“Gem in Olde City” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 84 Hotels in Philadelphia
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Gem in Olde City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We enjoyed our two nights at the Penn's View. The rooms were nice and clean and the continental breakfast was lovely. It definitely has an Olde City Philadelphia historic feel and character... may not be your preference if you are looking for something with a trendy/ modern feel. We would stay there again!

Room Tip: Stop in the wine bar for a flight.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Date of Lodging: November 9-11, 2012. I wanted to surprise my wife for her birthday with a trip to Philadelphia so that she could take in all the historic sites and great food that the city has to offer. I knew nothing about Penn’s View Inn prior to booking my reservations and knowing that my wife prefers quaint, historic, bed & breakfast lodging over four and five star any day – I wanted to give this establishment a try. Well – I am very pleased to say that not only was my wife surprised but I was very impressed also. The staff (Antonio – the Manager) personally escorted us to our room and you could tell he was very knowledge about the hotel and the surrounding area. The room was a small suite on the fifth floor (Room 508). It was perfect – from our balcony we could see the river and in the other direction we could see the steeple of Christ Church. Dinner in the hotel’s restaurant was first class – and the room service was quick and courteous. When you read this review you have to ask why should I believe this guy…well…I have stayed in numerous four and five star hotels in many major cities and in Hawaii and even as a Rewards Member of two of the major hotels I have not been this impressed with attention to service and detail. Also, the different driver’s from the limo company that I used daily for our three day get-away all had great things to say about the establishment – and they got nothing for saying it either. Nice walk to the historic sites and really great little shops only a few steps away on Market Street. Enjoy. ****One little thing extra - when we arrived at the hotel the first night my wife walked into the lobby with a bouquet that I had the driver bring to the airport...it was not in a vase...without asking...and this may seem to be a common sense thing...the lady checking us in brought a vase to my wife with a pair of scissors...little things like that is what I am talking about...when we left the beautiful bouquet was proudly displayed at the hotel's front desk...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dave T
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a charming hotel in a fantastic location, offering truly world class service. The wine bar is fabulous with over 100 wines by the glass. The restaurant food is divine and offered in a beautiful ambience. Our room was very good, but by far what made it a memorable stay was the service. From check in to check out 5 days later everyone was interested in us, passionate about all aspects of the hotel, and willing to do anything possible to make our stay amazing. Thank you to the entore team. You made our Philly weekend memorable.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank yank715
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed there one Saturday night in October, 2012. Room 400, looking straight at the highway (and the Camden skyline). You could hear the traffic noise only if you were real quiet and listened real hard. Our room had double windows (not a storm window over a real window, but a real window inside another real window) and heavy curtains. Noise was not an issue in the least. Honestly, I've been in a couple dozen hotels that were a lot noisier than this one.

The hotel itself is right at Penn's Landing on the Delaware River, within walking distance of all the historical attractions and lots of places to eat and drink. It is understated, attractive, and well-maintained inside and out. Our room had a queen, a gas fireplace, and a jacuzzi. The staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't try the restaurant.

With tax, it came to $204. A good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in seperate rooms at Penn View for 3 nights. His room was large and cozy with a fire place, small balcony and bathtub. My room was very small and had none of the same amenities. I booked mine through a promotion on Expedia and he booked his through the Penn View website I believe. If I could redo my visit, I would ensure I got a room like his even if I had to pay more. The hotel location is great and I highly recommend staying in the Old City area. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Just a heads up to anyone who is driving and relying on iPhone GPS to navigate to the hotel, you will be taken to a location that is several blocks over but on the same street.

• Stayed October 2012
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Great customer service from the night audit attendant, Tom. Great location easy to get anywhere from hotel. Nice and cozy rooms. Gives you a sense of historic pride knowing the history of the area and hotel. I would recommend this hotel to all!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is exactly what we were looking for in Philadelphia. Not an anonymous chain, but a very charming hotel.
Check in staff was so friendly, they spent 10mins showing us the map, where to go and what to see.
The room was huge, elegantly furbished, with marble bathroom, very clean.
I understood the hotel was nice, but it was actually much more than my expectations.
We tried also the wine bar, nice atmosphere, with wines from everywhere in the world.
Breakfast was very good too.
I would say: book without any doubt!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple