“Great Hotel in the Heart of Downtown Philly!”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Great Hotel in the Heart of Downtown Philly!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

There are a lot of things that I liked about this hotel and only a couple that I didn't. I'll start with the good.

The location is great! It is in the heart of downtown, close to restaurants, shopping, Market East train station, and only a few blocks from Old City. The rooms have obviously been renovated fairly recently and they are AWESOME - very modern, spacious, and comfortable. There is a Keurig coffee machine in each room, a safe in the closet and the rooms were incredibly clean.

Check-in starts at 4:00 but we had no problem checking in early when we arrived at 2:30. When the front desk clerk found out that we were visiting from Canada, she assigned us a room with a great view of Philly's downtown skyline. It was an awesome view!! There are always taxis waiting outside the hotel and the gym, sauna, and steam room are top notch. The staff was also very helpful and friendly.

What I didn't like:

Unfortunately, the pool sucks. It is a lap pool, divided into two lanes by a rope. There were at least five or six people in the pool while we were there and it was AWKWARD. Having two lap lanes makes it hard for more that two people to be in it at a time and I would suggest that the staff the rope out unless someone requests it. If a pool is important to your stay, I don't recommend this hotel.

There isn't any fridge space for personal use, it is just full of over-priced snacks and drinks.

We ordered room service one night and were aware that there would be a $4 delivery charge plus a 20% gratuity automatically added. I was surprised to see another line for a tip on the receipt. I realize that it is optional but with the delivery charge and 20% gratuity already added, I don't see the need to look for further money. That really disappointed me.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our convenient location and our recently enhanced and renovated guestrooms and other spaces.

We are also pleased that you found our team members to be friendly and helpful.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the lap pool in the fitness center. I am also sorry that you were disappointed with the mini bar refridgerator and the room service charges. We strive to make every experience at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel a memorable one and I apologize that we failed to do so with your stay. Please contact me directly if you wish to further discuss these issues. I hope you will give us another chance to host you.

Sean C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I went for a business conference. The rooms were nice, but the conference levels are very hard to navigate. It was hard to find the right rooms and access them. Some required escalators, others elevator to go just one floor and when you went up a staircase, it went nowhere. Banquet food was ok. I was disappointed given the price.

Room Tip: High up facing the city.
Green Features: I think we could opt out of getting towels cleaned daily.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed our guestrooms, as they were part of a recent $25 million enhancement project. I am sorry you found the building difficult to navigate. The hotel is the former home to the PSFS Bank and we have incorporated many of the original features and spaces into the design of the hotel. This includes the original elevators and escalators. It would be our pleasure to have a team member give you a tour of the property, if you allow us to host you again in the future. We appreciate your review.

Ventnor City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was my second time staying at the Loews. First, the location is great, easily accessible from the highway, and there are many parking garages within a few blocks if the hefty parking fee at the hotel is a concern. The hotel is very large, with an impressive modern lobby and a nice bar and lounge area. The rooms were minimally decorated, tasteful but not overboard. The bed was comfy and plush, to me the most important part. However, the room could have been slightly cleaner. I noticed this both of my stays. The hotel does accept dogs, and I stayed both times with mine. Upon check-in visitors receive a doggy care bag with treats, bowls, etc. Finally, all of the staff I encountered were all extremely pleasant and helpful. Great hotel if your travelling with a four legged companion. In that respect, the Loews is hard to beat...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. Thank you for your kind words about our location, easily accessible by transportation and a prime walking location to great restaurants, shopping and the historic district. Thank you for noting our lobby – we recently completed a $25 million enhancement project that included the lobby and our new restaurant Bank & Bourbon. I apologize that you were disappointed with the cleanliness of your room and I have reached out to my director of housekeeping regarding your issue so that we may continue to provide the stellar service our guests deserve and expect. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our Loews Loves Pets program and that you found our team members to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Having stayed at several Loews resorts in Florida I had high expectations. The good is the location in the middle of Center City and we had a room that overlooked City Hall which was fabulous. The hotel is very modern but it lacks a gift shop or any real usable seating space. They had the World Cup playing on a jumbo screen in the lobby and it was overflowing with screaming people night and day. You couldn't even enjoy a drink. The concierge Daniel was very helpful to us and was the most pleasant and useful employee that we encountered. You had to wait quite awhile to get a drink at the bar as all the bartenders were stood on the opposite side talking to each other as the lobby side went unattended and had half eaten food left discarded on plates at the bar. Gross. I ordered a drink and a cup of tea. The bartender had to go back to the kitchen 3 times to get, water, the tea bag, and then finally some milk. Nevermind that we didn't even get a saucer and when we put the tea bag on the end table a waiter came over to pick it up and gave us a dirty look. Our room was not as clean as it should have been. The tray with wine glasses had a half inch of dust on it as did the glasses. We used the glasses all three days and the tray was never cleaned of the dust. Our coffee pods and coffee cups were never replaced and as we had 3 people in a 4 person room you would expect enough towels and washcloths to go around. Well, not so. 2 of each. We called down to the desk and asked for 3 of each. What we got was only towels. When we went downstairs to talk to the front desk they said they would take care of it immediately. When we got back to the room we had 8 washcloths and at least as many coffee pods and coffee cups. Now I'm not complaining but it was obvious the maid was a little upset by this request and went a little overboard.There also is very little drawer space as the dresser is taken up with the useless mini bar and an entire cabinet for the Keurig. Lastly, the window behind the curtain had soap marks that were never cleaned off from who knows what. We didn't eat at the hotel so I cannot comment on their food. I've been to Philadelphia countless times and chose the Loews based on location and prior Loews experiences. I would not consider this hotel again as there are so many more options in Philly.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing west and you'll have a magnificent view of William Penn. Face east a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed our location and the spectacular views we have of Philadelphia. I am sorry that you were unable to get a place to sit in our newly enhanced lobby, which offers ample plush seating designed in groups to offer great areas for conversations, drinks or watching our 16 screen television wall. The World Cup was an exciting and busy time at the hotel, especially in the lobby as guests and others came to view the game and enjoy food and drink from our restaurant Bank & Bourbon. I apologize that as a result of the crowd you were unable to enjoy a drink and a quiet place to sit, but pleased to hear that Daniel was able to assist you. I want to apologize for the various room issues you noted, please know that I have alerted my Director of Housekeeping about your comments. If you would like to further discuss these issues, please reach out to me directly. I apologize that your experience was not a memorable one and hope you will afford us another opportunity in the future with a return visit.

