“LOVE IT IT - Loews = Value, Excellent Service, Sleep & Food”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“LOVE IT IT - Loews = Value, Excellent Service, Sleep & Food”
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We stayed here over the rainy weekend for a last minute relaxation getaway and were very pleasantly surprised. We limited our expectations after reading many of the reviews here. While there are many things we disagree with, we do agree that it is not worth $300/night or more. We stayed for a total of $100 (taxes & fees included) after placing a bid on Priceline.com

Pros:

Valet & Front Desk Staff - very courteous and promptly greeted us upon arrival. We saw gift bags behind the desk for a wedding and they had many guests checking in at the same time as us (Saturday afternoon). Although we arrived before check-in, we were able to go straight to our room (Queen bed on 24th floor).

Art Deco Decor - while some reviews mention it feeling "cold", we loved the art deco decor and how they opted to keep most of the original architechtural details. It added to the hotel's charm/uniquness in our opinion.

Room - overall very clean & cozy. Yes there were reminants of an OLD spill under the glass top covering the desk, but we figured housekeeping only focused on what was on top for the top suface etc for the sake of timely turning the room over for the next guest or just didn't see it b/c the desk's actual surface is black. Anyway...the sheets were VERY soft and of a very good quality. The room temperature was PERFECT - usually you find the room too cold or too hot when you enter it but we never had to touch the thermostat in the room or the bathroom.

Bed - absolutely AMAZING! We had the best sleep ever and ended up just staying in most of the day because we couldn't get out of it because it was so comfortable. All bed linens were IMMACULATE!! Very impressive given everything is crisp white, including the comforter/duvet and throw.

Bathroom - we had a huge bathroom that had it's own thermostat (very necessary given the three large windows that are in the bathroom). It was beautifully done in the art deco style and also VERY CLEAN. No stains or dingy looking towels or washcloths.

Room Service - as seen in other reviews, the prices were surprisingly reasonable given the hotel's location etc... We ordered both lunch and dinner and each time our food arrived before the estimated delivery time we were given at the time of order. Equally surprising was the quality of the food - EXCELLENT. We had everything from the cheese steak to mac & cheese to the seabass, cheesecake (asked for caramel drizzle on it), chocolate shake & milkshake. The hot food items arrived piping hot.

Housekeeping - very responsive and promptly brought up the additional towels and wash cloths we requested.

Cons:

NOISE - while you really can not hear your neighbor, you CAN hear everything going on in the hallway and doors seem to slam shut a lot (fairly typical for most hotels). Also, someone diagonally down the hall from us had a very upset Flower Girl on their hands so we could hear her screams and cries a lot. Lastly, you can hear the drains going nonstop from the bathroom. We fixed this by closing the bathroom door.

However, we did NOT hear a lot of city noise or feel a draft from the windows - Very nice!

TV service - apparently they have satellite tv. Since we were there during very bad rain storms there were several channels that had "No Signal". We tried watching a movie on HBO and it was constantly interrupted due to signal loss.

Lack of a swivel for the TV - The tv stand in the armoir does not have a swivel so it is somewhat difficult to watch it from one side of the bed.

Restaurant/Breakfast - I guess it was what we ordered (Crab Meat Hash & Poached Eggs & Philly Steak and Eggs), but we were really let down after the great food we had via Room Service. The restaurant itself is very trendy and spacious. The staff was fairly attentive and good.

The others are not really "Cons" but suggestions:

Room Service pick-up - we got mixed messages from the room service staff delivering our food. The afternoon delivery person told us to set our tray outside of our door when we are finished. The evening person told us to call Room Service to let them know we are finished. We followed the afternoon person's instructions and our tray was removed. No biggie - our suggestion is to just put your tray outside your door - it will be picked up.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,009)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I will say, considering the negative reviews I had seen here before, I was pretty surprised to have such a wonderful experience at Loews! Sure, the valet was expensive and, yes, the outside looks like a corporate building. However, it's a historical building, and once inside, we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. Our room was large, clean and had a terrific view of the city skyline. The beds were cozy, and we spent a couple of mornings lounging in bed and resting it up. One morning, we even felt compelled to get room service breakfast - a little steep, but not quite as pricey as other equivalent hotels will charge. I would have to say - the gym was the best I have ever been to! It was huge, with ample equipment, a spa, sauna, and pool. Make sure to bring your bathing suit! Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel, and I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I booked this through Priceline so I didn't have much of a choice.The hotel looks like a corporate building whether in the lobby or the hallways and public spaces. You certainly won't get a warm feeling. Check in was friendly however and efficient. The rooms are OK but there are much better in town. The bathrooms are ready for renovation. The bed was comfortable and the room had more windows than most, so that part was nice. But given its location right on Market Street and a very "uncozy" feeling here, it barely warrants the 4* rating that it gets.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
new york
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Please do not be fooled by the four star rating of this hotel. No way does this property deserve a four star rating. The rooms are dated and cramped, the appointments are worn, the spa is below average, and the hotel staff is far to laid back to provide the kind of service one would expect from a four star hotel. Check-in was a chore and when finally getting settled in my room, the TV didn't work and engineering had to be called. My room was not cleaned properly, a bug was smashed into the drapery and remained there the entire length of my stay. There is simply no attention to detail. For example, after a long day of meetings I returned to my room to find my room service dishes still there. The room had been cleaned but the dishes were not even moved. Housecleaning actually cleaned around the dirty dishes. I called to complain and got attitude form the front desk, who claimed it was my responsibility to ask for the dishes to be removed. After a heated dialogue with the front desk, I went to work out. Upon returning to my room I found the dishes indeed had been removed, however no one bothered to clean up and left a sticky, crumply mess behind. About the only good thing I can say, is that I did enjoy the room service food. The dishes were well prepared and the kitchen was happy to accommodate my dietary restrictions. Other then that, every interaction I had with hotel staff was trying and annoying. Take my advice, choose another place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank newyorkcitygirl007
New York
Reviewed March 3, 2010

