“Chairs are important when you are sitting in a conference room all day!”

Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel
Ranked #31 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have been at the hotel for a work-related event. I thought I was sliding out of my conference room chair because I was tired. But, by session 3, I realized, it was not me, it was the chair! I am petite, but even for me the seat cushion and back support are too narrow. The back support,especially, is teeny. There are no arm rests. The fabric is almost slippery. Since I will be spending the bulk of my time here in the conference rooms, this is significant.
As a regular guest, I find the mattress too soft and after 2 nights, I can already feel the impact of this on my back. There is no working ice machine on the 4th floor (there are random scuff marks and holes on the floor where the ice machine should be). My room is as far as a room can be from the elevator banks, and like most/all hotels these days, there are no stairs that a guest can take up to their room to save time and get a bit of exercise.
I think it would be easy enough for the hotel to use better chairs in conference rooms. If they had done so, this negative review would never have been posted.
I want to add that the 2 people at the front desk who I have asked for assistance with on local matters have been helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We apologize for your inconvenience during the conference you attended at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to better ensure the comfort of our guests. We want to thank you for recognizing the front desk agents and their service skills. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia for leisure you choose to stay with us. Thank you

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Great job hosting all of our guests and accommodating everyone for a short notice for 30 people on a morning brunch. (Wish we would have had our rehearsal dinner there, lol)

Great staff and the prices were very reasonable given the location in PHilly. Cleanliness was very good too!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I was in town for a large conference (June 2012) and was pleasantly surprised by the Sheraton Society Hill. I enjoyed having so much history right outside the front door and it’s very easy to walk anywhere downtown from the hotel (though it will take 15 mins or so) Cabs were plentiful if you needed to get someplace and didn’t want to walk.

I was given a King room (newly remodeled) on the 3rd (Club) floor. Since everything in the room was remodeled there isn’t much to say about it except it was comfortable, clean, new and very enjoyable.

The club room was very large and with your room key you could stop in at any time and grab a free water or soda. The gym looked completely new as well and there is also a pool at the hotel.

If you want to be in a smaller hotel that has a lot of history all around it, don’t stay downtown among all the financial buildings and stay here instead.

The only downside was that on ½ the floor, the emergency intercom was experiencing random static all weekend and the same speakers are in your room. I had several colleagues who were also attending the conference who were kept awake most nights by the static. When they complained to the front desk they offered to send up an engineer but conceded that there was probably nothing that the engineer could do. Since it was a sold out conference, there were no rooms to move them to.

I have posted pictures of the gym, club room and my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room and try a book a club room if the cost difference is minimal
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelinKenChi
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

TravelinLeather, Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. First off, we would like to apologize for the static interference with the intercoms that you and your colleagues experienced. We understand how a restless night of sleep can impact your entire stay. We have spoken with our engineering department and corrections are in place. We are very glad to learn that you had an enjoyable stay, and we thank you for positive feedback and some very nice pictures included. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again to further enjoy historic Philadelphia

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I've stayed at this property several times and I can honestly say that although it's small and quaint from the outside, it's very inviting and spacious on the inside. I love that it's centrally located to many of Philly's top restaurants and night life. The rooms that have been renovated are very nice, bedding is über comfortable....by far some of the best hotel beds I've slept in. The manager at the property, Karen, will do everything possible to make you feel right at home. Our project team loves her for being so darn good to us!!

This is definitely one of my favorite Sheraton properties because of the size, it's small, cute and charming. Definitely isn't as overwhelming as some other properties.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We recently attended a wedding close by to the hotel. It was wonderful, from the front desk staff to the attendants outside. We took a trolley to the wedding site to and from the hotel. The beds were my favorite part we got a great nights sleep. We were very pleased with the entire experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Terrific place, near Penn's Landing, with very comfy beds and good amenities. Breakfast buffet is standard fare. Free wifi in beautiful lobby on 4 computers, but you pay extra for room wifi.
No frig in room, but there are 2 one litre bottles of water on desk. They cost extra, but there's nothing to tell you that. Gift shop is nice. Nice staff. Valet parking only. Newspapers available from table by elevators.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Dear wacotx46, Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We greatly appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel, and also thank you for uploading pictures of our renovated guest rooms and hotel lobby. We are happy to learn that your enjoyed your stay and were pleased by the service you received from our staff. Here at the Sheraton Society Hill we enjoy learning about the pleasant experiences from our guest. We hope the next time you come to Philadelphia you choose to stay with us again, and next time take the water its complimentary.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed from Tuesday thru Saturday. I valet parked my car and never had to use her the whole time I was at the Sheraton. I had a great feeling about the hotel just from my first experience with the Valet and the Door Greeter, they worked as a team; my luggage was out of the car and the door opened with a smile and warm greeting. I had to wait in the lobby behind some other guest, but the woman on duty was courteous, friendly and took time with her guest; so I didn’t mind.
The room was clean; plenty of pillows and the bed was comfy. I was on the 4th floor, close to the indoor pool and hot tubs (yes two hot tubs). Kids were in there the first night and having a ball. The restaurant
has good food and the adult beverages have just the right amount of alcohol.
This hotel is centrally located to the Old City, a short walk to Independence Hall and some of the finest restaurants in Philly. I was able to walk out the back door and catch the “Big Bus”, a tour bus that takes you all around the cities’ prominent stopping points. Across the street is a bus line ‘42’ that will take you into downtown about a mile West. Three blocks North is the Market / 2nd Street subway, that will take you downtown as well.
The hotel is only 4 or 5 blocks East of Horse Drawn Carriage Rides down Chestnut Street. South Street is only a couple of blocks South of the hotel where fine dining and shopping can be had.
Over the walkway is the Delaware River where one can unwind after a busy day of meetings.
I was impressed with the staff, they seemed like they really liked each other and that showed in their mannerisms and their smiles.
They had two wedding parties and a Prom, didn't seem to cause any wrinkles in the operation.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool the 4th floor is your choice. I overlooked the circle, where th...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank artkitz
SheratonSocietyHill, Manager at Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. We are pleased to learn that you had a terrific experience at the hotel. We thank you for all of your kind words and are truly moved that our staff had really made a difference in your stay. We pride our self on our service and are happy to see that it pays off. We hope the next time you are in Philadelphia you choose to stay with the Sheraton Society Hill again. Thank you