“Very friendly and professional staff”

Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #33 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My wife and I went to this hotel for our 2nd wedding anniversary and thought it was very welcoming, when we first arrived with cookies and tea and a freindly staff member named Nelson at the front desk. I told him that we were there for our anniversary and to go to Bistro Romano's. We went for a walk and when we came back we found a little something special in our room for our anniversary from the front desck staff. We thought that was very thoughtful of them and want to thank the staff again for making our stay special. We booked the club section of the hotel and enjoyed its ammenities. The only complaint I have, and this is not any fault of staff, is, the room we had was room 3074 which is across from the ice machine and vending area, and did keep us from a restful night sleep with qute a few wakeup's from people talking and using the machines until 3 am and then again in the early morning at 6 am., they need to work on this problem. This said, the staff make up for the short comings in the design of the hotels vending area. Hats off to a fine hotel.

Room Tip: stay away from vending area and elevators
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review us and we thank you for such a wonderful review. We are pleased to read that you had a most enjoyable stay and that our staff had the pleasure to help give you a great experience. We do apologize for the noise from the ice machine and will address this to ensure future guests are not disturbed by this. We would like to wish you a Happy 2nd Wedding Anniversary and many more to come. We hope you choose to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My friend suggested this property because of its location, and besides a great location, the staff is very helpful. In 10 minutes, I could be almost anywhere from Betsy Ross's home to Independence Hall. Nearby is the Liberty Museum which isn't talked about very much but it is outstanding with it's discussion of liberty with some of the best blown glass collection and awesome "jellybean kids." right by there s the Chemical Museum, too. Check it out. If you are eligible to be on the Starwood Club Floor, the complimentary breakfast is great.

The rooms are redone so that is very ice. The gym equipment is very old and needs a serious upgrade. Maybe the owners think walking everywhere is enough of a workout.

One word of caution: Market Street, the main street to the historical sights, is wall to wall people during the day. After an early dinner with friends, I walked up from 2nd to 13th to shop at Macy's. When I stopped in CVS drugstore on the way back, I asked if it was safe to walk to my hotel: without a moments hesitation, I was told to get a cab...too many drug deals at night. Surprising advice, but I took it.

Room Tip: Didn't notice anything special. Need air conditioning in the summer since humidity is very much...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and we thank you for the great comments. The hotel has recently undergone major renovations, including the gym. We apologize our fitness center did not meet your needs. With our limited space we provide guest the basic equipment to stay fit away from home. We hope in the near future you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Sheraton offers comfort, cleanliness and a little bit of luxury. I love the rooftop pool and the spacious, comfortable lounge. It's biggest attraction is that the tour bus stops just around the corner and you can walk out into the old city as well as being only a few blocks from Independence Hall. On the other hand you are in walking distance of the river. The only drawback [if you consider it one] is that there is no wi-fi in the rooms and you have to go to the lobby for free access. That seems a bit old-fashioned. I've stayed there twice and enjoyed both stays. It is a bit expensive but a lovely area to explore.

Room Tip: Go through a booking site and get a discounted room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we sincerely like to thank you for returning. We always try to make every experience fun and unique and we love our repeat customers. We do offer in room wi-fi for a fee of $9.95 but we do offer packages which are available on our website that includes internet. We hope that in the near future you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The hotel is location wise one of the best. We had an over all great experience with one small hiccup.

Pros: The location is great, the rooms are well appointed and for now brand new. The pool is a great place to relax a bit...you do not feel like you are in the city. The staff is friendly, polite and knowledgeable. The afternoon cookies and tea in the lobby were a wonderful suprise! Lastly, this hotel the lobby, rooms, pool etc are VERY clean.

Cons: The valet really have a horrible job....the parking is offsite so it always gets log jammed. Call ahead for your car. It was really the only place we had to wait.

We had an issue with noise. We were apparently above on of the even rooms. Since we checked in with a seven year old I wasn't happy. I was told that at 11 it would stop. It did but in the morning I was still annoyed so I called and spoke to the manager. I really wanted to stay mad but she handled it so well I couldn't. She told me that she would speak with the night staff regarding how my call was handled. In addition, they gave us passes for brunch in the hotel. The food was pretty good and the service was top notch (a full box of crayons for kids with a coloring sheet).

