“Beautiful Unique Decor, exceptionally Friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Beautiful Unique Decor, exceptionally Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

I've never seen a hotel designed like this one, very contemporary but upscale decor. The building used to house a bank headquarters and there are still some aspecs of the bank on display- very cool. There are also Cartier clocks on display- an employee told me that they were designed by Cartier himself when the building was built in the 20s-30s. The most impressive thing though was how friendly the staff was- this is truly astounding. EVERY single employee i passed stopped to say hi and asked if I needed anything.
the rooms are quality, not amazing, but nice and the beds are very comfortable. There was not one problem with the experience for a 2 day stay. Very recommendable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (948)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

A friend and I did a road trip through PA and made time to stay in Philly for just one night. I was able to get a GREAT rate at the Loews and we loved it, but wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy it more. It's a GREAT location! Right across the street from the Reading Market which is awesome! Get the Amish pretzels and lemonade...to die for! It's a good walk down to South St. where a lot of the nightlife is, but you walk right past the liberty bell and other sights, some cute old neighborhoods too! Hotel is very modern, the bar was happening, room was pretty spacious, big bathroom, very clean, good view of city, and amaxingly comfortable beds! I was a bit surprised that the employees didn't have more reccommendations of the city though...especially local stuff. Take the Night Bus Tour though...entertaining and educational!
The one negative was the "business center"...which tried to charge $10 for 3 minuted of internet...and printing fees!! Not worth it!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel is in a great location in Center City - easy walk to Reading Terminal Market, the Constitution Center and Independence Hall, City Hall, and great shopping, restaurants, and bars. Our room was very clean and nice.

Pets are welcome at the hotel and even get their own room service menu!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Loma Linda, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

I stayed in this place for a conference from November 1-7. The ambience of the building was consistent with a hotel that charges a high end room rate such as this one, but the service most certainly was not. On the plus side, the Art Deco fittings are charming, the bedrooms are comfortable, the air conditioning worked and my bathroom was clean and functional. The conference facilities also worked well and without any major glitches, including some quite demanding a/v requirements. The location is also very central, within walking distance of most of the tourist sites. That having been said, while the blocks around the hotel didn't strike me as dangerous, you are likely to be accosted by beggars if you go exploring on foot, especially in the evenings. The bar/restaurant charged top end prices, but the food was good. It gets very noisy in the evenings, though, complete with live music and DJs. If you want somewhere quiet to eat and discuss the day's work, you'll want to go somewhere else.

The root of the problem can be summed up in one word: elevators. For starters, you have to wait a very long time for them. After around day three I actually started timing it: from the lobby to your room on a floor in the top half of the building, 3-4 minutes is doing well, 6-7 is the norm and 10 is not unheard of. The waits were very long, and when the elevator did arrived it invariably stopped at most of the intermediate floors between the ground and my room. Things got to the point whereby at around day three, I was packing everything I needed into a bag for the day, to avoid having to move backwards and forwards between my room and the conference floors. If you're willing to put up with that, you might as well stay at an out-of-town business inn on a subway line at around half the price: it totally defeats the object of staying in the same building as the conference. Then there was the fact that my room opened out almost directly onto the elevator lobby, and thus was very noisy at hotel rush hours, e.g. breakfast time and late evenings. If you have to stay in this hotel, I would suggest asking for a room on as low a floor as possible (so that you have the option of using the stairs) and as far away from the elevator lobby as possible. If you have a choice in the matter, stay somewhere else.

But the real showstopper came on my final evening there. They were holding some sort of a dog show in one of the ballrooms, and the whole place was teeming with canines. So I called the elevator to take me down from my room to the lobby to meet some colleagues for dinner, and what did I see as the doors slid open? A huge, steaming pile of dog poo! I tried to notify someone at the front desk when I got to the bottom, but the queue was so long and there were so few staff around that I eventually gave up.

I was also very unimpressed at having to pay $10.95 a day for Internet access and $36 a day for parking. I've stayed in hotels charging a third of the price that include wifi in the room rate, and hotels in similar downtown locations that charge no more than $10-15 a day for guest parking. I'd also second others' comments about the thin walls. My next door neighbour was another conference delegate, and we could both hear each others' phone calls.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bedbugged
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

We entered our room to find that is was smoking room even though we requested a non-smoking room. All it took was a call to the front desk and within 5 minutes the manager (Marcus) was apologizing and searching for a new room for us. He found one that was not immediately available and while we agreed to wait an hour he offered us complimentary breakfast for the inconvenience. The room we ended up in was large, clean and well appointed. Every single employee in the hotel was courteous, respectful and attentive. We travel frequently and I never write reviews but i was so pleasantly surprised by the service that I felt it was necessary in this case.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
New England, Novi Anglia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

I stayed here on business. Check-in was fast and friendly. The room was clean and spacious for a big-city hotel room. Bathroom was modern and had decent quality toiletries. Room was quiet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

I recently visited family in Philadelphia, and we decided to stay at the Loews Hotel because of the reviews that i read and of the location that it is in. We wanted to stay near the Reading House and in walking distance of museums. We asked the Concierge for directions to several places and they where very helpful, they even suggested several restaurants that we might want to try incase we got hungry while out and about.

Upon arriving around 4pm we drove our car to the hotel valet and they where very friendly we had no problem at all. Once we entered the hotel we could feel that it was a welcoming hotel. We approched the front desk for checkin and of course our rooms where done and ready for us to go up and take our baggage, everyone there was very courteous and friendly, we even got a tour of the hotel that empressed us right away as we travel a lot and have never gotten a tour of a hotel so this was another plus. Also upon checking in they had lemon aid and ice water to the lobby area, the lemon aid as delicious, and again we never saw this an any hotel that we have been to, we have stayed in many 5***** hotels but none with refreshments upon checking in, another plus for us. After a long day of going around and sight seeing this was great to come back to and see lemon aid and water in the lobby and it was free.

The weather was not good in the evening so we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, prices where good and and the food was awsome, good amount of food for the price. We ate at the resturant for the 2 evenings that we where there.
We where asked each night that we stayed there (2) if we wanted turn down service we said no but upon returning to our rooms during the late afternoon around 4pm or so we would of course have 2 bottles of water and fresh towels, my daughter who had her own room and she was the only one in her room also received 2 bottles of water she was happy about that she never had to ask for any water to be brought up to her room.

I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple