“4 Stars? NO WAY!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“4 Stars? NO WAY!”
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I stayed at the Omni 2/24-2/26. Staff was curteous, but not overly accommodating.

The rooms were very average; decor, beds & linens were old, thin & in need of improvement.

On Saturday 2-25, we left the hotel at 9:30 & returned at 5:00 to an UNCLEAN room. I called the front desk, & they advised housekeeping was there until 6 & they would send them at once. At that time, there were 3 girls trying to rest, shower & get ready to go out to dinner - NOT A GOOD TIME FOR HOUSEKEEPING! I just asked for towels, kleenex & a lightbulb to be changed that had burned out in the bathroom. I was extra annoyed to discover that my brother's room, which was 2 doors down from mine, had been cleaned (he was w/us & returned to his room at the same time.)

The concierge called & offered us a bottle of wine, but we passed. We were just over it.

The location was OK, but the areas in Philly you want to explore are all pretty close to each other, so earlier posts which stated the location can't be beat - I just don't agree. The location alone is not enough to sell me on this property again - not for the price & substandard rooms & service.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
fairfield, ct
Reviewed March 2, 2006

We stayed at the Omni Hotel from 2/25 to 2/7. I will admit that the bell staff and valet were a 10 out of 10, but two of the front desk employees were unbelievably rude. Upon check in we were told that the pool was under construction and we should have known that if we checked their website. We were told we could use another hotel's pool which was 3 blocks away. My husband commented that they was little far to go for a swim with kids. The male employee responded very snottily "well, it's not far for me, but I am used to walking". Keep in mind it was February in Philly - not exactly beach weather. They also (at first) refused to honor a package in which we were to get free parking. They eventually agreed to give us free parking, but they charged us anyway. Although the manager was present and consulted, he never ventured out of his office. After returning home, I checked the website and it did say that the pool was under construction. If you already read that they had a pool, you would not necessarily look for the blurb about it being under construction. The website also said that children were to receive upon checkin suitcase filled with toys. My children did not receive anything. The rudeness of the two front desk employess sadly overshadowed the politeness and professionlism of everyone else at the hotel. Everything else about the hotel (location, decor, etc) was lovely.

9 Thank dwdsedmom
Bronx
Reviewed February 9, 2006

I had a terrific experience with this hotel. What I want to say most in this review is that the hotel is very child-friendly. I have a six year old and a two year old. The girls were each given an activity bag at the front desk at check in and the hotel sent up complimentary milk and cookies later that evening. Also, kids eat free in the restaurant. Our standard room held all four of us very easily- we had a Queen bed, pull out sofa and lots of sq footage. We had stayed a couple of times at the Parker House in Boston (another Omni property) and liked it so much, we signed up for the "select guest" program. This is a free loyalty program, and immediately upon signing up we were given two really good discount coupons- one half price, and one free upgrade. We used the half price coupon for our room at the Phila Omni- it cost us $80 for the night as opposed to $160. The fitness center was under renovation while we were there, but they still had a fine workout room with an elliptical and a couple of treadmills. The new fitness center opening this Spring looks like it'll be pretty elaborate. Hotel staff were very responsive, professional and helpful. The room was nice- good view of Independence mall, and again very large, there was a nice bathroom and good room amenities. We would definitely stay here again.

9 Thank BronxLady
Washington, DC Area
Reviewed January 14, 2006

Stayed here for one night. It's a standard four star establishment. All the reviews are right about being in a great location, especially if you want to see the historic district. I had a king room and it was a corner room--quite spacious. The bed was comfortable and the inroom snack bar was well-stacked (albeit quite pricey--$2 for snickers!). The cable tv was limited and the tv itself was situated in a somewhat odd place. Since I arrived late in the evening, I ordered room service. I was not at all impressed with the sandwhich I ordered, but the dessert was great. The service given by the hotel staff was mediocre--staff seemed distracted when I talked to them, not very attentive. But other than that, the place was fine.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank Roadtravlr
Philadelphia
Reviewed December 17, 2005

The location and public areas of this hotel can hardly be beaten, especially if one is in town to see the historical sites. Our room, however, was somewhat of a disappointment, given its four-star rating: no room service menu/property book, bathroom sink stopper not working, hot water faucet leaking, bathroom facilities and electrical outlets in need of upgrade. This was a smoking room, which are often the last upgraded in any hotel, so these findings were neither a surprise, nor did they ruin the trip. But since all rooms of a given class are the same price, it's expected that all will meet certain standards. This one didn't. I'd stay there again, but never at the rack rate.

• Stayed December 2005