“Will Recommend this Hotel!”

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Will Recommend this Hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed at the Omni for 2 nights for Mother's Day weekend. I am VERY picky when it comes to hotels, and will usually spare no expense for accomodations. This was a last minute trip, and I wanted to be close to the major Philly attractions. I was a bit concerned by a few of the reviews for the Omni, but am happy to say I was very impressed with the Hotel. The lobby is decorated beautifully, and our room was spacious and CLEAN. Our request for a corner room on a high floor was accomodated. The corner room was large, particularly for a city hotel, with fantastic views. Also, we had no problem with noise levels in our room. I recommend that you join the Omni Preferred Guest program online, its free to join, and includes amenities such as free wi-fi in your room, free bottled water delivered to the room shortly after check-in, and complimentary coffee and juice delivered to the room each morning. We used the indoor pool in the afternoon, which was spotless. We used the Valet parking, and although some reviews said it was over-priced--- $32 a day-- we found it to be well worth the cost. It allowed us full in/out privileges, and our car was always waiting for us, even at the busiest times at the hotel. The hotel location was fantastic---literally steps from the Historic attractions, and a short drive to South Street, south Philly cheesesteak spots, Reading Terminal Market and the Philadelphia museum. We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but I recommend Mrs. K's Koffee Shop just a few doors down. It is an old-fashioned counter-service coffee shop, with great coffee and great breakfast..

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank JSR119

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

We had a wonderful stay! The room was beautiful and very clean. We were on the third floor and had no bad odors or anything like that. We felt very safe there and the location was great for walking around to see tons of historic sites. My children were treated very well! The complimentary milk and cookies delivered to our room was so neat for them! They were so excited! My husband and I used room service later in the evening and it was delivered quickly and the food was delicious. The staff was very polite and helpful. They were more than happy to help us out with finding kid friendly restaurants in the area. We were very pleased with our stay and will definitely be staying there again! I also recommend grabbing breakfast or a sweet treat and a latte from Double Shots, a little coffee shop, right down the street! Very yummy and close to the hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank beanmomma
Skiatook, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2010

The room smelled of cheap cigars,I had to Febreeze the room just to sleep due to the stench.Now the Hotel has refused to give back my $250 refund,stating that I caused the smell by smoking,I have severe asthma and don't smoke.When I called to dispute the charge,I was called a liar by the staff & transferred to an answering machine! I'm escalating this issue.The bed was as hard as the floor and the pillows are worse! The sheets and blankets also smelled Stael. My back hurt for over a week after my stay. I had a 5 day stay,the housekeeping came ONCE! The elevators wouldn't access the pool/hot tub floor,when I asked why, nobody seemed to care. I never got to see the pool let alone take a swim! Oh yes,and lets not forget the banging on the wall from the room next to ours or the gun shots outside.This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. STINKY, RUDE, LOUD etc.. I tried to get a room at a different hotel after arriving,but it was full. :( Needless to say there was nothing relaxing about my stay.

3 Thank Raye_Raye27
omnihotel, Manager at The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
We thank the many users of Trip Advisor who utilize this extremely valuable medium as it was designed for fair and rational reviews of hotels for the benefit of other users. The Omni Hotel at Independence Park continues to strive day in and day out to provide a superior guest experience in a newly renovated hotel in the finest and safest part of Philadelphia. We will continue to provide the level of service and product that earned the Omni accolades as the Best Business Hotel in Philadelphia, One of the top 500 Hotels and Resorts in the World and the distinction of one of the Cleanest Hotels in Philadelphia. I thank each of you for taking the time to explore your options when visiting Philadelphia and would urge any of you with concerns that may have been erroneously created to personally contact me to discuss them.
General Manger
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2010

A really sweet hotel, nice design and decorations, big and clean rooms, and the staff was awesome, really polite and nice, and although we stayed for only 2 nights, they gave us a great welcome feeling.
the location is also great, like 30 seconds from the libery bell and other major attractions.

if I will ever need to stay in philly again, I will definitely mark this hotel as a leading option.

