priced hotel walking distance to convention center and this fit the bill. i found it to be clean, nice staff. my only complaint is about the thin tissues and toilet paper. i didn't arrive until late evening and there was no problem with that. But as others have said, there is a street people hospice next door so be aware. considering the hampton inn is just across the street for over twice the price, this is a steal. and the wireless worked well too.

Room Tip: rooms facing race street are noisy. ask for room 2-4 floor.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Just run. Stay anywhere else--the Mariott on Market, Loews, the Bellevue, the Double Tree. It'll cost more, but it'll be worth your sanity.

Two colleagues and I had to stay here forr three nights because it was what out employer would pay for. The staff was very nice, but even the most wonderful, accommodating people could not ameliorate the situation. People stay here because it's very cheap--you probably can't stay anywhere else in Philly for under $70. It is next door to a homeless men's shelter (and yes, they will say things to you and approach you), but it is across from a police station. We are from NY and are used to urban areas. However, we don't like to slum it, which is what we had to do at the Travelodge.

Our rooms were tiny--no big deal, as we weren't going to be I our rooms often. But We didn't have any exterior windows. Our windows featured security glass, like the mind seen in prisons, and had lovely views of the hallway. You can hear everything through the paper thin walls--the beeping elevator buttons, the conversation in the next room, the sounds from the room above. My remote control's back panel was missing, so I had to use it upside down. My blanket had holes in it, and whenever I turned on the shower, the wall/pipes rattled loudly. The continental breakfast consisted of cold cereal, bagels, muffins, and hot beverages. Every day we stopped down for coffee, I noticed one yogurt (and only one yogurt) out for the taking. Odd.

The low cost attracts normal, unsuspecting travelers but it attracts some class-less people, too. I was awoken at 4:04 am when I heard a guy pounding violently on his buddy's door, screaming that he was in dire need of a cheeseburger. It seems that many of the guests at the Travelodge enjoy standing in the hallway and yelling conversations to their friends at odd times of the day.

On the last night I was there, I awoke with three bug bites I did not have when I went to sleep...

I appreciate that this hotel fulfills a need for the budget traveler, but my advice is to avoid this place at all costs.

Do you like getting more than five hours' sleep? Don't stay at the Travelodge.
Do you like catcalls from the homeless? Don't stay at the Travelodge.
Do you like getting a bargain, and then realizing that you've actually been duped into overpaying for the most horrible, uncomfortable stay you've ever had? Don't stay at the Travelodge!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, make sure to request a room with an exterior window.
Midwest
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Like a really bad dorm room from summer sports camp. Gross bedspreads, teensy rooms, commercial interior window with metal wire ( why does a window in an interior lobby need WIRE?)

• Stayed March 2012
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I read a lot of reviews for this hotel and see lots of bad ones. But, you really do get what you pay for.

I stayed for two nights, didnt even know there was a homeless shelter next door because no one bothered me. The location was very convient and a one or two block walk to the parking and/or convient store is cake, its not a 10 block hike. The service was friendly and courteous, but had an aire of efficiency, which didnt really bother me, as I don't need to be waited on hand and foot.

The room was small, but sufficient. The windows facing the hallway DID kinda freak me out, but I got over it after a bit. I did wish the sink was IN the bathroom, but hey at least it had a sink. And there was a small coffe make and tea with a courtesy breakfast in the morning, nice. the room WAS clean and I DID NOT see any bed bugs, nor did I have any bites during my stay. I didn't have any problems with my shower or anything. And the walls were pretty thin, but it was quiet. For the hotel hat it was and the price I paid I wasnt expecting my bed to be a TemperPedic with goose down blankets and silk sheets...but it was a little stiff. I slept fine at any rate. The room got a little chilly but a few notches on the thermo fixed that. They sure took their sweet time about giving my deposit back, I will say that.

Over all though, its a great place for the price you pay. And the location? can't beat it for that price.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Avondale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 8, 2012

If you plan to spend most of your time out of your room, this place is great. Walking distance to many sites, yet really inexpensive for a center city location. If you want amenities and extras, this is not the place for you, but if you just want a place to sleep and be relatively near a lot of the attractions for a affordable stay, I would recommend this Travelodge. The breakfast was basic oatmeal, cereal, bagels, which is all we eat for breakfast anyway, so it was fine. Might not have the cleanest bedspreads or carpets, but for the low price, it was definitely tolerable. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I never even stayed at this hotel. Full disclosure. At the time I booked this hotel online, there was a price break for prepaying and no refund for cancellation. OK I do have extenuating circumstances. I had hoped at least to speak to the owner to explain my situation and perhaps mitigate the charge as I am planning to come to Philly at a later date this year. The front desk staff was very helpful but the owner was the only one who could override the charge. I called several times (4) times over the course of a week. Left a message each time. No response. I will not be booking this hotel when I come back to Philadelphia.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business