Because of how professional the staff was the noise issues wouldn't stop us from staying here again we would just request floors 3 or 4.

Room Tip: If you are going out to dinner skip lunch and have some tea and cookies for an afternoon snack. Won...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate you taking time to review our hotel and give us such positive and generous feedback. We apologize for the inconvenience with the noise, but are so happy to hear the front desk agents helped to resolve the problem. We look forward to your future stay here, at the Sheraton Society Hill

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed only one night for a wedding, so didn't really get a chance to see what was around the area. There did look to be some restaurants within walking distance though. Staff was friendly and the room was nice and clean. Lobby was very well done. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were the understuffed type that leaves your head with zero support. AAA rate was $169. I didn't shop around, but I would consider that reasonable. Unfortunately, it's $10/day for wi-fi, and $40 or so for valet parking (the only other parking was off site, and I'm not sure where it was). Good overall, but take the extra fees into account when shopping around.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swearengen

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate you taking the time to review our website and thank you for the kinds words. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with us.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed overnight on 8/4/2012. We had arrived early and asked if we could check in but was told the room still needed to be made up. The desk staff confirmed a crib and refrigerator were ordered and they would call us when it was ready. OK, no problem, we were early. So we went for lunch on Market Street which is just a few blocks away. The location is great in that you can walk around in the old city area easily and they will call you a cab from the taxi stand 100' away from the front door if you need one. We were called, twice, I missed both calls, our room was ready probably within an hour or so from when we arrived. Overall the stay was nice, room was big (Club Suite), and the continental breakfast was plentiful. I was charged the $9.95 Wi-Fi fee, but a quick call resolved that. I was surprised by the $32 + $6.40 tax overnight parking fee, but I chalk that one up to about normal I guess (similar to NY I think), I was hoping for cheaper parking in Philly. The taxes are interesting too, not sure if NY is the same, but there is a room tax, mine was $13.23 and then an occupancy/tourism tax of $15.50. What are you doing Philly?

Room Tip: Club Suites are worth the expense, basically double the size of a standard room and $9.95 Wi-Fi fee...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for mentioning our staff. They work very hard and we are proud they are Sheraton employees. We do apologize about the internet fee but happy to see our staff cleaned up the issues. The tourism taxes are used by the city to help with the promotion and preservation of Philadelphia and its historic sites. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

After reading review after review for several Philadelphia hotels I had come to the conclusion that all Philly hotels must be horrible. I had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and did not want to go back. The only hotel available at our late date, that would fill our needs was the Sheraton. I really dreaded staying there after so many poor reviews. Bad location, noisy, old and dated. We stayed three nights. It was fine.

'The hotel is noisy', if you stay in the room over the atrium I am sure it could be.There were two weddings one evening and it was loud. It's a city hotel, it is to be expected. Book a room off the atrium.

'The hotel is not conveniently located for restaurants', Only if you are unable to walk a block or more. It is located in the heart of blocks of restaurants and clubs. Directly across the street is a knock out Italian restaurant. If you do not want to walk, ask the concierge to have the hop on hop off bus pick you up. Cabs are cheap in this city.

'it's dirty and dated'. This was my biggest concern because dated usually means a horrible bed.I can only speak for our room, it was very clean, no bugs, bed was comfortable with nice linens, mini fridge, safe, extra towels and bath supplies. Ice cold air conditioning. Housekeeping did a great job. In the bathroom we could hear the amorous couple next door but not in the room itself.The outlet in the bath was old, but who cares? It worked. Pet peeve, no fan in bathroom. Hate that.

Parking is pricey, it's expected in a city with limited space. If parking is a concern, there are parking lots nearby or just stay in the suburbs. Mind you, they do park you car in a covered, secure location.

The club level was a nice perk offering a morning breakfast with a Starbucks coffee maker and lots of good fresh fruit. In the afternoons we would stop by for a quick snack. before freshening up to head back out. Tracy was very hospitable making us and others very comfortable. A nice perk to the long days.

It's a city hotel with a constant customer turnover. For the number of guests this hotel holds, I found it to be a decent, clean location with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are very pleased reading your review. We thank you for the kind words and the great detailed you gave to our hotel and our surrounding area. We are pleased to learn you had an enjoyable stay. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with us again. Thank you