“Beautiful Art Deco Hotel - great central location”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beautiful Art Deco Hotel - great central location”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I thought the hotel was beautiful and I liked the openness of the lobby bar, nice live music the one night. I found the waitstaff to be fairly good and always friendly. Front doormen were always there, always smiling and helpful.
The elevators are a bit slow. The beds were comfy, room service was good - fairly quick and food was hot. Some of the conference area is old, dark and the low ceilings made it feel cramped. The banquet food was marginal - they messed some of it up but I guess I have low expectations. The meeting rooms were rather chilly.
Location was good and I loved being able to walk to Reading Market Terminal for lunch one day and then I took the train out to see some colleges and it was very easy. Would have been more so - if the ticket seller and the conductor would have quoted me the same price... but I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,026)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Great historic adaptation, great spa, great food and drink, great service. Tiniest lobby ever in a big hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Stayed here over the weekend 09/30 - 10/2/11 and I found nothing exceptional about this place. I encountered Sonya at the front desk. She was pleasant and helpful. However, I had to ask all the questions, rates, check out time, etc. When I got to my room I found things in order. If I had to complain about anything in the room it would be the very small closet. Things were clean and nicely arranged. The shower head didn't give off much force but was good enough. I went to turn on my computer and found there wasn't free WiFi. I called down to the front desk and was told that it would cost $10.95 per day and I could use the business service's computer free of charge. I thought NOT! While I was on my way out of the hotel to go to dinner, I encountered Sonya again and she gave me the WiFi free of charge and a free drink for the restaurant located in the hotel, only after I became a Loews Hotel/Resort member. Yet, had I not called, I think I would have gotten charged the $10.95.

The view of the city from my room was clear. However where this hotel is located isn't where you would call "exciting.". There are several eateries in the area but things close quite early. There is a shopping mall area with stores to shop a short walking distance from the hotel, but that is about it.

Would I stay here again -- probably, only if I didn't want much to do. The employees were nice and friendly and always said hello. When I went to check out, the front desk employee gave me the wrong bill. He was able to correct the mistake.

Some how, at 3:30 a.m. in the morning, the fire alarm sounded and went on for about 5 minutes. It was excessively loud and I did hear the fire trucks -- not sure if there was ever a fire. There were several things going on in the hotel this weekend and a kid could have easily triggered the alarm. The gentleman on the PA system apologized and things went back to normal.

Check out time is at 12:00 noon. Not sure why housekeeping came by at 9:00 a.m. to clean up. I didn't complain about this but found it odd, especially if check out time isn't until 12 noon.

Again, I found nothing really special about this place, just average.

Room Tip: If you care, ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tracey S
EdeanKam, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for sharing your comments and for staying with us at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. We will be sure to share your notes with our staff. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 28, 2011

...it's not too bad.

The building is the oldest skyscraper in Philly (or something like that) and they use this in their marketing. Does that mean it's going to be historic and full of fun, cool things to look at that remind you of the "old days"? Or, does that mean that it's going to be outdated, with slow elevators, an awkward layout, and not a lotta fun?

It means the later. But's that's not terrible. Heck.

When I got there my room was ready (it was 5:30 p.m. or so). I was there for one night so didn't really expect a big "experience" out of any of this. The room itself was comfortable with a nice view - I was in a corner, so windows on two sides. My only real complaint here was the roomkey was tricky to use... I've seen that problem before.

I went to the concierge lounge in the evening. It's closed. What? Really? It's closed? Typically every business hotel in the top tiers (Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, etc.) keeps an open concierge lounge for their higher paying guests - free water, "honor bar", some snacks. I wanted a quick water or diet coke. Nope. And it's in a weird location - just outside the elevator bank. Odd.

Breakfast was fine. Standards in the concierge lounge.

Will I stay here again? Probably not, if the Marriott is available. But I wouldn't tell someone to run away. It's serviceable if not memorable.

If you're a tourist you should always make an effort to stay at a more interesting hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Great hotel with wonderful views of the city, as Loews First members we asked for an upgrade and they put us in a corner room on the 26th floor with a wonderful view of Billy Penn and the Philadelphia skyline. All the employees treated us as special.

Room Tip: Like most hotels being in their club gains you amenities. Corner rooms looking north have a great vi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I recently booked a room at this hotel for a wedding, the wedding began at 3:00, before booking the room I confirmed an early check-in for the wedding party. I arrived at 1pm and was informed that I would be checked into a room shortly, by 2:00 I asked for a room, I was offered to use the fitness showers and bathrooms to prepare for the wedding. I got a call around 4, an hour into church, that a room was ready. I left my luggage with the bellman since I had no room, they delivered my bags to the room. Then realized that I was missing 2 dresses from my luggage. I woke up the next early by housekeeping banging on the door. I requested an extra hour to gather my stuff, I was firmly told that I would not be allowed 1 extra hour, after I explained that I wasn't checked in by the listed time on the website. The staff does not care about their customers, I was very disappointed with my stay and told the hotel that I would never return, the hotel representative said "I understand"! All I can say is that this hotel is pathetic!

Room Tip: Don't trust what they promise you, don't bother printing out the confirmation, they don'...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank MinMin1124
EdeanKam, Managing Director at Loews Philadelphia Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

My comment: Thank you for your very detailed feedback regarding your stay. I apologize for the numerous inconveniences you encountered during your visit. The issues you described from housekeeping banging on your door, to your missing dresses, to you not being able check in early is disappointing to say the least. Our standard check in time begins at 4:00pm and unfortunately there are some circumstances that are beyond our control that prevents us from honoring every request such as an early check-in. Please know we try our best to make every guest stay a memorable one.

We have reviewed these incidents in detail with our leadership team and feel assured that distinct measures have been undertaken to deter any future reoccurrences of this nature.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies. I would like to speak to you further in regards to your dresses so I can conduct a thorough investigation on the situation. Please call me personally so we can review the matter.

My deepest apologies.

Richard J. Staub
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 20, 2011

when we got to the hotel at 3:30 the room wasn't ready. it was fine considering check in was at 4pm, but we were told that the room wouldn't be ready for another hr or so. so guest services took my cell number and said they would call when the room was ready. at 5:30 i received no call and went back to the hotel and then received a room.

i have stayed in many hotels and have never encountered this problem before. and to think if i hadnt shown up at the hotel i might have not gotten a call at all!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Upas12
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feed back and the opportunity it gives us to address your issues. We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you suffered during your recent visit to our hotel. The issue that you described regarding your room not being ready at check-in is not only inexcusable but also embarrassing.

Loews Philadelphia Hotel values your business and we strive to meet and exceed your expectations. We sincerely hope that you will extend to us one more opportunity to demonstrate that we can meet your expectations and render a memorable and pleasant experience.

Again my sincere apologies.

Richard J. Staub