“Superb hotel, great location”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I chose the Loews as an alternative to staying at the Marriott across the street, where my conference was taking place. For the same rate, the setting was more modern and upscale, the rooms are bigger, and the views (from my room at least) were fantastic. I booked a promotional rate that included a corner room (luxury king) plus a food & beverage credit. At 320 square feet, the room felt just the right size for one person. Large paneled windows on two walls provided great views of the city from the 29th floor.

Service throughout my five day stay was efficient and friendly, and I encountered no problems. Ordered room service twice; the food quality was good and delivery was as promised. I ate one meal in the restaurant which was also quite good. Bartenders were very friendly and helpful.

The room was clean and furnished in modern style. There was a small refrigerator for guest use (not stocked, presumably was formerly a minibar). Bathroom was nothing out of the ordinary, well lit but on the small side. Internet access is wireless only but there was an access point right in the room so signal strength was not a problem. I did have repeated trouble connecting but unsure if this was a problem with my equipment or theirs. Internet is $11/day or free for blue-level YouFirst members.

The health club/fitness center is on the 5th floor with free access to guests. It's very large and well equipped; there are also large locker rooms with both sauna and steam rooms inside for you to use. There is also a narrow lap pool, but no hot tub.

Valet parking is available on site, presumably at a the high rates standard for downtown hotels. The Septa 11th street subway station entrance is across the street and the R1 train to the airport has a station one block away at the Gallery Market Place. Other parking is available in multiple garages within a 3-4 block radius for half the price.

Minor quibbles: the tv is old-style tube and fixed in the cabinet, viewing angles are limited to the bed and chair. The clothes closet is small. The toilet paper dispenser in the bathroom is awkwardly placed and hard to reach. A special-menu pizza marketed on a card in the room was no longer available when I tried to order one (really, how hard is it to pull these cards out of the rooms when the items go off-menu?)

fyi, this hotel accepts pets so if that is a problem for you request a non- pet room in advance. You may also encounter pets on the elevator.

In short, this hotel provides a great urban location with an upscale and hip atmosphere. Not quite as pretentious as a W hotel, but with the same sort of vibe.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Loews Philadelphia Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2010

We stayed at Loews for 4 nights with our 4 and 6 year old. Overall the stay was fine, but I have a few complaints and suggestions. Check in was mediocre. I did not care for the man who checked us in. The room was adequate. We had a rollaway in addition to 2 double beds and it was a bit crowded, but fine. I did not have any problems with the cleanliness of the room. As the previous reviewer stated, the pool sprung a leak just prior to our arrival, however this was not mentioned to us at check-in. Every day we would ask about when the pool would be open and we got different answers constantly. There was no communication among the staff as to this issue. The pool did not open for the remainder of our stay (however we were told at least twice that it would open "tomorrow". To a 4 and 6 year old this was torture! Obviously, the closing of the pool was not their fault and I was not mad about that, however the communication could have been better. When I went down to the front desk to ask for the kids toys that they were supposed to get at check in but did not, the nice man told us to get a movie for the kids in the room and he would take it off the bill. Other than that, we were not offered any compensation.
On a positive note, we were on a concierge floor and I would highly recommend that. It included breakfast and internet access (which I was not told until I asked about it.) The cost was definitely worthwhile, especially for a family of 4. We had a concierge just for our floor. 2 of the mornings, we had Jonathan, who was the most wonderful thing about our stay. He was extraordinary to us and the kids. He even sent presents to our room!
After receiving my bill on the morning of check out, there were charges for internet and of course for the movie they told us they would comp. They took everything right off when I went down to the front desk, but I found this annoying.
Overall, the stay was better than I may be making it out to be. Loews has a lot of potential, but they have some fine tuning to do. I am being nit-picky. If they want to advertise themselves as a luxury hotel, they need to act like it. The location was excellent! (By the way, we had the Philly fun package, which included parking so I cannot complain about that.)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank julpat
Reviewed May 23, 2010

The hotel is tired and needs an update. We checked into a room which had not been cleaned properly--dust, fingerprints, and stains everywhere. Headboards dirty. Fingerprints and smudges on doors and switch plates and fixtures. Hallway to room was not vacuumed and room service trays had not been picked up; I counted 4. The phone in our room did not work. The bellman and front desk also did not bother to tell us the pool had been drained the previous Monday and was out of service. In fact, when the bellman escorted us to our room, I asked what floor the pool was on and he answered, without mentioning the issue! Needless to say, our kids were very disappointed, as they went down to go swimming as soon as we were settled in our room.

We did complain, and the front desk was accommodating. They did switch our room, offer us complimentary breakfast during our stay, and gave us a discount on our stay. The new room was cleaner. The beds were comfortable. The staff at the hotel is friendly. When we returned to our room Saturday night, there was vomit in the hallway. I called and I assumed they cleaned it up immediately.

I travel a great deal and have stayed at some wonderful hotels. I have also stayed at budget hotels, but they were always clean and simply designed. I have had better experiences at other Loews Hotel, and expected more from this location.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SJDS15
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I was here for business, so I am not sure about the cost of the hotel. Other items, like a soda I purchased in the gift shop was kind of high ($3.00 for a 20 ounce). All in all, it was a pleasant stay. Clean rooms, nice bathroom, etc. Didn't really get out much as most of my time was spent for work in the hotel. However, on the way back to the airport we went by Independence Hall, etc - which were reasonably close.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2010

My husband and I booked a weekend at the Loews for a romantic getaway without the kids. It was a great location and our room, a Luxury King, was also nice. We spent Saturday walking around the city, using the fitness center, stopping by our room a few times during the day. Each time we noticed that housekeeping hadn't made it to our room to make the bed and refresh the towels. I attempted 3 times to alert the front desk (3:00 pm, 7:00 pm, and 11:00 pm). The first 2 times, the front desk assured us that housekeeping would be right up to make our bed. At 11:00 pm, it was too late, as all the housekeeping staff had gone. Needless to say, we had to make our own bed and use whatever towels were left. I have never had this happen at any hotel, and would have never expected this from a luxury hotel. I didn't ask for much at all, and they still couldn't deliver. I should have stayed at the Marriott, which is right across the street.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anonymous9991
Reviewed April 22, 2010

To make a long story short we needed a hotel in Philadelphia for one night after a stressful family visit. We went to priceline.com and my offer of $110.00 was accepted. Not bad for a 4 star hotel. Upon check in I had jokingly explained to Lauren ,our front desk receptionist what we had just been through with the family. She smiled and laughed and before we knew it she had given us a room on the 26th floor with the most spectacular sunset view of City Hall and the Philadelphia skyline. We could see all the way up to The Art Museum. Loews is VERY centrally located and within walking distance to everything. The room was spotless. Some scuff marks on the furnishing's but nothing that would prevent me from returning on another visit. Beds were very comfortable and lines felt new. Thank you Lauren !!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maptreker
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Stayed for three nights for a conference. The room and views were good. Carpet stains and stains on the bed ruffle. Everything else was clean. Housekeeping was great the first night, after the second the room was not done until after 2:30. But done quickly, no vacuuming, coffee was not refilled and didn't get our cookie for the birthday cake. Stay here, and you will know what I am talking about, cute idea though.

Room service was great, food was good, staff was very friendly. I love those little condiment jars. Valet was also friendly, and each time asked if we needed directions. All staff in the hotel made it a point to look at you and say hello, that makes a difference.

As usual, for this price I would always like to have internet included, especially being connected with a conference at the convention center. I was here on business but had to pay quite a bit for internet. Free internet on two floors, but inconvenient when doing business. Also, would like to have seen parking included. But hey, guess it makes up for the business rate.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business