“Wonderful, charming, historic stay!”
Review of Penn's View Hotel

Penn's View Hotel
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I can't rave enough about this hotel. Located in the heart of Penn's Landing, just a block from a wide array of restaurants and bars (Old City), this charming little hotel was worth every penny (and we got it for only $150 during one of Philadelphia's busiest weekends) and more! The staff was friendly and helpful, our room was big with exposed brick (adding to the whole historic Philadelphia feel), and the complimentary wi-fi and breakfast were great. The reviews are true--this place is simply great. There is a paid parking lot next door ($23), which is still a lot less than most hotels in the area charge for parking (most are $39-$45).

There are newer reviews for Penn's View Hotel

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I had a chance to stay at this hotel on my way to our New England road trip. We only stayed there for one night on our way to Cape Cod from Chicago. It was located right in the historic district and was easy to get to Market Street and Penn's Landing which I enjoyed. The one odd thing about the hotel was that it was right off of the express way. However, it does not take away from the charm. They provide you with free continental breakfast in the morning which consists of danishes, fruit, waffles, hard boiled eggs and cereal. Nothing overly fancy, but just perfect in getting you off an running. The front desk was extremely nice and the rooms were historic looking without actually being old. You can tell that the rooms and the bathrooms were recently redone. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I spent our 20 year wedding anniversary in Philly. We needed a close location to see a concert at the River Stage at Penns Landing and this hotel came up first on trip advisor.
The concert venue was directly across the street.

We had more than a fabulous time! The hotel is everything we hoped for. Check in was a breeze (however, parking in the next door lot wasnt as easy and also cost us $46). Hotel lobby was cute and enjoyed the orange iced water.

But the best part of this hotel was our room!!!! To our surprise when we opened the door there was a long staircase up to our room. Our room was gorgeous and the bathroom was fit for a queen. I reserved the king jacuzzi room. Very reasonable priced for what we got. I never expected the room to be so awesome. We had a view of the ben franklin bridge. The room number was 314. I suggest you ask for this room when booking. It was also very romantic.

We ate the restaurant. This is truly a place you must try! We sat in the most romantic seat in the bar area. The manager came over and gave us comp. champagne for our anniversary. The food was outstanding and the wine list unreal. Everyone on staff is friendly and knowledgable.

1  Thank Micheller0405
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We got off to a bad start trying to unload our bags before returning the rental to the airport – there are a few unloading spaces outside the front door but if these are full, and they were, there is no way of unloading legally!

That aside, the hotel is in a great location close to restaurants, buses, subway and Phlash. Reception was friendly helpful and efficient (missing toiletries were replaced in minutes).

Our room (409) was a kingsize with loads of space in both bed and bath areas. However the bed was quite firm (I think the pillow top had long lost its cushioning) while also being quite bouncy. Dressing gowns were a bit thread bare. Good drawer space but limited closet space. Proper tub in the bathroom with Jacuzzi option. I noticed that other rooms had fireplaces, balconies and limited river view but those rooms seemed to be smaller than ours and not as quiet. Loads of hot water but difficulty in getting cold water – I suspect the plumbing may be old with the pipes running close together. AC was an arctic blast when it came on but at least it could be turned off. Fewer TV channels than with say Direct TV.

Breakfasts were quite good with fresh OJ, a large platter of sliced fresh fruit and facility to make fresh waffles or boiled eggs.

Despite the niggles above I would return and I would recommend.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed in this hotel a few times now over the years and they have never failed us. It is so romantic, the rooms are so cute and clean! We have had a fireplace in every room we stayed at. The recent trip, we were in room 509 and even had a deck/patio facing the bridge and Penn's Landing. The down side about the awesome view, 95 traffic is loud. I cannot say enough great things about the staff, they are nice, friendly and are incredibly helpful.

The rooms are always clean, and plenty of space to put your luggage. It has shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and even bubble bath waiting for you.

The free breakfast was okay, nothing great... fruit, yogurt, waffles, boiled eggs and cereal. It helped get our day started and can't complain about it.

The only semi-bad thing I have to report is about the people staying there. My boyfriend and I are around 30 years old, mostly everyone else looked to be 70 or older. We weren't loud at all and was in bed before midnight, but I had the hiccups when we walked in the hotel around 11pm... apparently that brought a few complaints. We hadn't been out to the bars, just a late dinner date. So, that was a little frustrating since we were just trying to have a nice romanitic evening.

Room Tip: Avoid the highway facing rooms, 95 is loud in the mornings.
1  Thank Syrup15
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I have stayed in this Italian themed Colonial Hotel in Philadelphia and have stopped looking anywhere else to stay in the city. The outstanding staff is friendly and helpful, the food is delicious and you cannot say enough about the wines. Great location in Old City and close to attraactions, additional eateries and pubs. When traveling during the colder months, make sure to stay in a room with a cozy fireplace and jacuzzi bath. Can't praise this place enough!
Tom & Mary Redd

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom R
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed three nights -- starting 9/19. Had a river view room..........looking out over Delaware River and bridge. Nice deep jetted tub. Decor very nice. Great coffee available 24/7. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room nice size. Location incredible for visiting historic district. Breakfast good, but not exceptional. Egg cooker was nice touch. Noise machine in room helped, but we didn't find street noise to be too bad. I'm sure the fireworks display over the bridge that we could enjoy right from our bed on our last night was not specially arranged for us, but sure capped off our last night of first trip to Philadelphia! Staff stored our luggage while we continued to sightsee on our last day, which was so nice. Only complaint is that quality of towels was not what I would have expected in this lovely room with a jetted tub and only 3 usable pillows, though 3 that were clearly for decoration. I do not understand shammed pillows with no pillowcase underneath so they can be used if needed! Hard to control heat, but we would still highly recommend Penn's View.