“Standard Issue Sheraton”

Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #33 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This property has a very good location adjacent to downtown in a pretty historic neighborhood. A lot less hustle & bustle & noise than downtown properties and it is very nice to walk around the neighborhood. Nice front desk staff & a great server in the restaurant,Toby, who took excellent care of us during our conference. Rooms are standard. In room wi fi signal was very weak so I often had to go to the lobby to work. housekeeping was very late very day & failed to replenish toiletries. Ordered room service once, which came quickly & was actually hot! Overall, a perfectly good choice if you don't plan to spend a lot of time @ the hotel & want a pleasant but accessible location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor away from the atrium, which can be noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We sincerely thank you for your feedback, as it helps our staff to improve our service. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope the next time you travel to Philadelphia you choose the Sheraton Society Hill.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I originally booked another chain property in the heart of downtown and specifically changed the reservation last-minute to the Sheraton Society Hill based on the reviews here. While it was an easy drive from PHL airport (about 10 minutes and very near to a highway exit), finding the actual entrance to the driveway was a bit confusing as the signage wasn't immediately apparent, especially with construction still taking place from one side of the hotel (see accompanying picture of the outside structure). After pulling up, we waited a couple minutes for a valet attendant to acknowledge us, but once one did, he was extremely friendly and gave us detailed directions on how to navigate through a long lobby to the front desk.

Check-in was quick if not a little sterile, but I was acknowledged as a Starwood member. The attendant did not verify that my rate included parking (AAA Club floor rate which included valet parking), so I asked him to verify. It would be helpful if the attendants could repeat all the details of one's rate upon arrival so that there are no surprises come check-out time.

We were directed to a third floor Club room, and we arrived just in time for the end of the evening's appetizer offerings. The club lounge is located off the elevator bank and had some very delicious hot offerings such as quesadillas, chicken cordon bleu snacks, empanadas, in addition to a bevy of fruits, cheese, crackers, free wine and beer, and soft beverages of all kinds. People from a convention were whooping it up rather loudly in the atrium-roofed portion of the lounge, but one can also relax on comfy couches and long dining tables placed in front of a big screen TV. There was also internet available.

Later that night we partook of a late night dinner/snack at TASTE restaurant, which is a sort of open-air bar/restaurant concept on the first floor. The entranceway to the restaurant is not immediately apparent, so we kind of lurked awkwardly until a waiter acknowledged our presence. The menu has standard contemporary American fare with Philly twists. We shared a cheesesteak and chicken noodle soup and both were fresh and better than expected. The servers were a little confused, sometimes doubling up on serving us and misunderstanding our orders, but only two men seemed to be serving the entire establishment, and it was close to closing time. The decor is chic and updated, as is the rest of the hotel lobby, which has its own Starbucks which operates during day hours. There are many nooks and crannies for lounging, and the architecture of a 4-story atrium brick style is unexpected and out of the ordinary. The room itself was functional and comfortable. The noise complaints that other reviewers stated can be easily allayed by closing the door that exists between the front door and the bedroom area, thereby creating a mini foyer -- this is not something one sees often in hotel rooms. Doing so in my room gave me a soundless, easy sleep.

Breakfast offerings in the Club lounge were just as tasty as the appetizer hour, including several hot items such as mini egg and ham muffins, hot oatmeal, waffles, yogurt, boiled eggs, cereals, fruits, juices, and an espresso machine to accompany relaxing with different morning papers and a burst of Today Show on the big screen.

Check out is nearly nonexistent. The hotel sends your final bill estimate to your e-mail, so if you have a Smartphone, you can simply walk out the front lobby if you agree with it.

My AAA rate for three people on a Club floor was $279, but it included valet parking ($30+ value and the aforementioned Club lounge feast, which we more than got our money's worth). It was also a few cobble-stoned streets away from the major historical sites of Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc. -- really walking distance if you're on the fit side.

Room Tip: Choose the Club floor if possible due to the amenities.
1  Thank KaliAlli

Reviewed August 21, 2012

One of the reasons I booked this hotel is because I have a fear of elevators and this hotel is only 4 floors. Most of the other hotels in the city are high risers. I figured I could just walk up the staris at the Sheraton Society Hill and avoid the anxiety of the elevator. I even called the hotel to make sure that I would be able to use the stairs and they said yes.

However, when I arrived, I was told there are no inside access to stairs for guests to get to their rooms. The stairs are external and for emergency evacuations only. I was told the only way to use the outside stairs was with a security guard escort. Since this would be embarrassing and a pain in the neck, I took the plunge and rode the elevator. Although this caused me anxiety, by the end of my stay, I actually felt that I could conquer this fear! I guess I should thank the Society Hill for this!!

The hotel has a contemporary feel, but I prefer something more intimate. The hotel is ok. The rooms are very comfy. The front desk staff are not very friendly. They can't even make a dinner recommendation. The valet staff, on the otherhand, are really nice and helpful. All in all,t was a great location. We had a great time in Philly and I am almost over my elevator fear after being forced to ride in one all week, even though I only had to go 1 floor up!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We apologize that the information about our stairways were not communicated to you appropriately. We are shocked and surprised to learn the front desk were not helpful. We will be sure to follow up. We are glad that you enjoyed the comfort of your hotel room. We do hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We paid around $300 a night to stay in this hotel. We have just returned from a day out around Philly - having left at 10am - a nd it is 6pm and our room has not been cleaned. We did not have the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. When we checked in 2 nights ago, we had to wait 2.5 hours for a rollaway bed to be brought to our room and it only arrived after (eventually giving up) we called Housekeeping/ front desk. We endured extremely loud screaming children taking over the hotel pool from 8pm to 10pm one night. There was no control by the parent and no member of staff around to intervene in what was clearly an inappropriate situation in a hotel claiming to be the standard this hotel claims to be. We have stayed in all manner of hotels from 2/3 star to the. Est luxury hotels and can honestly say the service we received at this hotel is the worst we have ever encountered. OK to stay here if you can get some. Groupon deal but do not waste your hard earned money on this hotel if you are looking for an upscale place to stay. This is most definitely not it. This Is the first time I have ever bothered to write a review. Our stay here was/is truly disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't stay here period
3  Thank Chris M
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We strive to provide our guests with a unique and one of a kind experience. We try to manage the pool to the best of our ability, while we do not have one specific person to manage, all of our employees help to ensure the pool is safe and fun for everyone. We will address your concern with the pool and secure and manage the pool in a better and safer way. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Excellent location! Excellent Staff! Excellent Manager! but it is not a 4 star from its looks and property condition, I was there for little over 2 weeks, I was upgraded to the largest room with access to the Lounge, it was very helpful as I was there with 2 little ones, super location you can walk to all the resturants and hestorical places of Philadelphia! staff at the lounge was very kind and helpful, even though one of them looked angry but in realty she was very kind and helpful! Hotel has roof top pool, if you have not seen many pools then it is great otherwise it is just an average pool. Morning breakfast at the lounge was good and complete except the eggs, I am not sure if they were out of the eggs or philadelphia has no chickens, no eggs at all.
Being an old hotel you can hear your neighbor getting out of hand, since we were there with kids I am sure adjoining rooms heard kids laughing and crying at all hours.
Every one and everything in this hotel was excellent except that it is not a 4 star property, but I will stay again for the warm hospitality, exceptional staff and great location!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are pleased to learn that you and your family had a great time. Recently, we completed a multimillion dollar renovation of the entire hotel. We are looking forward to the next time you stay with us and we will assign a quiet room. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel is in the process of being remodeled . The part that's done is very tastefully decorated and the rooms are quite comfortable. The bed was very nice and firm, room was clean and the air conditioner was just right. It was also a nice treat to have Starbucks coffee in the room ;-) I did have a little confusion with the lack of signage for the pool & fitness room but like I said they are in the process of a remodel. The front desk people were very helpful in letting me out of my full reservation due to not having to go back for Jury duty the following days. I would defiantly stay here again if coming back for a visit, it was close to everything Penns Landing, the historical sights and not far from center city with shopping and all the eateries.

Room Tip: perfect if going for Jury duty
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are pleased to announce that our entire hotel was renovated and we are now completing the front entrance, so that our guests have a pleasant arrival experience. We are pleased to learn you had an enjoyable stay. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to the next time you are able to stay with us. Thank you

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Was here for only one night for a stag party but the hotel is beautiful and is a short 30min taxi ride from the airport. The location is great as its within walking distance to many of the bars and restaurants in the downtown area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are glad to learn you had an enjoyable stay. We hope everyone in your party had a great time as well. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope the next time you come to Philadelphia you choose to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill.