The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Louis
“Don't”
Reviewed October 1, 2007

Extreme priced restaurant with below average food. Decor is generic and dated. Poor service.

• Liked — Location is good
  • Disliked — No business services
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Matt59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
West Hollywood, CA
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I used to live in Philadelphia, and I stayed in this hotel on a visit to the city for business. The hotel is in an excellent location for touring the historical district, South Street and Chinatown. If you need to go to the business district west of Broad Street and the Academy of Music, some hotels may require you to walk less far, but this would still be a good hotel for those destinations as well.

The room was clean and staff were polite. My only complaint was that the air conditioner was loud, but it didn't keep me up at night.

This hotel's location and services make it a good choice for a visit to Philadelphia.

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank csh90069
Reviewed September 25, 2007

Having read the other reviews - I was looking forward to staying at this hotel. But please beware - this place is in need of a good clean as a start point and ideally - a complete refurbishment.

My bedroom was tired to say the least - the bathroom was nicely equipped but the bedroom was awful.

The public areas are frankly awful. The dining room is a collective of broken worn out chairs and the carpet was filthy. At 12.00pm there were still dishes left over from breakfast - just no need for this lack of basic skills.

The rest of the hotel is grubby and tired - it really lets down the omni brand name and it has put me off staying at any of thier hotels again. You have been warned

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank areviewer
Virginia
Reviewed September 14, 2007

I am an obsessive planner for vacations and was hoping for the best from the Omni. It ws everything I wanted and more.
Our family of four enjoyed a wonderful three night stay at the Philadelphia Omni August 21-24. The hotel staff spoiled my kids rotten!. Everyone who works there is very nice and bends over backward to make your stay wonderful.
Arrival was kind of a whirlwind , but a friendly one. Bell services grabbed our luggage while the valet took the car (did not need it at all during our stay). I checked in while my husband was sure everything we needed was out of the van. The front desk had our check in already prepared and off to side along with gift bags for each of my boys (ages 9 and 12). As I gathered everything, the concierge greeted me and asked if I needed any help. She was really nice but I was trying to get my kids together, tell my husband and bell services our room number, etc and it got a bit overwhelming. What a relief to get to our room. The fellow handling our luggage was very nice and gave us information. We stayed in a 2 double bed room with a great view of the park. The room was quite spacious. I went back and forth when planning trying to decide if we should get two connecting rooms. I thought we might need more space and the beds not being queen size would be a tight fit for our family. No, it was fine.
Definitely sign up for the select guest program. Others have mentioned the great morning beverage service. We always ordered coffee and juice. Each day we were given plenty of coffee and 4 glasses of juice. I called the hotel directly the day of our check in to ask if we could get a room with a nice view if available. I was told that select guest program members have the best rooms chosen for them by hotel staff, but if I was unhappy with it I could be moved. It was an awesome room. I am not sure why but it was a wonderful surprise that waiting in our room was a beautiful and plentiful cheese, fruit and cracker tray. (no charge and never requested). I doubt it is a regular perk, but maybe had something to do with the day we checked in, reserving through the hotel itself, or just plain dumb luck. Our boys were thrilled with the toys and trinkets in the gift bags, plus there were two additional bags left with the fruit tray. Another special touch was personalized note paper on the desk.
At check in I was told to call between certain hours in the evening and milk and cookies would be delivered to my children! (Not sure why we received this either, I think it may have been an Am Ex promo). My kids LOVED gettng ice cold milk and two delicious cookies each before bed (ex. sugar cookies, chocolate chip macademia nut, but they chaged each night).
The room was very clean. No problem with the furnishings or linens. Very comfy.
We were on the 8th floor and turn down service was a bit early for us, around 6 pm. We only asked our ice bucket be filled, but housekeeping also always left a handful of chocolates.
The location for the hotel is amazing. You are right in the middle of things.
The pool is so-so. It's a lap pool. It really isn't intended for family frolicking. But, we went one evening and the kids splashed around a bit. The hot tub was unbelievably and in my opinion dangerously hot. I really could not believe it. I wanted to try the spa services but didn't have time with so much sightseeing. It smells so good there, though. I picked up a service and price list. The costs aren't outrageous.
The restaurant: Azaleas. This was the major disappointment. We had dinner our first night there. There was hardly anyone there--that should have been a clue to leave. We were taken to a wobbly table with a dirty tablecloth. Our hostess was also our server. (I also noticed she was bussing the tables, as well. I wondered if she was also doing the cooking). We waited a long time to be served. The food was terrible. Not just bad, but inedible. The hotel had been so nice to us that we didn't want to make a fuss and said nothing but left our flatware crossed on our plates of uneaten food (sure glad we had that cheese and fruit earlier). The food was overdone and over seasoned. I had chicken that was far more rubbery tnan any I have ever had. 3 adult and one child's entree was about $125 with the tip. We wouldn't have minded the cost if it was remotely decent. However, breakfast was a different story. Our package covered breakfast, room and parking. We were given 2 tickets for breakfasts each morning we were there at check in. It was well staffed, the food was a little slow coming out, but fine typical breakfast fare. There was a nice employee who went around each table to answer questions anyone may have about touring the city and general conversation if desired. He was really good with the kids, too. Although, we presented only two tickets for our party of four planning to pay for two meals, each morning they told us to not worry about it. We tipped them generously.
Our stay was fantastic and I would definitely choose this hotel if ever visiting again.
One final word of caution. Check your bill. After our crazy, fast check in I noticed that our room rate was incorrect. Luckily, I printed the confirmation and had it with me. I snagged a deal for $255 a night, but they were charging $315. The front desk was very nice to correct the rate right away. The morning of check out I looked at our bill that was left at our room. We were charged extra for parking. I called and said it should have been inclduded. They again corrected the error without any problem. But, I'm really glad I looked carefully at the bill.
If you are obsessing over whether the Omni will provide you with a great hotel stay, relax and go ahead with the booking. It exceeded my expectations.

• Liked — Detailed service by friendly staff
  • Disliked — On-site evening dining
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank WendyisDarling
Newton, MA
Reviewed August 28, 2007

On several occasions I have traveled to Philadelphia for work and this was by far my best experience in the city. The Hotel was beautiful and clean. I had an exceptional view from my room of Independence Park. The customer services was excellent. To top everything off I entered the Hotel's free raffle to win an iPhone. Two days later I received a call from the Hotel's manager informing me that I won the iPhone! Needless to say, I highly recommend staying at the Omni Hotel in Philadelphia:-)

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank jmariaduncan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Personally, this was my favourite hotel during our trip to the US. Located right on Independece Park (as the name suggests) in the historic part of Philadelphia, the staff and ambience of the hotel was fantastic from the moment we arrived.

The rooms were huge and beautifully appointed with antique touches but without the run-down feel of many hotels which try the same approach.

The staff were great; the front desk, the porters, restaurant staff and doorman. They were very helpful with directions and suggestions.

Breakfast was also great (it was included in our rate so we ate at the hotel for a change).

Loved the place.

Stayed July 2007
11 Thank SandDragon
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2007

This hotel is a real find in a central visitors' area of Philadelphia. From the moment you enter the immaculate, flower-filled lobby, you are in well-maintained, elegant surroundings. The staff is professional and attentive without being obsequious. Our king-bedded room was attractively furnished and a good size and we had a lovely view. The bathroom was large and well-appointed. We had a good brunch in the hotel's pretty restaurant, Azalea. There is a nice indoor lap pool and an Aveda spa. We booked the Moonlight and Mimosa package which, at $299 plus tax, was an excellent value that included a king room, valet parking and brunch for two. We will definitely return for another pleasant stay.

• Liked — Attractiveness of the surroundings
  • Disliked — Noise in the hallways
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple