“Great location, had some room issues, but they made it right”

The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Florida, Florida
“Great location, had some room issues, but they made it right”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is in a prime location, quite literally less than a block from Independence Hall. The bellman was very nice and helpful in orienting us to what was right around the hotel. Our room was not available for early check-in but we were able to leave our baggage with the bellman and the front desk took our cell numbers to call us as soon as our room was available.our room was very nice, well appointed and clean. Our toilet flooded the bathroom. The hotel staff was quick to respond to fix the toilet, clean the bathroom, and replace all of the towels we used to absorb the water. Later, the AC stopped working. We again called for assistance. It took a little longer for staff to respond and we were told the AC had frozen up. The maintenance man put the heat on and left the room saying he would be back in a few minutes after the AC had defrosted. He was gone for well over a half an hour, with the heat on in July, so it was not a fun time. We called the desk and he finally returned. After that the AC worked well. They offer free milk and cookies for kids at night which made my daughter very happy and honestly, left my wife and I a little jealous. So nice that they offer that little perk for the kids.

I believe that this was just a comedy of errors and is not truly indicative of the standard stay at this hotel, but my wife and I were disappointed at checkout the next morning when we went to the desk and explained all that had happened the night before. The man at the desk seemed disinterested and dismissive, and gave only a half-hearted, at best, apology for all of the issues we had. To their credit, we received an email from the director of the front office later that day. He had been told of our issues and was very apologetic. He arranged for a future free night's stay for us at a Wyndham hotel of our choice, which we greatly appreciated.

All-in-all I would recommend this hotel as it was very nice and the staff, other than the one man at the front desk, were very nice and accommodating. The location cannot be beat.

Room Tip: Do not pay for valet. The parking garage is behind the hotel, a simple walk around the corner, and i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Austin, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The Omni Independence Hall in Philadelphia struggles to compete with other high end hotels. The rooms are antiquated and poorly maintained. We were over billed for services and the fire alarm went off several times in the middle of the night. The front desk staff was indifferent and took several additional phone calls to rectify our billing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wonderful, especially when our dinner plans collapsed and we forty all ate in the hotel restaurant on rather short notice. Very convenient to Independence Park, good restaurants. Room had excellent view. We were able to gather in the big sitting room off the lobby with refreshments at key times.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was there for business for 1 day and it was very convenient as I could walk to all the federal buildings. Very good restaurants near by including Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant.
I did not eat at the hotel but everything else was very nice. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star was that my rooms AC was making noises in the night and as a light sleeper, it wasn't the best night. I let the front desk know and they were empathetic and apologized. I also forgot my phone charger and the front desk person lend me his own personal one. This is beyond what is expected. thank you

Room Tip: check the ac unit right away. change your room if it makes noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, United States
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel was very nice in every way, and the location was perfect. Right next door to the Liberty Bell and Liberty Hall - walking distance to many major sites. Staff was great. Room was great. Definitely a repeat visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Taylors, south Carolina, USA
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was really impressed by this hotel. Everything was 1st class and the staff was amazing. The restaurant was great and the bar was so relaxing and very well stocked. Want for nothing. Front desk was very helpful providing any information we needed about the area, tours of the city and gift shops.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Philadelphia, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I made reservations for 3 rooms months before my daughter's wedding. I confirmed the reservations 1 week before, however 2 days before I got an e-mail stating the rooms had been changed. Very bad service when I tried to get the rooms back. It took 5 phone calls and my getting angry before anyone would help. Not what I wanted to be dealing with 2 days before my daughter's wedding.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family