“Dinner was so good, we went back for breakfast”
Review of Parc Brasserie

Parc Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
Parc Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Corner of 18th and Locust Street
Reviewed November 16, 2012

These days, the terms "cafe" and "bistro" are applied to so many restaurants that they don't mean anything. Parc, however, is the real thing: the kind of hearty French fare I recall from real cafes and bistros in Normandy and Paris. (Think steak frites and cassoulet rather than tiny nouvelle cuisine tidbits that look as if they'd be more at home decorating a royal wedding hat than sitting on a plate.)

The closest comparison--for those who've been to Vegas--is Mon Ami Gabi in the Paris casino complex, which I do like, but Parc's decor feels much more solid and authentic, the food is superior, and the prices are more reasonable. My steak was tender, flavorful, and generous without being dauntingly huge. The fries were exactly like the ones served all over France--crisp, shoestrings mounded up alongside the steak and served with house-made mayonnaise. Bonus points: the menus and blackboards used correct French spelling and grammar.

The breakfast was perhaps even better than dinner: genuine cafe au lait, savory quiche, and a baby green salad. The crust that surrounded the quiche was good enough to stand alone as a pastry. One small but notable plus for all of the dishes was that they were perfectly seasoned. I never touched a condiment at either meal. In addition, in the daylight you can see the park across the street, where we watched dressed-up ladies walking their tiny dogs and preschool teachers pushing 6-tot "stretch-limo" prams down the walkways. Very entertaining.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,983)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Parc is a great place for a dinner. Across from Ritenhouse Square its easy to find and has the Best steak I've ever had. Sitting out side in the Fall on a cool night is no problem. They have heaters that blow down onto you to keep you warm while you enjoy yourself. We had French Onion soup one night outside and that was all. It was nice to watch the park and the people go by. Inside is warm and cozy too. Make reservations if your going in for dinner. It will help. Enjoy.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

It's a mini trip to Paris - in the heart of Philadelphia! No details have been spared in authentic bistro! Great place for a casual brunch - or dinner. Cheese and Charcuterie platters not to be missed. yum!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Tried to get a reservation but ending up sitting at the bar. Still a great experience. Lovely bartender who provided great service and food recommendations. We started with the chartcuterie and cheese plate. Lovely pate. We followed this with their cassoluet, steak trite and a wild halibut. Great choice of beers and wines. Dessert was excellent. Overall a great night out with plenty of athmosphere and good food.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I dined solo, and still was advised to make a reservation, even though I normally eat at the bar. I was allowed to select a place at the bar, but was promptly asked to move numerous times by large parties of people who wanted to have a pre-dinner drink. The crowd at the bar was a bit boisterous and unruly, and a touch inconsiderate to someone who actually wanted to eat dinner beneath their shoving elbows, but this is not the restaurant's fault. Just be warned if you plan to eat at the bar!

I started with the Tuna Carpaccio, which was honestly the best I ever had. It was suffused with a brilliant leek vinaigrette. The leeks made all the difference and I am craving it again!

For an entree I selected the Roasted Sea Scallops with porcini risotto and brussles sprouts. Everything about this dish was amazing. I especially loved the tender mushrooms. The scallops were cooked perfectly, four of them perfectly golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside. Sprouts were amazing as well.

I couldn't find macarons on the dessert menu but the bartender insisted they had them. After a few minutes, a rather large dish of half a dozen perfect macarons of different flavors was presented to me. Excellent!

The bartender was very helpful in choosing a good glass of wine to complement the meal, as well as a perfect dessert wine to cap it off with. They also have an espresso machine, so I finished with a single and it was a truly perfect meal.

I do have one complaint: a older gentleman who was apparently a regular customer came in and sat next to me. He struck up a conversation and while I was trying to be polite, he started talking a bit dirty and invited me over to his apartment. Not cool. That was the only black mark on the whole evening. But it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Wait staff was joking around with him so he's known. I don't know if they realize how dirty he is.