“Who knew...?!”

Memphis Taproom
Ranked #201 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Central New Jersey
“Who knew...?!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

So, it's like this: I'm trying to go vegan. There, I said it. The "V" word. Or, in this case, the "other" V-word, I suppose. So imagine my surprise (and excitement) when I Googled "Vegan Restaurants in Philly" and a place called, "Memphis Tap Room" was on the list.
(CUE THE HARP MUSIC- start the wavy flashback dissolve): There I was. Uber-Dad that I am...Cheerfully helping my Bassoon-playing, Temple University-going, carnivore-of-a-son move home for his winter break. An herbal guy works up quite an appetite lifting bales, toting barges and climbing two flights of stairs of a pre-war tenement walk-up thirty or so times (on the plus side, I have since donated my "BUNS OF STEEL" DVD to the local Senior Citizen Rec Center) . So where was I? Oh, yes. Working up an appetite. That, and stuffing a semester's worth of dirty laundry into gigantic steel reinforced garbage bags.
We decided to grab some lunch before hitting the old Jersey Pike and the Memphis Tap House was geographically desirable and seemed to cater to meat-eaters and Vedge-heads alike from what I could tell from their website.
We found a parking spot right outside the Taproom's door. Upon entering, we were greeted by a long bar stocked with exotic beers both local (tap and bottled) and foreign (Dos Equis - woohoo) and a very pleasant bartendress.
We were promptly seated in the rustic themed dining room and decided to pass on the brews in favor of some hot and hearty Gastro-pub food. And what fine fare it were, tripadvisor peeps!!
I was, at first, intrigued by the vegetarian potpie but instead, opted for a triple decker vegan sandwich on wholewheat at the recommendation of our well-informed server. She did not steer me wrong! It had layers of firmly sautéed and tasty tofu with tomato and some baked coconut stuff that had the satisfying consistency and crispy crunch of b-b-b-bacon.
The musician went for a lovely looking corned beef Reuben, which had the leanest, nicest looking beuf this author and former carnivore has seen. No fat at all! It was downright er... ah...um (here it comes; brace yourself) - Reubenesque!
My son had an andouille sausage and crawfish bisque appetizer which was delish (okay, so I'm not a devout vegan - yet. What can I say? Had you seen just how gorgeous this crock of piping hot soup looked, you would have stuck your spoon in as well. Harrumph!)
I washed my meal down with a fresh brewed unsweetened herbal ice tea which was served cold and minty.
If we had dessert, I've blocked it from my memory. But I did have a cup of very tasty coffee. Black. Piping hot. Just how I like it.
We are going back. Memphis Taproom is a crowd pleaser with reasonable prices, ample portions and friendly service. Don't know when we will be back, but I'm looking forward to it. Give it a try. Tell 'me Family Guy from NJ sent ya.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice little place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stopped by here on Saturday afternoon. It's right on the corner. Parking on the street.
We sat at the bar. The bartender was very nice. Lots of good beers on tap. We chose from the brunch menu as the "lunch" service did not start until 3pm.
I had the fried pickles as an appy and they were good. They look like giant corn dogs. There was a good creamy horseradish dipping sauce. I then had the quiche. It was out of this world. Yeah I know quiche? The bacon was so smoky and wonderful. My dining partner had the chipped beef. It looked good but not as good as the quiche.
The bar is nice. It has an old time feel to it.
The dining area looked very cozy. I want to go again and have lunch or dinner. I'm sure it's awesome.

• Visited December 2012
York, ME
“A great pub with wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We were there recently with friends, late on a Friday night. It was fairly crowded, and was fairly noisy, but a very fun atmosphere, upbeat and friendly. The staff was great, and the food was both varied and delicious, with small plates, entrees, sandwiches; all original creations of the chef - no frozen and re-heated food here. And, all at very reasonable prices. The restaurant is very small, and we were told that it really was NOT busy for a Friday night, so be prepared to wait. They've got a great old bar with a superb selection of beers, both on tap and bottles. A nice courtyard with ambiance in the summertime. We highly recommend it if you're in Philly!

• Visited November 2012
Maryland
“Great little Jem.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Of course saw this place on Tripe D (Diner, Drive-in's and Dives). Said to myself we have to check this place out. So, glad we did. It's small inside and parking sucks, but all well worth it. Burgers are great and juicy. The watermelon salad is a must and also the fried pickles!!!!!!!!!! Hope you enjoy as much as we did!

• Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Better than average brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Sunday brunch at this Kensington neighborhood tap room offered some very interesting choices. The tap room is a small intimate pub style restaurant which was a nice change from many of the other brunch spots we frequent. You could chat at a normal conversational volume. I recommend arriving early to avoid what could be a substantial wait on a weekend day.

The menu had familiar breakfast menu choices with some unique twists such as the eggs Badnarik which is eggs Benedict with kielbasa in place of the ham or Canadian bacon. A catfish poboy sandwich was a hit with one of our party as was the red rooster and the Philthy rooster. Overall the food was good the service was very good and the atmosphere perfect for a Sunday morning brunch. We 'll certainly be back to the tap room!