1 Thank potatoburekas
Wilmington, Delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2010

As a buisness owner I have to say I am more than angry with the way this staff treated it's guests. I attended a wedding event here for a college and watched as the staff became increasingly rude to the guests and the vendors servicing my friends wedding. The site coordinator who I believe her name started with a T, was rude and snotty and angry it seemed for no reason, storming in and out of rooms bad mouthing the photographers who were good friends with the bride and were treated like garbage. A candle caught fire to some ribbon and almost burned up the wall. The coordinator was no where to be found when she was needed most then at some point never even came back. I'm glad I didn't stay at the Omni and I would never return to this or any Omni as my experience has marred the name for me completely.

3 Thank DeanWinchester12
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2010

A little background: I have over 7000 posts on Trip Advisor, mostly on the Las Vegas forum. But this is the first time I've felt compelled to post a hotel review. We stay at many hotels, always for pleasure. Everything from Holiday Inn Express to Four Seasons or Ritz-Carltons. Our next trip will be Las Vegas next month and we are booked to stay at Orleans (economy hotel) and Four Seasons. We consider value to be extremely important in hotel choice, moreso than just price.
We just returned from 2 seperate 2 night stays at this hotel, and it was our first visit to this hotel. Both reservations were made through booking.com and if we were treated different from those who reserved direct we could not tell, certainly not in room assignment.
For our 1st reservation we used online checkin before taking our flight that morning. When we arrived at the hotel around 9:30pm our room was waiting and all paperwork was ready, nothing even to sign. This was a godsend after an 8 hour flight. I strongly recommend taking advantage of this. We were given room 1206. I was very impressed with the room design. It is only 375 sq ft, but seems much larger due to design. The view was of Indpendence Hall Park directly across the street. Our room was 2 doors down from the elevator, and I was concerned about noise but it was not an issue. And being a small hotel none of the rooms are far from the elevator.
The first night we had dinner in the lounge as the restaurant had already closed. Lobster Bisque, Caesars Salad, Crab Cake, and Sliders. With 2 Iced Teas $78. Maybe a little expensive, but not out of line for a quality hotel. We did not dine in the hotel restaurant at all. But we did have room service (sandwiches) one night and were pleased with both food and service.
As members of the Omni preferred guest program (make sure you join) we had coffee and water delivered to our room each morning and usually added a bagel or muffin for breakfast. Requested the night before for 8am delivery and it was always there on time, and always warm.
We then left for 3 nights to attend a wedding. The hotel stored a couple of our bags, which was greatly appreciated. The desk clerk asked if we desired the same room on return and I requested one a little further down the hall.
Upon return our room was again ready and no checkin was required. We were given room 1002. A corner room which was much larger. It also had four seperate sets of windows giving us different views. My wife enjoyed this very much. The AC in this room didn't work, but a call brought an engineer in 5 minutes with an extra fuse and it was taken care of.
We were very impressed with the staff at Omni, from the desk clerks, bellmen, housekeeping, even to the doorman we felt well cared for and appreciated. The combination of service, room, ameneties, and price make Omni an outstanding value.

1 Thank ktinca
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

Stayed at this hotel when conducting site visits for an upcoming event.

I only stayed for one night. The room I had was a corner and very spacious. The bathroom was a bit dated. With the coffee maker, the counterspace was really limited. But overall, the room was clean and quiet. And the bed was really comfortable!

The only drawback was that I was a little surprised however at the level of money invested in the "spa" area, when the rest of the hotel looked like it could use some modernization.

I did not eat in the dining room, but looked at the menu and it was astronomically priced. The good news is that there were quite a few mid-range dining options available, as well. (Try the Belgium bar two blocks away - they are known for their mussels, which were delicious). The historical aspect of the neighborhood was also a bonus! I walked about a 4-5 block radius around the hotel at night and felt very safe.

The staff were very accommodating as well. I was actually very sick while visiting, so they sent up some free hot tea. Also I requested and received 2 wakeup calls which were on time. I also asked for a cab, which was ready and waiting for me when I checked out.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business