“Nice, clean hotel, good location, expensive parking”

Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #31 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed overnight on 8/4/2012. We had arrived early and asked if we could check in but was told the room still needed to be made up. The desk staff confirmed a crib and refrigerator were ordered and they would call us when it was ready. OK, no problem, we were early. So we went for lunch on Market Street which is just a few blocks away. The location is great in that you can walk around in the old city area easily and they will call you a cab from the taxi stand 100' away from the front door if you need one. We were called, twice, I missed both calls, our room was ready probably within an hour or so from when we arrived. Overall the stay was nice, room was big (Club Suite), and the continental breakfast was plentiful. I was charged the $9.95 Wi-Fi fee, but a quick call resolved that. I was surprised by the $32 + $6.40 tax overnight parking fee, but I chalk that one up to about normal I guess (similar to NY I think), I was hoping for cheaper parking in Philly. The taxes are interesting too, not sure if NY is the same, but there is a room tax, mine was $13.23 and then an occupancy/tourism tax of $15.50. What are you doing Philly?

Room Tip: Club Suites are worth the expense, basically double the size of a standard room and $9.95 Wi-Fi fee...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and thank you for mentioning our staff. They work very hard and we are proud they are Sheraton employees. We do apologize about the internet fee but happy to see our staff cleaned up the issues. The tourism taxes are used by the city to help with the promotion and preservation of Philadelphia and its historic sites. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

After reading review after review for several Philadelphia hotels I had come to the conclusion that all Philly hotels must be horrible. I had previously stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and did not want to go back. The only hotel available at our late date, that would fill our needs was the Sheraton. I really dreaded staying there after so many poor reviews. Bad location, noisy, old and dated. We stayed three nights. It was fine.

'The hotel is noisy', if you stay in the room over the atrium I am sure it could be.There were two weddings one evening and it was loud. It's a city hotel, it is to be expected. Book a room off the atrium.

'The hotel is not conveniently located for restaurants', Only if you are unable to walk a block or more. It is located in the heart of blocks of restaurants and clubs. Directly across the street is a knock out Italian restaurant. If you do not want to walk, ask the concierge to have the hop on hop off bus pick you up. Cabs are cheap in this city.

'it's dirty and dated'. This was my biggest concern because dated usually means a horrible bed.I can only speak for our room, it was very clean, no bugs, bed was comfortable with nice linens, mini fridge, safe, extra towels and bath supplies. Ice cold air conditioning. Housekeeping did a great job. In the bathroom we could hear the amorous couple next door but not in the room itself.The outlet in the bath was old, but who cares? It worked. Pet peeve, no fan in bathroom. Hate that.

Parking is pricey, it's expected in a city with limited space. If parking is a concern, there are parking lots nearby or just stay in the suburbs. Mind you, they do park you car in a covered, secure location.

The club level was a nice perk offering a morning breakfast with a Starbucks coffee maker and lots of good fresh fruit. In the afternoons we would stop by for a quick snack. before freshening up to head back out. Tracy was very hospitable making us and others very comfortable. A nice perk to the long days.

It's a city hotel with a constant customer turnover. For the number of guests this hotel holds, I found it to be a decent, clean location with friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are very pleased reading your review. We thank you for the kind words and the great detailed you gave to our hotel and our surrounding area. We are pleased to learn you had an enjoyable stay. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with us again. Thank you

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Clean hotel, clean beds, nice location. It was a delight to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill!

Starting at checkout, where the employee (I unfortunately forgot her name, but know she had something about a train terminal on her badge) went out of her way to accomodate our request of having two rooms that were adjacent. Especially since I had booked those rooms through frequent-flyer points.

Had a few walks in the neighborhood. Timing might have been an issue as Sunday morning seemed to be garbage morning. But we felt very safe at all times. Had a cheesesteak sandwich at Campo's (the heater was delicious!) and had sandwiches made for our lunch at the Olde City Food Market which were great.

Bathroom was nice. Shower pressure was excellent.

Went to the pool and spa. It was nice and quiet albeit a bit dark after sunset.

Even if there were a few wedding receptions going on, we didn't hear any noise, even though we had a room on the atrium.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

No fridge, no mini bar, no shower cap among other small missing things. No free Wifi, not even in the lobby. Some basics you even get on smaller and cheaper hotels were missing. No free Wifi. Other than that, it was a comfortable place to stay if you are willing to pay a high price for an average service.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We would like to inform that we do have free WiFi in the lobby, refrigerators upon request and we do have shower caps available. We apologize this was not communicated to you clearly and hope the next time you come to Philadelphia you choose to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill and we will make it a memorable experience.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I felt compelled to write this review since I read a few reviews before we booked this hotel and my friend was a bit apprehensive. Apparently, someone had stayed here in the past and had experienced bedbugs. As a former investor in a 640 hotel in LA, I tried to educate my friend that bedbugs can appear in the most expensive hotels as well as the dirtiest hotels. The problem is the traveler; especially foreign travelers with less than perfect hygiene practices. We rented two rooms for the week and both rooms were in excellent condition. The hotel was recently renovated and it showed beautifully. We both were so impressed with the staff. You see, we had made our reservations on Priceline and had to combine multiple reservations for the 7 day stay. The front desk was extremely patient in working out adjoining rooms and accommodating our requests. The bell staff was more than helpful and the maids were gracious and also very accommodating. Ignore the one isolated case of bedbugs since I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate your amazing feedback and are pleased that you had a most enjoyable stay. We are very proud of our staff and we are so glad they made you feel comfortable and relaxed. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Check in for this hotel was fast but clerk did not want to give any upgrade options. I had a deal through the hotel that included parking (a $38 value apparently) but since I decided against renting a car I asked if I could put the value against upgrading to a club room. I was rudely shot down before I could even state I would pay the difference or ask if I could just upgrade. Reviewed an confirmation email that I had received in I booked the hotel stating I could have upgraded to club for $50. Oh well, saved me from giving the hotel any additional money.

Other that that the hotel was fine. The room was clean, decor nice. Pool was small but that was to be expected for the location. Hotel lose to the dock but farther away from the majority of historical sites that I planned to visit. Within walking distance but after doing the walk to sites, walking around the sites, and dining I really wish I chose the Omni Hotel, since it was much closer to attractions.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HappyHaunts

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and appreciate your feedback. We apologize for the experience you had and will address the appropriate department. Thank you

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and had two rooms. Both were nice and up to the Starwood expectation. The location is great and within walking distance to the sights. I liked that the location was not on a busy street and a bit quieter than some of the other hotels we looked at. The one thing that topped it off was the pool. Our kids loved the pool - they say it was their favorite thing about Philadelphia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us on your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate it and so happy that you, along with your family enjoyed the hotel, accommodations and amenities. We receive many great comments on our pool and we are glad that our families can enjoy the experience and create memories ! We look forward to your return visit to The Sheraton Society Hill Hotel.