Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District(Philadelphia)(Great Value!)
$197
$179
$188
  • Free Internet
$167
$199
$197
  • Restaurant
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
$239
$199
$329
  • Room Service
1,037 results
All reviewsold citygreat locationclub roomsouth streetpenn's landingcity tavernnice hotelhistorical sitesindependence hallwalking distanceliberty bellhistoric districtvalet parkingindoor poolstarbucks coffeebeautiful lobbythird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here Easter weekend with my wife and 5 year old, we booked ahead using Starwood points and asked for a king with an extra rollaway bed. Checkin and service throughout our stay was excellent, the hotel is beautifully appointed and seems recently renovated. There's a Starbucks bar on the ground floor, a huge atrium/lobby with lots of sofas to hang out, and the corridors for all floors look over this lobby. There's lots of natural light all over the hotel. A friend stayed separately without Starwood and noted the prices were quite good.

Most of the third floor is dedicated to Starwood travelers, and the rooms are clean, decent sized which can accommodate a king + rollaway or two double beds. There's an ok sized swimming pool with a separate kiddie (1 ft) pool and a hot pool. These are on the top floor in a glass covered area so warmed by the sun, which is excellent!

Located a few blocks away from the historical district so easy walk to the Liberty bell, Independence Hall, etc., near the waterfront. Waterfront views blocked because its quite low.

I am dropping two points in my review because there are quite a few absurd ripoffs which should be rectified:
- The internet is $10 a day for a ridiculously low speed. This seems to be a lure for you to buy a decent speed for $20+ a day.
- The restaurant is diner quality food for an absurd price. We went there for breakfast one day after eating at the Red Owl tavern a few blocks away (same prices, incredible food), and found a $15 waffle, $5 coffee, adding up to $50 for breakfast for 2 which would have been just ok at $20. These prices OR quality need to be brought in line to restore credibility.
- Room service adds $1+ per item, + $3 room service charge, + 22% gratuity (of which they say 18% is given to the staff). Ludicrous!
- Valet parking is $32 + tax + tip per day!! (Note behind the hotel there's a $25 cash per day lot which also allows multiple entry / exit). I'd suggest the hotel charge $32 all in for the luxury of not having the drive around the corner!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank n0sferatu
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear n0sferatu,

We are happy that you chose to stay with us on your most recent stay. We are glad that the service provided to you and hotel surroundings were excellent. We apologizes for the minor inconveniences that you experience that affected your overall stay. If you would like to reach out to christopher.petrucci@sheraton.com so that we may speak further about your stay, he will be happy to do so. We hope you choose to stay with us in the near future. Thank you

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great location in walking distance to main historical sites. Rooms are very comfortable, although you would not know as outside is rather dull and unassuming. Club is small but clean and serviced. Taxi ride is $30 from airport. Was told it was 6 miles by SPG but way further.

Stay on your feet and walk around hotel area. Great locations and so much to see from small village type streets to independence hall and liberty bell.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear John W,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are pleased that you were comfortable during your stay. We always encourage our guests to reach out to us directly so that we can provide them with the most accurate and up to date information. We are happy that you enjoyed our location and we hope you return to experience all Philadelphia has to offer

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great location and pricing for downtown Philadelphia. Very courteous staff and the room was spotless. My only peeve was the room numbering - very odd layout and not enough signs to direct you in the halls. We weren't the only ones; we encounter two other couples wandering around looking for their rooms as well. Also, the decor/style is a bit dated but not horribly so...

Room Tip: Not so much a good room, but ask at the front desk exactly where the room is. The numbering system for the rooms is, in a word, odd.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jim_A_NewJersey,

We greatly appreciate that you have taken time to review our hotel and the service that we provided to you. We are always looking for feedback so that we may improve our performance. We will communicate your comments with our staff so that we may better provide directions for guests rooms. We hope you return to stay with us again

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Due to the awful experience I had at the Westin Georgetown on Sunday, March 24th (which I reviewed yesterday). I had decided never use my Starwood credit card nor stay at any of their properties again. I took that experience personally because I always believed Starwood took care of its members. By the time I had checked into another hotel in DC, SPG twitter reached out to me and asked what they could do rectify the situation. By that time I had cancelled all my future reservations through June, but was due to arrive in Philadelphia yesterday. I believed SPG was sincere their endeavor. I said I would try the Sheraton brand since I just stayed at the Sheraton University Center in Syracuse the week before, had a lovely and very clean room that accommodated my family comfortably and the service from the front desk to the shuttle driver were all courteous and professional. I am writing this review sitting under the covers of a very plush bed with wonderful bedding, have decided to buy their comforter and shopping online for their mattresses. The room itself is very clean and quiet which lent to a good night's sleep. The location is near the water, Chestnut Street and Market Street. Went to the gym for a long run the treadmill and realized halfway through there wasn't any water available, called guest services and Jordan arrived very shortly afterwards with bottles of water. At the same time maintenance arrived to fix the water cooler. This is what you hope to expect when staying at a hotel, no hotel is perfect but they strive to resolve whatever issues quickly. Nelson, front desk, who was very welcoming when we arrived to check in was helpful in recommending restaurants in the area and an outdoor jogging route. We ate at a restaurant called Revolution on 2nd and Market which had very good pizza, eclectic menu and a knowledgeable waitstaff. Am happy to be returning to the Sheraton Society Hill in May.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear NYCBarbara,

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review. We are pleased our staff delivered the service you deserve. We are glad that our SPG team reached out to you as well, to ensure that your unsatisfactory stay did not go unanswered . Also, we are happy you decided to give us a chance to sway your opinion. We expect to give nothing but the best to all of our guests. We look forward to seeing you in May. If you would like to reach out to christopher.petrucci@sheraton.com to assist with your reservation, he will be happy to help.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Ideal Society Hill location - $30 cab ride from PHL, 5 minute walk to subway, and easy walking distance to some restaurants and shops.

As for the hotel itself - the big plus was the courteous staff, especially at the front desk. They were accommodating and always helpful when problems arose (stayed during inclement weather and had to stay an extra day in PHL). Doormen were courteous and friendly.

Rooms - comfortable and appropriate. Walls are thin! - I could hear my neighbors talking on their cell phones..bring ear plugs. Bathrooms do not have ventilation.

Workout room - open 24 hrs, decent equipment for weights (I went at 5AM, not too many people are up that early), plenty of cardio equipment. I could see how this could fill up at prime time as space is not very big.

Restaurants - did not eat in hotel

Room Tip: Was on SPG floor but tucked away at a corner (map of each floor is a square with elevators in the center)...although I had a nice view, it was a long walk to elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear CaptainRayFraser,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologizes for all of the little inconveniences you had experienced during your most recent stay with us and understand that all of these problems can lead to an overall mediocre stay. We thank you for mentioning the service our staff provided was exceptional. We hope you return to the Sheraton Philadelphia in the near future so that we may have another chance to make your stay better than the last.