charleston
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband, Neal Petersen, and I were booked into the Loew's Hotel by Entrepreneur's Organization, as Neal was one of their speakers for their East Coast Chapters annual conference - NERVE EO. We could not have been more pleased with the level of exceptional service from ALL hotel staff we interacted with and from the exceptional wait staff in the fabulous restaurant in the hotel lobby - Bank & Bourbon - Talley was exceptional in provided great service and attention to small details that made our stay to much better! They graciously sliced up the mangoes I bought at the Reading Terminal so I could surprise my husband in bed with a fruit plate ~ that is above and beyond!! As a devoted cook and lover of fine food - I was never disappointed, wish I could spend a few days apprenticing in the kitchen, as I have done in other hotel kitchens globally to learn and expand my culinary knowledge - I would learn MUCH from these chefs!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are thrilled that our team members made your stay a memorable one and that they were able accommodate your request. We will let the team members you noted know of your kind words. We are so happy you enjoyed our new restaurant Bank & Bourbon and our chef does offer cooking classes – I hope you will join him for one during your next visit to the property. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Minden, Nevada, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our first time at this property in Philadelphia. Our usual haunt was unavailable. We were wonderfully surprised by the high level of service, the comfort of the rooms, and the attentiveness of the friendly staff. On a tip from the very helpful Bellman named Kevin, my husband, a bit of a coffee nut, took the short walk to Joes's where he had the best coffee he has had since moving to America. We loved watching the early rounds of the World Cup on the giant screen in the lobby. We ate dinner one night in the hotel restaurant, and found the food delicious. Within walking distance from this location, you will find great dinning, unique shopping and wonderful nightlife. I highly recommend this hotel for your next visit to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: We were there with only adults. We did not try breakfast.
Green Features: Real drinking glasses in the rooms--not styrofoam. The usual notes about not washing towels every day as you choose.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sean C, General Manager at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that our team members were able to make your stay more enjoyable. I will certainly share your wonderful compliments with them. We are glad you enjoyed dinner in our new restaurant Bank & Bourbon and that you took advantage of our central location and enjoyed shopping, dining and a great nightlife just steps away from the hotel. We are so pleased that you stayed with us and hope that you will stay with us again soon! Thank you for your review.

Philadelphia
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Extremelly welll located, friendly staff and very comfortable rooms.
The only down I found is that they would charge you to drop something to your room. I had a package delivered at Fedex which is right inside the building but the concierge would charge you to take it up.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. I am thrilled you enjoyed our prime location, just steps away from great shopping, dining and historic sites. I am also pleased you enjoyed your encounters with our friendly team members. I am sorry that you were disappointed in the charge associated with FedEx deliveries to your guestroom, and I would be happy to further discuss this with you if you would like. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed the property and look forward to hosting you again soon!