“Great stay near all the sites but the pool not so good”

Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
NY,NY
“Great stay near all the sites but the pool not so good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed for two nights during the heat wave this June. First we got a great rate through an offer on their web site--the 2nd night stay for the price of your birth year, which means we paid $230 for the first night and only paid $70 for the 2nd night! This also included club access which meant breakfast was served each morning and free drinks and snacks from approx. 5-9 each night. We met other friends staying here so we saved a ton on wine and beer that night! The only bad side was we looked forward to relaxing at the pool, but it was an indoor oven. Top floor with a solarium and no air circulation. My kids had fun but not me. Next my husband let them stay in the pool way too long. Not only was the pool dirty and about to undergo repairs but the floor of the pool was rough and the kids got tiny blisters on their toes afterwards. The hotel sent the manager up who told us it was in fact from the pool floor and staying in a long time causes the skin to become more sensitive and in our case, blister. They gave us some free drink tickets which we did not even use, but I didn't blame the hotel except for the general poor ventilation of the room and need for pool repair. Their toes were fine the next day. If I made a stink they would have done more for us, but they were so attentive to the situation it was okay. I would still recommend the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank noahb
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Noahb,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We greatly apologize for the condition our pool was in and want to ensure you that our pool has completed repairs and is excellent condition. We are happy you were able to enjoy the club lounge and all of the hearty breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres. We hope you return in the future and guarantee you another wonderful stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I had to go here for a conference so I ended up spending a lot of time in the hotel. The facilities are generally nice. It has one of the best gyms I have seen in a hotel. The location is great because it is close to the river and easy walking distance to many restaurants.

The building does not seem like much from the outside, but the courtyard/garden inside for the lobby is pleasant for sitting. The bar and restaurant are very good as well.

The rooms here were quite nice and large for a Sheraton. The bedroom was comfortable, and I was generally happy with the light in my room at the entrance, but the bathroom was another story. I am sure it was just my room, but the lamp was sort of broken and when I asked I was told that the style of bulb they use for energy efficiency just takes some time to get bright. The brightest it ever got was a very dull purple/pink glow that was barely enough for me to see my reflection. I believe this issue is contained to the one room since nobody else at my conference had the issue, but there were several instances, for which we have submitted formal complaints to the hotel, where the staff helping with our conference were rude to attendees.

Depending on what you are going for, it will probably be a fairly nice experience. Just don't expect anything grand or amazing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt M
Dear Matt M,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your most recent stay. We apologize for the misunderstanding of the issue with the light in your room and that you and some of the attendees felt less than appreciated by the staff. We will work to improve communication between departments to guarantee our guests satisfaction. Our guest’s satisfaction is one of the highest priorities we value and always work to improve their experience. We hope you can return again to notice the positive changes we make.
Huntington, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We spent a long weekend at this hotel in July and found it to be above expectation. We attended a wedding here and it was great! The area surrounding the hotel was beautiful and historic. There was a festival going on at the bridge with many vendors and music playing in the streets. Although the weather was very hot, we had a most enjoyable time in this area of Philadelphia!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Caccian,
Thank you for a glowing review. We are glad to learn that you had an enjoyable time at our hotel while attending the wedding. We hope you can return soon.
Milford, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is located down near Penns Landing and not far from South St. The lobby area is real nice and well appointed. The front desk could be a little friendlier. The rooms are decent to nice, bathrooms a little small. The beds are superbly comfortable. Again it is in a quiet area but walking distance to a lot of activity. The one thing you need to be aware of is the price to park your car overnight. It is valet only and comes to $42 with tax (sign out front says $35 but that is without tax, another ourtrageous $7). This was definitely disappointing. I found out later there was parking around the corner for $19 a day. I would seek that out next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank btanner
Dear btanner,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We apologize that our parking options were not communicated to you before your stay. We offer 24/7 security and monitoring of your car and in and out privileges. We are always happy to suggest alternative options for parking. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and the location. We will share your comments with our front office to guarantee a pleasant and helpful experience. We hope you return again soon.
Albuquerque
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We spent five nights here at the end of August. This is a lovely hotel. Our room was very well appointed. The bed was sheer heaven. Very soft. Lots of covers. Excellent in every way. The valet staff were adoreable: Eric Bernal, Charles, Shevon and Chris.

They fall short in how they treat guests at the front desk. Twice I called down for some ideas for dinner. Twice I was very curtly told "I don't know the neighborhood sir." Well, that makes for two of us. We found the desk clerks sniffy and stiffly pleasant. It wasn't just wasn't their nature to be truly pleasant.

This hotel is very centrally located, close to shops, fine and casual dining only a few steps from the hotel front door.

We felt it was a treat to stay here. If we come back to Philly, we WILL seek out this property again.

Room Tip: If you're tired from walking all over in airport on the way here, ask for a room near the elevat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Flyingbn,

We want to apologize that we were not able to fulfill your request of providing a nice restaurant in the area. We want to guarantee you that this area has an abundant of hotels, all which are great. We will work on familiarizing our staff with restaurants in the area. We will communicate your comments with our staff to ensure quality and welcoming personalities. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is great, service, new rooms, etc. the main issue is that there was a huge party in the hallway until 4 AM. The hotel needs to hire a security guard to control this. Before booking I would call ask them if there are any wedding parties in the hotel. Last night we were told that there were 3 weddings in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear MPS_PHL,

We would like to apologize that your stay was unsatisfactory. We have full time security at the property and we guarantee that on busy nights they are working to ensure the safety and quality care of our guests. We will work so that on busy nights we can contain noise to one area of the hotel. We hope to see you again
NY, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

First let me say I am not a picky traveler. i like nice hotels but rarely get too worked up over minor issues that don't affect my stay but this time there were just too many "minor" issues to overlook. I hope this helps with your decision to stay here...

1) first and foremost, $54 to park your car overnight is just too much. (I have an SUV.) You get the feeling like the Hotel is taking advantage of visitors since most people don't have any other options to park. PLEASE NOTE: As we were leaving we noticed a parking garage around the corner for $19. Do yourself a favor and ASK THE BELLMAN where it is when you check in to avoid this outrageous charge.

2) The Hotel is not great. The lobby is a little dated, it feels like an old Sheraton you might find if you travel to out of the way places in the mid-west. Nothing that will make you sick but then again, nothing that will make you say "Wow, this is nice..." The windows on the ceiling make it feel like an Embassy Suites or something.

3) The service is pretty bad. I am a gold member of SPG and usually get nice upgrades when I check in but when I asked, I was told because this is a "small" hotel, they decided to only provide upgrades to Platinum members. They wouldn't even give me access to the club floor. Funny thing is I asked if they were sold out and was told they had plenty of rooms available. If you have plenty of rooms available, then why wouldn't you upgrade a loyal customer?? I felt like the woman at the front desk couldn't care less about me.
Also we asked for an extra bathrobe when we checked in. (There was only one in the room.) It never came. We had to call down twice to get them to come up. Then we asked for fresh towels at night. again they never came. Again we had to call several times to get them to deliver the towels.
I had a drink at the bar and tried to joke around with the bartender but he literally ignored me, choosing instead to chat with 2 employees standing around watching television. Not a big deal by itself but put together with the other hotel staff, it seems like they have an issue with "customer service" that is noticeable.

As I checked out and was walking to my car, I thought to myself, "Would I come back?" With so many great Hotels in Philly, the answer was definitely "no".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank nynybutredsoxfan
Dear nynybutredsoxfan,

We would like to apologize that experience you had on your most recent stay to Philadelphia was below our average of standards. We want to guarantee you that all of our guests are valuable to us and we always go above and beyond the call of service for them. We especially want to provide remarkable service for all of our SPG members. We would like to speak with you further regarding your stay. At your convenience, please reach out to Chris Petrucci at christopher.petrucci@sheraton.com so that we can rectify your experience.