My husband and I went to Philly for a business/relaxing few days. My husband had a conference at U-Penn and rather than stay at the place where the conference was being held, we chose to stay at the Loews because of the reviews and so that I could really get a feel for Philly and relax a bit (since I saw there was a pool). Well, I was rather disappointed. The hotel is not in the best of areas as I had read and is not centrally located. It's probably about a 15-20 minute walk to Rittenhouse (and of course Penn is not walkable but we knew that). The hotel was too big and not in the nice chic big like Vegas hotels but more of a I'm afraid to go grab a coke by myself at midnight kind of big. The rooms were very dusty--so dusty that we had to have a purifier put into the room (thank goodness they did that but not sure why they wouldn't move us). The cleaning lady did not show up until 5 pm after a. I had called the night before t ocomplain about the dust and b. only after I was like "where the hell are they" at 2:00. Even then, they didn't bother cleaning under the glass that sits on top of all the desks which was full of disgusting black dirt. The people next to us smoked in a non-smoking room but they were told to stop. And the room was VERY VERY dry so much so that my throat and my husband's burnt. Parking is $38 and you really won't find street parking so don't fool yourself into thinking you will as we did. The pool is too cold and is just a lap pool. But, there is warm apple cider during the day for free and free wifi but only in the lobby and restaurant. The saving grace, is the restaurant --it's amazing. The food is G-R-E-A-T! So, do come here to eat- I had breakfast and dinner and both were amazing!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I paid $300.night for the "Come to Philly" package (or something like that....) It was a beautiful stay, but not what I would expect for $300.night.

The hotel is in an old bank, right in the center of the city. BEAUTIFUL!! The lobby is gorgeous, and you do feel as if you're in the lap of luxury.

I stayed in the concierge level because (1) I was taking the bar exam and wanted to silence in the room, and (2) the price is right because the package includes free parking (usually $40/day... so well worth the upgraded stay).

The room was silent -- perfect! It was a little smaller than I had imagined, and it was not particularly elegant. However, the view was outstanding. It had some cleanliness issues --- there were stains on the otherwise white comforter -- and brownish/red stains, at that. Gross. It was replaced upon my request.

Some employees were fantastic -- super helpful, and, when calling on the phone, made it a personalized experience. Some were not: the concierge desk, in particular, was unhelpful. They lost a gift basket that was sent to me, and suggested I see the front desk, who had just sent me to them. I had numerous instances of contact with them, and each time, it felt as though they were rushing us along.

There were two billing mistakes (one of which was the free parking, the other of which was the free internet, for which I was instead charged $35 for two nights). They fixed both errors, but they were errors nonetheless that required attention from me. They forgot to give me the gift that came with the package, too. Maybe not big inconveniences, but inconveniences nonetheless.

Valet - very unhappy with the valet service, and they tried to bill my stay ($80) even though it was part of the stay. Pretty rude about it, too. But they were quick about things....

Positives: view, room service (staff is great, prices not too inflated), quiet on the concierge floor, nice continental breakfast, FANTASTIC location, luxurious. SUPER comfortable bed, and some of the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel....

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank JandJ468
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Stayed here while house hunting. The staff were helpful and friendly and service was good. Location is good, close to city centre, restaurants and tourist sites. Enjoyed a meal in the restuarant on the ground floor. The main negative was the room. Quite small and looking very much in need of a refurbishment. Some tatty peeling wallpaper, broken lights, scratched paintwork, the door fell off the TV cupboard etc. The club floor is not much of an extra, providing only basic facilities, cold breakfast, hot drinks.
Good but room for improvement.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple