“Great Stay”
Review of Penn's View Hotel

Penn's View Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel on Thursday, July 17th. We attended a concert in Camden and used the walk-on ferry at Penns Landing. Hotel is within walking distance. There is parking right next door ($23 for 24 hrs). Very close to waterfront and Market Street restaurants & bars. Room was a little small but had everything we needed. The hotel had an "old-school" feel to it (actual brass room keys, hard wood floors, etc). Could not beat the hotel and location for the price. We will stay there again. Thank you Penns View!!

Room Tip: Rooms with Jacuzzi's are only $20 more than the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GregBabs
There are newer reviews for Penn's View Hotel

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed at Penn's Landing for five nights in July, 2014 and had a very satisfactory stay. The hotel is small and charming, and the location is great. You are within walking distance of many of the popular sights and the subway station is about a block away. We had one of the smaller rooms, but it was pretty and adequate for what we needed, very clean, and the bed was super comfortable. One of the best things about this hotel is the staff. To a person, they were warm, welcoming and helpful. The breakfast is pretty basic, but you can boil eggs and there is a waffle maker. My only suggestion would be to vary the fruit and bread dishes...after five days it got a little monotonous. We did not really have a problem with street noise, but after a full day of sightseeing, it would have taken a lot to bother our sleep. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are a person who has to have a bathtub, be sure and request a room with a tub. some of the b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Great evening restaurant and bar with some great food and wines. Friendly helpful staff.
Breakfast restaurant is a little basic but ok. Pity that the attention shown in the evening is not show in the morning.
That said the old hotel is showing its age. Room and bathroom are tired looking but clean. Reception area is small though receptionist was very helpful. Moving your bags about the hotel is difficult as corridors are tight. Location great for wandering around the old part of town or accessing the river front but facing a major highway is a downer.
In short try the bar and restaurant maybe stay elsewhere until they do a little updating.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed at Penns View for 3 nights.It was a fantastic location!! We walked everywhere without a problem. The hotel is very old and kept the charm and theme of historic Philadelphia. The beds were comfortable and the bath and shower were perfect.
The hotel has a fabulous Italian restaurant and wine bar that's won many awards. The breakfast that was included was more than ample with waffles, eggs, fruit and pastry. The price for our stay was more than reasonable.Just loved this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angelavol
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was planning on taking a trip to Philadelphia to see some of the historic sites like Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell etc... I stumbled upon Penn's View which is in the Old Town area. I thought this would be perfect, and in walking distance of a lot of these sites.

This boutique hotel looked fabulous and I knew my wife would be thrilled. I paid the extra money and booked the premium king which has a guaranteed view of the river. When we entered the old town it seemed more run down than I expected. I know some cities put a lot of effort into keeping historical areas clean. Compared to Gettysburg and Boston this town/area seemed dirty and a bit run down. This is not however the Hotels fault. There is parking right beside the hotel but you have to pay for it. I was a little upset that the hotel did not offer free parking, however the parking was a little cheaper than some of the other areas. Walking into the hotel the manager came out and carried my wife's luggage in which was very nice. The employee at the desk let us check in a little early and was also very nice.

The Hotel itself was very beautiful inside and to get to our room we had to go up the elevator down a few steps and up a few steps which was kind of neat. The room was nice looking and the room had a nice Victorian look to it. The room didn't have a refrigerator or microwave but I do think that might have taken away from the elegance of the room so this was ok with me. The bath room was nice and had a whirl pool bathtub which was a great touch. The bed was comfortable and the brick walls were beautiful. The view was not as good as I expected.

The wine bar was beautiful but extremely overpriced. I expected this however because the cost to keep so many wines on tap must be enormous. The breakfast in the morning was fantastic. The room was very elegant and nice. The breakfast itself was very good and had many things to select from. This was a great experience and I would definitely come back however I do not feel the Premium King was worth it and we would opt for a normal room next time.

Room Tip: As nice as it sound to have a view of the river I didn't think it was worth it for the extra mon...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Cody C
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed here for several nights recently for a business trip. What a charming hotel. It felt like I was staying in Italy. It's a very old building that was renovated into a hotel. The rooms are decorated with old world charm. Very comfortable beds, wonderful jacuzzi tub in a well appointed bathroom, the softest towels I have ever felt. The continental breakfast is fabulous and the restaurant is great for dinner. They have a great bar with the greatest wine selection on tap. It is also in a great location, right in the old city within walking distance of all the historic sights and Penn's Landing. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the back don't have a view but are more quite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BellaFleur
Reviewed July 12, 2014

we really enjoyed our time here! the room and the forniture are in a fashinating old style! the service was great and so was the breakfast! it is not really central but, in philly, everything is walkable!

1  Thank luv81