“Not Bad, Nothing Special”

Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #32 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
vermont
“Not Bad, Nothing Special”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I was at this hotel for a conference last week.
The conference was held in the hotel.

Room/bedding was what you would expect for the price.
The heating/cooling system was not working completely properly and the window did not open leading to either a loud intermittent fan or overheating.
The HVAC system was near the entrance to the room and appeared to have been dented by luggage or a kick. Should have been fixed before asking a guest to stay in the room.
Stairways were very dirty. The pool/whirlpool were clean. The is a small fitness center.
The venting for the indoor pool/whirlpool is inadequate leading many in our group staying on the third or fourth floor to complain/remark that their rooms smelled like a pool house.

Service was not up to par other than at the front door. The door men were helpful and friendly.
The cleaning and floor staff were noisy in the hallway early in the morning and not friendly or professional.

The location is good. 5-20 minute walks to many restaurants. This is good because the in house restaurant, Taste, is overpriced and very routine at best.

The hotel is also a car rental location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank kiteboarddad
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Kevin C,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for your comments. We use your comments to help to improve our service and surroundings. We hope in the near future you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Korean first
Bristol, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

this hotel is very nice. stayed there as a romantic getaway with my now wife for a anniversary weekend, and also with some friends for an overnight stay in the city. it is within walking distance from many places to eat and drink. the overall appearance is really nice, very clean and well lit. for the coffee drinkers there is a starbucks inside. also there is a gym and an indoor pool which seemed very nice.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear kiteboarddad,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are so pleased to learn that you and your wife had an enjoyable time. We thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you in near future
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed October 20, 2012

In general this hotel was good especially for the price. The staff was really the only down side. Rarely did anyone open the door for me even when I was loaded with luggage. No bell hops anywhere. The cleaning staff totally ignored me and not a smile on their faces, kinda grumpy even. They would leave their cleaning cart in the middle of the hall consistently which made it impossible to get by. I had to put down my bags to move the large cart to get by them. Girls at front desk were great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Margaret P
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We apologize that you felt unwelcomed at our hotel. We always strived to provide the best of service and by providing your honest feedback it helps to improve our service. We hope that in the near future you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again
DC
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I booked this hotel for a romantic weekend to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. My first impression of this hotel is that is a beautiful through back to a different time. The lobby is inviting with a country club feel to it. The nice feeling faded as soon as I attempted to check in. I called the day before, yesterday, to confirm that I had a King sized bed. When I checked in I was told that I was confirmed for 2 double beds and there were no Kings available. I had called 2 times the day before and I do not know how this reservation magically got changed in their system. I explained that I called their front desk yesterday afternoon to confirm the king and was lectured on how reservations were not guaranteed. After being persistent, I learned that they did have kings available, but they were being cleaned. I am now waiting for the room I reserved and confirmed available to be cleaned at 4 pm. I did not get a warm welcoming feel from the lady at the front desk and this has changed my perception of the hotel before I even get to my room. It makes me wonder if the old fashioned treatment of minorities is part of the country club feel of the hotel. Others are getting their keys as I wait. Very unimpressed.

Room Tip: Try the Westin.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DCAdvisor
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory. We always strive to provide our guest with the best of service, and we feel as if we have let our guests down when they leave unhappy. We do you hope you return to the Sheraton Society Hill in the near future to experience the service you deserve.
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Was at the hotel for a conference in Mid October 2012. The front desk, room service, housecleaning staff were all great. Workout facility was good, open 24 hours with key access. I thought this hotel was a good value. My only ding - - light bulbs burned out in one of the lamps next to the bed in my room. I worked in hotels earlier in my career. This can be quite frustrating, although I was able to work around this issue. Due to the value conference rate I did not ding the rating, however, if I was paying rack rate, I would have definitely expected more. At $200 plus per night, I expect the room to be perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jeffbunten
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. We do apologize for the inconvenience of the light bulbs blowing out and then not being replaced during your stay. We always look to provide our guests with exceptional service. We do hope that in the near future you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again
Gadsden, Alabama
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Got in late at night a one day conference the next day Front desk extremely helpful in arranging late night carry out to satisfy my vegetarian appetite. Room modern, comfortable. Gave me a late checkout to accommodate my flight out. Would stay again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank BamaTourist
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and we thank you for your kind words. We look forward in hosting you in your future stays. Thank you
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Had a mini vacation in Philly and spent the night in the conveniently located Sheraton Society Hill. The room was updated, with a very comfortable bed and very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Request room either on the top floor not on the highway side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable time in Philadelphia and at our hotel for only a short time. We do hope you return to Philadelphia and the Sheraton Society Hill so you can experience everything we have to offer.