“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Clearwater, Florida
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

It's a revived structure (Historic Preservation Designated) and so I'm skeptical of such buildings.

Upon arrival I look for dirt or lack of maintenance, this place was beautiful and clean and well maintained. In an old building like this I look for entrance ways for vermin like plumbing fixtures, etc., this place was sealed tight and it looked to me like every effort was made to make this a safe, hygienic environment free from vermin of any type.

The room was authentically decorated. The breakfast facilities and food itself were excellent. The decor and music (traditional holiday) was wonderful.

I would make a few suggestions for improvement. First in our room (413) I would move the toilet paper roll-bar somewhere else. It's right next to the toilet (perhaps 4") in a tight squeeze and even a very skinny person will have a difficult time getting to it.

Second, there should be either comp bottled water (just purified; nothing fancy) or a vending machine where you can buy bottled water. When I inquired at the front desk I was referred to the restaurant/lounge. The restaurant/lounge only sold 2 litre sized bubbly water. All I wanted was a $2. bottle of purified water.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to anyone wanting a Philadelphia experience. I'd just bring my own water.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrosaRoadWarrior
pvh215, General Manager at Penn's View Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Suggestions are always welcome. We will look into the issues raised. Being a historic property - space for a soda machine is extremely difficult to place. We are in the process to move some plumbing and electrical needs in order to get a more modern vending machine in place at our hotel.

Thank you for the feedback and hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a cute little boutique hotel in a convenient neighborhood. You can walk to many excellent restaurants. You can walk to the Liberty Bell. There's lots of boutique shopping nearby. The room itself is good, though it could probably stand an update. It's comfortable and clean and good value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
pvh215, General Manager at Penn's View Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are in the process of renovating our hotel rooms, with new textlies, rugs, window treatments & bedding.

We want to encourage a tradtional feel while having modern day comforts. we look forward to your future stays.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel is in a prime, perfect spot...near the bus and within walking distance of most historic sites with a great view of the Ben Franklin bridge. Very clean, nice boutique hotel and free breakfast! Since there were three of us (all adult females), we opted to get a 1 bedroom suite which was perfect. Downstairs was an Italian restaurant which we didn't eat at, but did have our daily continental breakfast. But we did go to the wine bar which was very nice too, and had 120 wines. You do not need a car as Philly is a walkable city; however, we did take a bus to the museum district as we were on time constraints one of the days. Really enjoyed our stay at Penn's View.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank toadsoup
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed November 20, 2013

This classic boutique hotel located on Front street is within walking distance to all the historic sites and is a nice alternative to the higher priced downtown hotels. It's clean and well maintained. The hotel is host to an Italian restaurant with excellent food. Guests are provided a continental breakfast that actually includes fresh made poached eggs and waffles. The breakfast attendant is very friendly and assists guests with using the egg poacher and waffle iron. The front desk staff was very friendly. There is a parking concession (only parking option) located next to the hotel but it's owned by a third party operator who supposedly provides a small discount for guests. I am not sure that I got a discount for a one night parking stall but parking in downtown Philly is expensive so maybe I should be thankful that it wasn't more. The rooms are a bit small but this isn't uncommon in the historic hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I had used this hotel numerous times for business and pleasure (on the order of 8 - 10 times/year). The reservation was made approximately 3 weeks in advance of the date of the reservation and it was made online. Somehow the online system recorded the reservation for the same date as opposed to the date for which it was made. My card was charged for that night. I did not receive a courtesy call to confirm the reservation or to question me when I "didn't show up". I needed the room on the date for which I made it and therefore was charged again for the night that was actually booked. They reduced the rate but added lots of fees and I practically paid what I had paid for the night I didn't need. The person on duty was rude on the phone and there were contradictory stories related to where the manager was at the time. Clearly my business was not valued and I no longer trust this hotel. The property is beautiful and it's a fabulous location but this experience will preclude ANY additional business from me and my network of associates and family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Jen R
We are sorry if there was any confusion on our part. The reservations that come through our system we follow exactly . If we booked the date it says in the reservation we are only following what we have been doing since the inception of online booking. If the guests happens to make an error and doesn't realize it until the date of checkin - it isn't the hotel's fault.

Giving an $89 rate to a guest during a city-wide convention is reasonable and is well less than double. We are sorry that this problem could not have been resolved in another manner. Hopefully checking confirmations or doublechecking with the hotel directly to verify your guest's reservation can avoid this issue in the future.
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was in a Perfect location. Parking right next door. Beautiful room w/fireplace, jacuzzi. Restaurant was exceptional especially the chef's menu! Front desk was friendly and helpful. Delicious breakfast included. Highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Just visited Philadelphia for a few days as part of an anniversary get-away and stayed at the Penn's View Hotel. The hotel is terrific--historic and beautiful, with a great location. Service was wonderful--everyone was welcoming and polite. We had requested a queen room with a gas fireplace, but it was not working properly, so the hotel upgraded us to a king room with a working fireplace. It really was a small matter, but the upgrade was a very nice gesture and typical of the friendly nature of the staff. The room was comfortable and had a beautiful exposed brick wall that added to the history of the hotel. Each morning there is a self-serve breakfast in the hotel restaurant and that was excellent--good choices for a light breakfast before starting the day. Overall our stay was wonderful and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple