“Hotel is decent, but valet attendants stole money”

Loews Philadelphia Hotel
Ranked #7 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Hotel is decent, but valet attendants stole money”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I know enough not to keep valuables in my car, and I noted I had a few dollars in quarters in the change container (and a lot more smaller coins). But I figured, nah, this is a classy hotel, right? They wouldn't employ petty thieves.

Sure enough, when I got the car back, all the quarters but one were gone. I had even tipped them well ($10 to park and $10 to retrieve). Oh well.

The hotel though was okay. It's certainly not 4 star just because of the hotel (maybe it gets that for the location) -- the furniture was pretty worn, and the TV a big tube thing from the '90's. Internet was slow and $11 a day. But the beds were comfortable, everything was really clean, and no bedbugs especially is worthy of high praise. The conference areas were also really nice (the main conference room is full of windows, which makes it a lot better than the typical hotel ballroom).

Room service though was a little uneven. Usually it was delivered quickly and was really good. Another time it was delivered a half hour late, cold, and the same dish was prepared differently than before. And the price was different than what was on the in-room menu (although they did correct it in the final bill). But also for food, you can go just two blocks north to a giant indoor food market -- sort of like a huge mall food court, but all independent mini-restaurants that are a couple steps up in quality. There's also a CVS pharmacy two blocks east, if you need basics.

Hotel staff were really friendly, and once when we were riding the elevator down with a bellhop, he kind of went out of his way to engage us and wish us a great stay. So staff here do care. Just not the valet staff, apparently.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,007)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I stayed at the Loews for a conference in April. The location was great. It was only a couple blocks from the convention center, and walking distance to good shopping, dining and Independence Square where the Liberty Bell is. The hotel itself was good, although it does surprise me when I continue to see old tube TVs in hotels that want to be known as classy. Those old TV's definately date the room which, otherwise, may be up-to-date. The room was clean enough, and room service was prompt.

However, I was disappointed when the hotel overbooked the hotel one night, and 2 of my colleagues couldn't get a room. This was even with reservations that were made back in February for an April stay. I even called the week prior to get confirmation numbers and not a word was spoken about the hotel being overbooked. Not good.

I would recommend the Loews for a good location, and a decent stay. However, be prepared to find another hotel during busy times as they seem to do a terrible job of keeping track of reservations.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 28, 2011

The hotel is alright, really nothing special. My biggest complaint is the rating for this hotel. This is not a 4 star hotel; it's more like a 3 star. I have been to 5 star, 4 star, 3 star hotels in various cities including Philly so I feel like my rating is pretty accurate. The hallways in the hotel have a lofty feel to it and it doesn't look like it's too clean up to 4 star standards. The back entrance/exit area is right next to the elevator which takes you to your room and during my stay there the door was halfway open with no doorman or security guard within sight. I feel like anybody could have walked through that door and taken the elevator up. The room itself was alright not great, some of the silver containers in the bathroom were not clean properly and there were stains in them. The TV was old and out dated, the hallway was noisy and you can hear the cleaning crew and other guest talking at night. I actually heard someone trying pickup women in the hallway; they were having a whole conversation. This brings up another thing; the clientele in this hotel does not fit the type of clientele who would go to a 4 star hotel. Overall decent hotel but does not deserve 4 star rating.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Arcadia, California
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed one night. It is in the legendary PSFS tower on the Market Street. It is two blocks from the City Hall and close to everything: dining, shops, subway, train and bus stations.

The hotel decor is contemporary and business like. The room and bath are clean. The pillow-top mattress is extremely comfortable. We had a good night’s sleep. Windows are all around the room allowing plenty of light during the day. The bath countertop has limited space for your stuffs to spread out. We had breakfast in SoleFood and it was mediocre. The staff was all friendly and helpful. It is a standard 4-diamond city hotel in a great location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2011

We were pleasantly surprised with our stay at the Loews after reading mixed reviews. The hotel was beautiful and the room was so nicely appointed. Our room 2209 was complete with a breathtaking view of the clock tower and other skyline highlights. The beds were so comfortable and it seemed like one of the cleanest and most kept up rooms I've stayed in in a long time! We did use the pool with our kids. It's not really a kids' pool but they seem to tolerate kids there. My only complaint with the hotel was the expensive parking. $43/day is so steep when you are a guest someplace. I would have gone searching for a cheaper spot to leave our car, but we had our young kids and would have been hard to schlep them through the rain. All in all a great place. We booked the Loews off of Priceline and got a great deal! We would happily return!

Room Tip: Priceline-name your price 4 stars
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank liz531
Toronto
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Stayed four nights, room was of a very good standard. Checked in late, ordered room service food which was terrible...cold and carelessly presented....and when I complained, they promised to take it off the bill immediately. When I was checking out, it was still on my bill....not good....and had to ask again for it to be removed.

Concierge and bell captain service was courteous and very helpful. Great service in the bar ....bartender remembered my drink from previous evening. All in all, a good experience though I would avoid the food.

5 Thank Don35
New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2011

My room was very stylish and comfortable - wish my stay was more than one night. It had everything I wanted and made me feel at home. It's located in the heart of Center City, so you can walk to a lot of the attractions. Had a room service lunch, which was very good. Staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business